CA to ban new gas vehicles 2035

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
joatmon

CA to ban new gas vehicles 2035

Post by joatmon »

Seems like this is where things are going but its weird to see it

California Governor Signs Order Banning Sales Of New Gasoline Cars By 2035
zbyers

Re: CA to ban new gas vehicles 2035

Post by zbyers »

That is a unique move, but is the way the future is going. I feel by then we should have a lot of vehicles that are electric, so it makes sense.

This only applies to new sales, right?

I wonder what kind of kickback Tesla will get.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

In 15 years we'll know :o Us older members here should remember the MANY mandates put into effect (theorized anyways) that never materialized. The biggest one, back in the late 70's early 80's, was that this country was suppose to be permanently a part of the SI system (system international ..... metric system). Although they finally did start implementing it alongside our good'ol english, it never abolished it from everyday use.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Mark

Post by Mark »

If I'm still around 15 years from now, I suspect I'll be surprised to learn that any manufacturers are still making gasoline powered vehicles.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

About time. Yes....our cars are bad for the enviroment. Time to progress 8-) A electric car would solve my rough idle issues :lol:
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

It would be cool if things like this lead to a breakthrough in battery technology.
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

Europe had already put a ban on diesel a few years ago and it was approaching fast.

I did see this over the summer. https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton ... b0beba40b8

I personally think it is going to be tough to ban gas cars in this country. It is pretty ingrained in the US DNA. Plus, people drive ratty cars until the wheels fall off because they can't afford new cars or trucks. Teenagers, minimum wage workers, low income couples, etc. can't drop $20,000 or more on a new, base Versa when their rent is $1,000+/month. The Gov't would have to change the gas subsidy over to electric car subsidy in order for this to be attractive to low/middle income people or offer some incentive like the old Cash for Clunkers from the Obama era.

Then there is also the question of where are all the minerals going to come from for all of those batteries for all of those cars? Charging stations? Length of time at the charging stations charging? I shudder to think of what a Thanksgiving travel weekend would look like with all electric cars.
2003 Base Vibe
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

KingKrab65 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:18 am Length of time at the charging stations charging? I shudder to think of what a Thanksgiving travel weekend would look like with all electric cars.
Yep, this is going to be absurd. I so wish they would put their money into developing hydrogen solutions instead. As it is naturally found in our air and in outer space, converting our radiators into hydrogen collectors and converting it to power would solve the need for anyone to make pit stops other than for the bathroom and an RC Cola. All this nonsensical work being poured into autonomous cars is also wasted energy. The first couple of lawsuits will quickly kill that concept.
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

Yessiree! I say back to the good old horse and buggy. Free oats and a hay subsidy (OK, we already have that . . . farm subsidies). Hire the unemployed to scoop road apples, and open blacksmith training centers.
Progress be damned.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

2034 ought to be a good year for auto sales in California, if we live that long
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

Caretaker wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:47 am . All this nonsensical work being poured into autonomous cars is also wasted energy. The first couple of lawsuits will quickly kill that concept.
The first one happened already a few years ago. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/tech ... ality.html

There are all kinds of alternative power sources going on right now. it will be interesting to see which one wins out but I most likely will not be around to see a mass production of it. Which ever technology wins out, the other companies doing the other technologies will have to accept it, get patent rights and retool. That kind of stuff doesn't happen over night and it is expensive. And the new technology still won't stop the old gas cars from hanging around for another decade or so.
2003 Base Vibe
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Resurrecting an old thread, just to mention something cute.

Not that long ago (three weeks?), California had to ask people to not charge their electric cars because of the stress on their grid. What do they think the stress on the grid will be with everyone in California running electric vehicles?

As for horse and buggy - many towns have bans on horses or other haulage animals within the city limits, especially on the streets, due to 'littering'. They'd also come a-cropper of the minimum speed laws.

Twenty-five some years back, Grande Prairie Alberta was having an argument in the paper over the last farmer in the area that brought his produce in by horse drawn wagon, and if he should be allowed to do so. Me personally, I figure that if they can't deal with _one_ horse's apples, they have a different problem.