Winter Storm - Scary or Sensationalized?

Indiana, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, North & South Dakota, Nebraska, Wisconsin
ponta2147

Winter Storm - Scary or Sensationalized?

Post by ponta2147 »

So, what do you think- is this crazy storm thing heading our way (Midwest) going to actually blanket us in 1-2 feet of snow, or is it going to cough out a couple inches and peter out? Especially specifically in Illinois, which has missed out on a lot of the heavy snow this year.While the former would be fun (for me, since I don't have to travel and we just went grocery shopping), I am cynically assuming it will be the latter. Sorry, but the weathermen are terrible at predicting the actual awesome storms, and usually when they hype something up it turns out to be nothing.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
KITT222

Re: Winter Storm - Scary or Sensationalized? (ponta2147)

Post by KITT222 »

Depends. Does my Vibe get the garage tonight? If yes, it looks nice, and if it stops by the time I park at school, even better. But if I don't get the garage, well, it's annoying to say the least. I really am not a fan in general of snow. I've learned once you start to drive, you learn to hate snow more.
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

No area panics more over a weather forecast than New York City. Everything is doom and gloom and they run around like chicken little reporting out in the streets that the sky is falling!! Mostly over hyped and then they complain about what we got. Too much, too little, too cold, too warm, the mayor screwed up handling it, the governor screwed up handling it, blah blah blah!They are forecasting 4 - 8 with 1/2" of ice on top, we'll see. The last ice storm they forecast gave us 7" of snow!Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
Salsa Guy

Re: Winter Storm - Scary or Sensationalized? (djkeev)

Post by Salsa Guy »

They canceled school (even the university) before it even snow or the temps got below 32F. Well we have 6" inches now and call for 18" by the end of the day. The bad news it south and east of us is getting nailed with ICE. You can deal with snow but ice things get really ugly!
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

I'm glad it's missing us. We're just getting rain.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
kostby

Post by kostby »

It's hard to argue with always being prepared for a true emergency, but...Panic-inducing storm reporting has apparently become an Economic Stimulus Program driven by the news outlets.As someone in my area tweeted yesterday, it looked like Black Friday at the stores yesterday afternoon.And then the same news outlets that spend a week inducing panic have the audacity to comment negatively about all the hysterical panic-buying they CAUSED yesterday.We're supposed to get up to "inches" of ice in Central Indiana this afternoon, up to 18 inches of snow north of Lafayette, and mostly rain south of Bloomington.We experienced a bad ice storm just north of us in 1990. A town we visit often just 18 miles north was without power for two weeks while they literally rebuilt the power grid from scratch, one neighborhood at a time.Be prepared. Be safe. Be sensible.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
Salsa Guy

Re: (kostby)

Post by Salsa Guy »

Yea we got nailed a few years back by an ice storm. We were without power for 10 days. Had friends and co-workers eastern OK that were without power for a month. However they are a bit more prepared. Most have generators, wood/gas heat. Perhaps my best investment, before that storm, was a gas stove and dryer. We were lucky and were able to get a generator. We could wash and dry clothes, cook and had central heat. The only thing we couldn't do was run the microwave when the heat was running. And ofcourse the hot tub had to be turned off.
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Apparently someone in Ohio that I know says it's really bad and icy out there already, and she thinks she's going to lose power soon...Here in Chicago it's kind of spitting snow, but according to the weather maps the worst is yet to come...I am still skeptical it's going to be truly epic, but we have a full pantry and no reason to go anywhere if we don't have to. If it does get crazy I'll just be a little bummed because I was supposed to go out tonight with some friends!
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
AZViking

Post by AZViking »

We only got 5.4" yesterday here in Sioux Falls before the storm headed east. They tell us the wind chill can be anywhere from -30°F to -50°F tonight. Glad we have our cars in the garage, but it would help if the garage was insulated.
2015 Kia Sorento 32,000 miles, 2010 Kia Sportage LX, 68,000 miles
09Vibe

Post by 09Vibe »

Well, I'm kind of hoping for more then a dusting which has been all thats fell pretty much the last two winters in the Toronto area. Have had these new snow tires that I would like to try ! They say we are looking at 30-40 centimetres tonight in our area, high winds and drifting snow. We shall see !
2009 2.4 Litre 5 Speed
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Im out the area for snow, but I say its all hype anyway because the news & society ( in general ) love drama. Everything is so dramatized nowdays. I would be prepared but not alarmed. We have hurricane season here & we get crazy forecasts that NEVER happen. The other year they forecasted 13 hurricanes & all we got was heavy rain LOL. I always have flashlights ready & fresh batteries. All you can do is all you can do right?
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Salsa Guy

Re: (cptnsolo77)

Post by Salsa Guy »

Well this storm is epic in this area. I lived in the Northeast and upper midwest but the 2 biggest storms I've seen (in terms of amount of snow) was in East TN, and now in East OK. We don't have snow removal equipment and with the drifts, over 6 ft now, we may not see a plow for several days!
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

We were supposed to have the blizzard of the apocalypse before Christmas. It came, the wind blew a bit, left a little dusting of snow on the ground.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
jackie879

Post by jackie879 »

Here in St. Louis I have about an inch of sleet at my house and it's still coming down. Tonight it's supposed to change to all snow and accumulate quickly. It was bad enough to close all schools and most businesses around here. Spring/summer can't get here soon enough!
BadBrew

Post by BadBrew »

Send all this snow to Montreal!! We will be able to manage this, still go to work/school and our airport will have at most some slight delays We're supposed to get only 2-4 inches overnight...
2005 Lava Vibe base Garage
vibenvy

Re: Winter Storm - Scary or Sensationalized? (BadBrew)

Post by vibenvy »

I think the forecast of "Snow-ma-geddon" for the Chicagoland area has been a little out of control. I do believe in preparing by having plenty of food, water, etc. but people are acting like it's a huge deal and it's really not all that bad. I will more than likely be staying home from work tomorrow though considering when I headed home at 1:00 PM today the country roads I take to and from work were already starting to drift over . Work is so not worth running the Vibe into a ditch or anything.The only reason people in the Chicagoland area are freaking out is because we haven't had a storm with this much snow since 1999. The only thing I am worried about is the power going out, besides that, I will be hibernating all day tomorrow with no worries. The Vibes are safe and sound in the heated garage. All is a-ok here in Sandwich for the time being .If anyone has to head out in this crap, be careful.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

:munch::cool:
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
kostby

Post by kostby »

Storm clouds seen from GOES satellite Direct HiRes link-->http://nnvl.noaa.gov/images/hi...1.jpg

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
tpollauf

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »Apparently someone in Ohio that I know says it's really bad and icy out there alreadyWell it certainly isn't me Michelle Sleet is hitting our roof as I write this, can you hear it I too plan on hibernating all day tomorrow as just about everything will be closed. Plus it will give me valuable time to get back on the LED mods Just so long as we don't lose power then I'll be fine. Would have to fire up the Fireplace which I haven't used in over ten years. At least it is there as a back up heating source
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
poyota_apprentice

Post by poyota_apprentice »

Im in the Buffalo NY area, and all schools, churches, govt offices and universities have already closed tonite. we havent had an inch yet. all the supervisors at my job actually told all employees to call in and call off tomorrow too..... we'll see what happens.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

OH MAN IT WAS EPIC!!!We were out in it and WOW crazy whiteout conditions. We drove to the train station to take the train to see friends... the trains ran mostly underground so they were fine. It was great to get out of the house and play in the snow. We got to see a lot of thundersnow and the winds were biting and painful, but mostly we were just at dinner. Left the city at 10:30pm and caught trains back out, all was well until we tried to exit the parking garage... unplowed... had to dig our way out. Then tried to turn onto the street... street was plowed but corner was not... had to dig our way out. Mind you, Chris and I are both very good snow drivers so this wasn't stupidity, just chaos.Got on the highway to make the 10 mile trek home... total whiteout but we luckily caught up to a semi and stayed right behind him in his tire tracks... pretty smooth sailing home (at 20mph) though people all around us were stranded and visibility sometimes dropped to 20ft, we knew if the semi was still going we could follow in his tracks and follow his flashers. Made it to the exit onto the other highway, 5 miles from home, looked like it was blocked but eventually made it around. Got on the highway and it was about the same as the previous... so close now... but NONE of the exits were plowed... everyone was stuck on the off ramps... so we kept going. Even the exit to a major state road was unplowed... kept going, we knew the highway ended and dumped off onto a road... but then everyone was stopped. Stuck. Huge accident ahead or something... turned off the car and waited... Chris went out to talk but learned nothing... people turned around so Chris helped direct everyone else to turn around... driving the wrong way down the highway in whiteout... but then the ON RAMP to the state road was plowed! So.... we exited using the on ramp... and the state road was great! We plowed ahead, not even bothering with stop lights if we didn't see anyone coming (didn't want to lose momentum), and made it through all the side streets (Palatine is doing a wonderful job plowing, better than the highways) and about... halfway down our block. Completely untouched of course, and at least a foot deep in the middle (more in the drifts)... but we were so close, right in front of our building, so Chris and I grabbed the shovels from the garage and dug a path to the garage... and we got Big Red back home! So yeah, we are staying home tomorrow. I am just thankful we didn't get hit with ice.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Damm girl, sounds like you had one hell of an interesting evening. Not surprising to any of us, the Vibe made it through your journey Seeing when you sent this out, you should still be in bed sleeping. Enjoy your day off, I know I am
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Salsa Guy

Re: (tpollauf)

Post by Salsa Guy »

20" inches in OKie land, Tulsa only got 14", NONE of the county roads are plowed. We live on a hill and all 3 roads are impassable. My buddy was out in his 4X4 and tried to get to the highway (we have 2 within 2 miles. Right now trying to dig out my garage (4 ft drift) an maybe take the AWD Trix out for a little spin around the hood.
DiveNut

Re: (rmckinjr)

Post by DiveNut »

18"+ here. Had 4-5 foot drifts on my driveway, even larger in the back yard. Thank god for snow blowers! Not that I can go anywhere...streets have not been plowed yet. Be safe everyone.
Bare Bones Base, Abyss 2004 Vibe, Debadged, Auto, ABS, GM Performance Supercharger, Injen CAI, 2.3" URD Pulley, Unichip,Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler SOLD

1972 Plymouth Duster 340 (Strip/Street Project)
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Well I tried to get out of the driveway and got stuck about 10ft down the unshovled area (my drive is 90 yards long). The thing that amkes it really tough is going backwards. Going to try to shovel out an area where I can get turned around and make a better run at it. Right now my back is really sore, thank god I have 2 strong sons 16 & 18 that can help me tackle this.
ponta2147

Re: (tpollauf)

Post by ponta2147 »

No days off for me... I work from home and the power is on, so it's a work day. Got a few deadlines tomorrow for people across the country that I still need to meet!
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Here some pics of my stuck AWD Matrix In deep Oldest Boy shovelingMy Garage Back door Tuesday Morning. The hot tub is buried out there.
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by rmckinjr »My Garage Back door Tuesday Morning. The hot tub is buried out there.What the heck is wrong with that storm door? Is that intentional, custom or Act-of-God?
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Storm door? That was an imprint of my door in the snow that was piled up. Well we made it to the store today. Walmart, Quick Trip, Liquor Store, Walgreens and Swan's Dairy (the only place that had milk with in 20 miles or more). Roads were passable had chains on the minivan. BAD accident on I-44 and closed it down.
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

the blizzard was crazy...left work around 2:30 on tuesday and half an hour later, was right in the middle of it. visibility dropped to like zip in oak park. went past north riverside and the wind, aside from driving the snow sideways, had knocked a light post into harlem ave. crazy! the empty parking lot looked like i was in the middle of antartica hahahaha.dug around the snow drifts to the garage yesterday, and did the driveway, but no one plowed the alley, so i'm home again today hope the vibers in the midwest are good
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by rmckinjr »Storm door? That was an imprint of my door in the snow that was piled up. Oh yeah. Now I see it. I was trying to figure out why you would've cut down a storm door in that manner. Keep the kids in but let the dogs out?It was so thin looking that it just looked like only the bottom half, only cut out.An optical delusion.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Wow. That snow is pretty bad. How much accumulation has come in just this storm? I do not envy any of you. Our area of the Midwest somehow got lucky and escaped it. Then again we had the snow storm earlier, so I guess we each get a bad one. Ramen - You Vibe on S-techs handled the snow? Or was it another car?
Salsa Guy

Re: (KITT222)

Post by Salsa Guy »

Quote, originally posted by KITT222 »Wow. That snow is pretty bad. How much accumulation has come in just this storm? I do not envy any of you. Our area of the Midwest somehow got lucky and escaped it. Then again we had the snow storm earlier, so I guess we each get a bad one. Ramen - You Vibe on S-techs handled the snow? Or was it another car?We had 20" in NE OK