3D printing grille parts?!

List items you have for sale, want to buy, or see for sale (ie. seen on eBay). NO COMMERCIAL LISTINGS! (follow posting rules)
VIBRATR

3D printing grille parts?!

Post by VIBRATR »

EDIT* I FINALLY found the part in Texas! Being shipped to me now :)

Hello! I'm new to this forum, I have only used the Jeep forums before this. I own a 2009 Vibe GT. (it is our 2nd Vibe, this one replaced our '09 base model that was totaled this summer by a deer!) Happy to be here! I love my Vibe... she has 113k miles and has been pretty well maintained by the previous owners. I have a couple minor things to fix, but one thing is really giving me a hard time. I am in need of the left lower outer grille piece. The small skinny one by the fog light, which is also missing. I have searched high and low for this! I knew it was a discontinued part but geeeeeeez! I work at AutoZone, and have tried every avenue through our accounts there, I've searched every corner of the internet including many online junk and salvage yards and haven't had any luck! So my idea now, is to see if somewhere can 3D print me one by making a mirror image of the one from the right side... has anyone ever done this? Or maybe someone has another idea....??? I would appreciate and help here! THANKS!
Last edited by VIBRATR on Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Vibe GT - Mystic Blue
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 - Flame Red, 3.5' lift on 33s.
joatmon

Re: 3D printing grille parts?!

Post by joatmon »

Is it GM part # 88975668?

It doesn't seem like the kind of part you'd find using car-part.com, too small to get junkyards to inventory. Might have to just find a junkyard that has an 09-10 GT and go there to see what's left of the front end. I see where there have been past ebay listings for that part, none current, but maybe check there periodically for new listings
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Rockauto usually has grille things like that available. I think the only way you might find it at AZ is using nexparts. Otherwise it's not going to be listed regularly in the system.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

If you are able to find a model or get the part modeled, you will want to to have it printed in ABS (and paint it) or even better ASA (and paint it). The most common 3D printing filament, PLA, breaks down quickly under direct UV (sunlight).

On the other hand it might be cheaper and less work to go to the different junk yards in your area and ask if they have a '09 Vibe in stock, then go look for the part.

How does the bumper look without that part? Would it make sense to remove the plastic part on the other side to make it symmetrical?
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
VIBRATR

Post by VIBRATR »

I finally found a dealership in Texas that had one in stock. I've already tried junk yards and salvage and they are always gone. Driver's side is impossible to find, whereas the passenger side is available... makes no sense lol Thanks for the suggestions. Now I just need to replace the fog light.
VIBRATR

Post by VIBRATR »

SeattleJeremy wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:08 pm If you are able to find a model or get the part modeled, you will want to to have it printed in ABS (and paint it) or even better ASA (and paint it). The most common 3D printing filament, PLA, breaks down quickly under direct UV (sunlight).

On the other hand it might be cheaper and less work to go to the different junk yards in your area and ask if they have a '09 Vibe in stock, then go look for the part.

How does the bumper look without that part? Would it make sense to remove the plastic part on the other side to make it symmetrical?
It would look weird. But I FINALLY found one! :)
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

VIBRATR wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:53 am It would look weird. But I FINALLY found one! :)
Great news. Glad you where able to find one :D
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT