How can I post pictures?

Share your photos, discuss your camera, get advice or request "Photoshop" assistance.
viberdan

How can I post pictures?

Post by viberdan »

Hi All,

I'm a fairly new member and am enjoying reading as many posts as I can in a short amount of time. GenVibe is such a great site for tips, and general and specific help. I have an 09 Base and just got a upgraded stereo from Sonic Electronix. I haven't installed it yet as they sent the wrong wiring harness. I have 2 OEM radios that I am going to list soon.

My question to the community is, How do I put pictures on the site? I did take some and tried, but an error message kept saying that the pictures were too big. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, I just drove the 09 to Indianapolis and back and got 36-37mpg. Not bad. Dan
SlammedNiss

Re: How can I post pictures?

Post by SlammedNiss »

Use a site that allows hot linking, then use the image tags like below. I prefer imgur.com for hosting.

2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Yeah, unfortunately, the file size allowed is very small-- I think 5MB. Best bet is to do as slammed mentioned. I usually post them on FB (if you're a user) or send them to myself on FB Messenger, then copy and paste the URL from there... So far so good. Probably only a matter of time until they catch on though. :lol:
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

viberdan wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:26 pm I did take some and tried, but an error message kept saying that the pictures were too big. Any help would be appreciated.
I don't remember what the genvibe attachment size limit is, a quick test seems to point to maybe 512 KB. These days, cameras and phones take huge pictures. I have to resize my pictures before I can upload them here. Loading a modern full res image in the middle of a forum post can force a browser to add horizontal scroll bars, which I hate.

I have never owned a single item from Apple, so can't say how to resize a pic on one, but the hype is that its so intuitive nobody needs instructions. I have a windows 10 computer, and use a free image program called Irfanview for things like a quick crop, resize, etc and use a different more powerful image software for when I combine pictures, and add circles, arrows and a paragraph to each one.

Windows 10 has a program called Paint3D. I don't use it, but its can be used to crop and resize pictures To resize an image in Paint, load the image, then click on "Canvas in the top menu bar. In the canvas pane that pops up, change the width to something smaller. I tend to use widths of 640, 800 (throwbacks to display sizes of yesteryear) After changing the width, tab to the height entry, which should change to match the scale of the new width. Then under the top Menu, save the resized picture as a new name (so you don't overwrite the original.) Then use explorer or other to check the file size of the new file.

Sometimes its also useful to crop an image, trim it down to only show the part of a picture that matters. If you crop the pic to remove randowm background on the edges, or perhaps something you don't want to include in the publicly posted image, then the part you keep wiil be larger and show more detail after the resize than it would if you included the unrelated extra background
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I can guarantee that iPhones and iPads have no way to have a lower resolution, or shrink pictures other than when texting. You'll have to transfer the photos to something else to reduce the size.

I have a customer with that problem - every couple of months, I have to manually go through and resize all the photos in their storage system, because their cargo doesn't need 8 megabyte photos to double check the labels.
BustedVibe

Post by BustedVibe »

Could try using imgur

https://imgur.com/