2019 Prius V

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
Caretaker

2019 Prius V

Post by Caretaker »

Are there any Toyota insiders on this site who can confirm whether this car will be built and offered in the US? The 2017 model was the "last year of production" according to the Toyota website. These sightings in Germany make me wonder if this is something worth waiting for.

https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/prius-v
Caretaker

Re: 2019 Prius V

Post by Caretaker »

Just took the 2019 Forester out for a test drive. Impressive car. There is something twitchy with the steering that will have to be addressed in a software update. I read something about this from a current owner's blog.
I also stopped at the Toyota dealership to ask about the 2019 Prius V. The person knew what I was talking about but claimed that the shrouded car is a new hybrid Venza. That would be OK with me too. As long as it is a wagon. The sales person could be incorrect, but whether it is a Venza or V, it will remain on my radar screen.
jamsandwich

Post by jamsandwich »

I'm just seeing this now, but oddly there is a 2018 model Prius V in Canada. I doubt I'll be in the market anytime soon, but I hope they keep it up. I like it better than the RAV4 (for a bunch of reasons, including ride height and safety — I think I would rather not know the passenger-side safety rating than buy a vehicle the IIHS rates as Poor in that category) and based on the pricing of the ICE versions of the Camry/RAV4, it is presumably cheaper than the RAV hybrid will be, to boot.

All that said, I'm hopefully a few years away from actually buying another vehicle still.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Yea, my concern is that this "Prius V" will be headed to Japan and not sold here, as not to interfere with the RAV 4 sales. Too bad for me since on paper, it looks like the perfect car for me moving forward. Honda would never allow the recent Accord wagon here since they know it would take a big chunk out of CRV sales. This mystery "2019 Prius V" did not show up at the LA Auto show like I had hoped. Moreover, I've asked some west coast regional Toyota corporate big wigs about it and they not only doubt, but flat out deny that it is in the pipeline. I'm still hopeful because it is hard for me to believe that so many auto magazines are incorrect. Sure there has been a lot of circular reporting on a new Prius V, but some of the articles are from nationally acclaimed magazine journalists. Still crossing my fingers........
jamsandwich

Post by jamsandwich »

If you ever go with the Forester, BTW, I would be interested to hear about your experience. It's a vehicle that interests me.

One of the things I find about desiring a Vibe replacement (again, with my wife in a new car, I'm probably a few years away), is that everything that suits my wishes winds up being larger. The Prius V, the Forester and the Kia Niro (suits my wishes, but some of the stuff I read online suggests it could use another model year under its belt) all seem a fair bit bigger than the Vibe. Maybe not the Impreza, but I recently sat in one again, and I don't think it's quite as comparable to the Vibe as I thought it was, in terms of interior room.

It's not a bad thing, but in the interest of economy I'd be happy if someone could just throw some brand new innards into a slightly restyled Vibe body. (Honestly, I'd be perfectly happy if it looked exactly like a first-gen Vibe).
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

While in DC placing wreaths at the graves at Arlington, I rented the Impreza. After we were done sloshing around in the mud and heavy rain all day, I got to give the car a good test drive in heavy rain on wet leaves. I found it to be a very capable car but totally annoying. The Subaru eyesight rings and dings with every passing moment, from lane departure warnings to stupid messages telling me that "the car in front of me has departed." The steering wheel would jerk the car back into the center of the lane whenever it sensed me getting too close to the side lane markers. The car is also too low for me. I'm just getting too old to shoehorn myself down into a vehicle each time I get in/out. I also did not like the CVT at slow speeds. If you gun the engine, I found the CVT to be pretty spirited. However if you try to drive carefully, the tranny jumps to what we would call 4th gear as quick as possible to maximize gas mileage. It made for some very sluggish rumbling at low speeds. While I know I could have turned off many of the eyesight functions, I don't need a car to tell me what to do. Oh, and there are so many attractive interior design edges in the Impreza that I think it would take me an entire day to properly detail the car. Give me my slant 6 engine with metal ventilation doors and crank down windows any day.