Auto Show Hunters

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
Caretaker

Re: Auto Show Hunters

Post by Caretaker » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:04 am

yah, the Autoline crew were discussing this one. I hate the teardrop headlights (also found on the new Sonata) and the rectangular grill is now in contention with Lexus' grilles over the past 10 years as the ugliest in town. Maybe designers are beginning to give up, knowing their days of selling ICEs are coming to an end real soon. Soon they won't have to worry about grille designs as there won't be any need for air intakes with all electric vehicles (EVs).
Live it up: There will be plenty of time to be old when you die.
* '09 Vibe: 1.8 liter *
* '10 Hyundai Elantra Touring *
* '07 Honda Fit Sport *
On Deck: '22 Tucson or Sportage/'22 Subaru Crosstrek/'22 Corolla Cross

ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:28 pm

That new Tucson is gonna look fantastic in a few years with all those acres of piano black plastic. ;) A well-done interior otherwise.

Lots of pics here. And is that a flat load floor I spy? Or nearly flat, hard to tell from that angle.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 137k mi.
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'13 Sonic LT - 1.4L ECOTEC turbo/6A. 125k mi.
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost, FWD. 67k mi. (hers)
ImageImage

Caretaker

2022 Tucson

Post by Caretaker » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:44 am

Excellent pictures CP. Thanks for posting. I hope my video screen doesn't come in Korean. :?: It is a flat load floor, although when I watch a bazillion hours of Motorweek and hear them say the words "flat load cargo area," I always notice a small rise due to the headrests propping up the one end by an inch or so. A pickup truck is still the standard bearer for bringing home a sheet of drywall, as even a small rise in these SUV cargo areas can result in the drywall snapping in the middle on the way home. I too think the interior is outstanding, but as always, I never need a test drive, nor care what's under the hood. My make or break moment is whether I have enough "flopping around room" while in the driver's seat. If the center console pins my leg to the gas pedal, my "test drive" is over. I still have my crib sheet from testing out the Crosstrek and Seltos, a list of must have's I want to see on the (near) base version of the new Tucson. Things such as no sunroof (period), no AWD, no 18 inch tires, LED headlights, no CVT nor DCT, turn signals in side mirrors, independent rear suspension, rear seat center armrest. It is appalling how you have to go to the highest trim levels on the current Crosstrek and Seltos to get some of these, which is why I am thrilled about this next Tucson. I'm hoping Hyundai (once again) will push Subaru to up its game with the next Crosstrek iteration, which thanks to COVID, will not be happening for quite some time to come.
* '07 Honda Fit Sport *

Caretaker

Crosstrek Shopping

Post by Caretaker » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:53 am

We went to the local Subaru dealer yesterday to sit in and see the new Sport models with the Star Tek synthetic leather seats. We also hopped in a cloth seat Crosstrek to compare the lumbar support. Another example of Subaru being "way behind the times" is that there isn't any lumbar support lever on the Crosstrek. We found the Star Tek and cloth seats to be equal in support but we like the water resistance and ease of cleaning concept of the synthetic leather. The sales person confided that he had rented an Outback and found the seats very uncomfortable during his rental period.
Joatmon and any other new Subaru owners out there: do you have any complaints with your Subaru's seat comfort?
I'm still hoping to hold out for one more model year when hopefully, Subaru will come to its senses and dump the 2.0 liter engine altogether and add things to all their models such as turn signals, lane changing detectors and an armrest for rear passengers. We also are not fans of having "dual rear seat USB ports" stuffed inside the center console tray when they could have simply cut a hole on the backside and exposed them to the rear seat passengers. We also are concerned about having Eyesight mounted on to the windshield should we need a replacement due to a crack. I'll have to call our insurance company to see if windshield replacement is included in our policy given that Eyesight seriously complicates a normally simple replacement procedure.
* '07 Honda Fit Sport *

joatmon

Post by joatmon » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:03 pm

I can't say what the current Subaru line up offers. I bought a 19 forester 18 months ago, and for peace of mind, I stopped looking at both features and prices. I didn't fit well in a crosstrek, No complaints about the 2.0 boxer. Its no racer, but has enough oompf for me.

The one I got was a "limited" trim, so it had many but not all options. I can testify that it does, in fact, have turn signals. Not sure about "lane changing detectors" but it does pay attention and beeps at me if it thinks I am too close or over a painted line on the road. Seems to sound off when I am dodging potholes a lot more than when I inadvertently drift over a line. It has a 60/40 split rear seat like the Vibe did, but the center 20 of the 60 side folds down to be a center armrest for the rear passengers. The dual USB ports for the rear are on the back exterior of the console that's between the front seats, not inside the console itself.

On mine, only the driver seat has fancy electric controls, including lumbar support. I think there was an option for a fancier front passenger seat, but I didn't get that on mine. I think the seat's pretty comfortable, but I have found things like that to be very particular to an individual, so just because I find it comfortable doesn't mean anyone else would. or would not.

Not particularly worried about cost to replace the windshield, its still my new car so I carry full coverage. Don't know how it's insurance cost compares to other comparable models

So far my biggest gripe is car related, but not about the car itself. My first vibe I ran the 36K mile warranty out in about 14 months. Had this car for 18 months, just hit 10K on the odo. Rational pandemic precautions have me not taking the long road trips I had hoped to. I tired of hanging around the homestead.

Caretaker

Shopping '21 Subaru Sport

Post by Caretaker » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:36 pm

Thanks for that joatmon. I'm in contact with Farrish which is the UBS (United Buying Service) dealership in the DC/Balt metro area. I've informed them that I'm in no hurry as my cars are running fine and my Vibe is about to get three more Denso plugs and ignition coils this week to complete the new set. At about $150 over dealer cost, plus the 2% holdback Mr. Subaru sends them after the car sells, it simply is the best way to buy a car and is worth the flight up and the drive home. Not paying any dealer/ad/prep fees and getting any dealer installed options at cost is how we bought three of our most recent cars. In fact my Vibe was bought using UBS at Farrish.
I have found my exact model/trim/color(s) at two FL dealers and one in Atlanta and Savannah. Since the dealers logically ordered all high end Limited trims with the new model year, I'm guessing that as long as chip manufacturers get their act together and production gets back to normal, more of the Sport trim models will come available by year's end.
Any other recent Subaru owners with seat stories?
* '07 Honda Fit Sport *