2005 Pontiac Vibe Door Locks Problem

Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island, Vermont
jmvvibeowner

2005 Pontiac Vibe Door Locks Problem

Post by jmvvibeowner »

I have a problem with my front door locks. The driver's door lock I can turn the key to the rear to unlock the door, but can not turn the key to the front to lock the door. But on my passenger's door, I can turn the key to the front to lock the door but can not turn the key to the rear to unlock the door. I thought I am supposed to be able to turn the key in both directions to lock and unlock the doors, but do not know what's wrong. Any ideas? Also, these are power locks, but I want to be able to use the key to lock and unlock the doors.
Thanks.
Mark

Re: 2005 Pontiac Vibe Door Locks Problem

Post by Mark »

If you have mostly used the fob to lock/unlock the doors until now, then the key has worn with the ignition and the door locks remain in an unworn state. My 04 was so bad that when the battery died I wasn't able to open the door, and I had to have a locksmith look up the VIN and cut me an original key.

That's been ten or more years ago now, not sure he'd still even be able to get the key code from GM. If you have a spare key that you haven't used much try that on the doors, if it works then get some copies made asap.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
CraftsmanQuad19

Post by CraftsmanQuad19 »

Not sure where you’re located, but is it possible the lock cylinders are just iced up?
“I don’t do nothing well.” -Keith
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Mark is definitely on the correct path. The lock cylinders are probably stuck due to lack of use. Some lubricant like WD-40 or silicone spray should help free it up. If that doesn't do it, it's likely due to the key being worn, but the lock cylinder not.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
jmvvibeowner

Post by jmvvibeowner »

Thanks a lot guys! I agree that it is probably from lack of use. My car is 15 now and has 218,000 miles on it. I hope I can get a new key cut because it still runs great! I have not used my keys as much and have relied more on my remote. I will see if I can get a new key cut with my VIN number. MY ex used to get the keys cut so maybe he can do it as he still works at a dealership!