OHIO - DUI plates?

Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island, Vermont
bodhi_tree777

OHIO - DUI plates?

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

I guess these have been around for a year or so, just heard about them in another forum. I guess certain 1st offense (and all 2nd, 3rd and 4th offense) DUI's get to wear these on their cars in Ohio. Like a bright yellow beacon. What a great idea They call them "party plates". Now if only they would do this for (removed) offenders..
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
Kari

Post by Kari »

The thought of that kind of public embarrassment ought to at least make them think twice before they drink and drive.
GenVibe Global Moderator
03VibeOttawa

Re: OHIO - DUI plates? (bodhi_tree777)

Post by 03VibeOttawa »

good idea, but do they have state laws regarding coloured license plate covers? They are supposed to here in Ontario, but police don't seem to bust anyone. I see plate covers tinted very dark, or coloured here that would totally obscure that yellow plate.
03VibeOttawa–’03 Salsa 5spd. Fast Wheels Blade 17”s/Fuzion Zr1s (summer),Blizzak Revo1/’04 WRX rims, (winter),Tokico HP Struts,Tein S-Tech Springs,Progress RSB,K&N Typhoon SRI,SLP ram air hood,Magnaflow CB,DC header. Sold 11/9/2012 w/ 217,633kms.
bodhi_tree777

Re: OHIO - DUI plates? (Feelin' The Vibe)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Quote, originally posted by Feelin’ The Vibe »good idea, but do they have state laws regarding coloured license plate covers? They are supposed to here in Ontario, but police don't seem to bust anyone. I see plate covers tinted very dark, or coloured here that would totally obscure that yellow plate. Not sure. Maybe they should print "CAUTION! DRUNK DRIVER" on them as well
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Not against the idea of the "scarlet letter" but I do feel for the family members who share the car with the drunken offender for they too are now branded as a drunk and to watch out for them.There is no perfect answer. Take away their license and they still drive illegally, raise their insurance, they drive without it. Maybe sew their mouths shut?Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

I've heard that anyone driving with those plates can be pulled over at anytime for a chat with the constabulary. No probable cause or traffic offense needed.I see a lot of these plates on the streets. They have actually been around for a long time but it used to be at the discretion of the judge. A couple of years ago it was made mandatory because most judges weren't ordering them as part of the sentencing. The offender has to buy them in order to be allowed to drive. After a time period they are able to buy regular plates again.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
ColonelPanic

Re: OHIO - DUI plates? (Feelin' The Vibe)

Post by ColonelPanic »

They can change the color of the plate with a cover but it's still obvious it isn't a standard issue.. those things appear to be stamped from 40 year old dies. The newer plates are graphic and some are flat with screened on graphics/characters. They look nothing like that one. I'm surprised it doesn't say anything about 'DUI' on it, but I guess djkeev makes a good statement about the families... i suppose they want it to be obvious but not that obvious.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

I think in MI on your 1st or 2nd offense you actually lose your drivers license. Quote, originally posted by djkeev »There is no perfect answer. Take away their license and they still drive illegally, raise their insurance, they drive without it. Maybe sew their mouths shut?Nasograstric tube then?
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Do something stupid - pay the price! In this case, public humiliation! Great idea and something I wish would happen here.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
bodhi_tree777

Re: OHIO - DUI plates? (star_deceiver)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Quote, originally posted by star_deceiver »Do something stupid - pay the price! In this case, public humiliation! Great idea and something I wish would happen here.I'm starting to think that (in this image-driven world we live in) public shame and humiliation is the only real deterrent to combat stupidity. We should bring back stockades and rotten cabbage for repeat offenders.
B14CK_H4WK

Post by B14CK_H4WK »

i did hear that they are suppose to make pink plates for sexual offenders and other colors for other crimes but im not sure what the status is on it
06Trix

Re: (B14CK_H4WK)

Post by 06Trix »

That was talked about several years ago, but nothing came of it. Apparently it was a little too mean spirited considering (removed) offenders also have to register, report regularly and move away from schools.
- Joe