Need Advice Restoring Front Bumper

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
dabro15

Need Advice Restoring Front Bumper

Post by dabro15 »

Hello, I have a 2009 Vibe GT and I need some advice on restoring the front bumper of marks/damage. The bumper is completely covered small white marks from 100k miles of use. It looks like the clear coat is damaged because there is very small cracks in some of the bigger marks. They are littered all over the entire bumper and the front of the hood. I've tried using a bit of Turtle Wax car rubbing compound on a small section, but found that it leaves it noticeably dull and only slightly improves the marks. I didn't continue to use rubbing compound on the whole bumper because I don't want to do more harm than good. If anyone has this same problem can you please help me out? Should I continue with phases of rubbing compound then wax to restore the shine? I want to avoid repainting the bumper if at all possible, however, I will understand if that's my only option.

Check out the pic to see exactly what the problem is. It just looks horrible out in the sun because it sticks out so much (to me at least lol). That's is right after a wash, and I waxed it a week ago.

Thanks in advance!

beemerphile1

Re: Need Advice Restoring Front Bumper

Post by beemerphile1 »

Don't waste your time, it looks to me like the paint is chipped.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Not just the paint... the plastic bumper itself is chipped. You will need to sand the whole thing and repaint or buy a new bumper.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

X3 on a repaint job :x Like Beemerphile1 & my son"s 2009 GT & you, the navy blue metallic really looks like S H I T when these chips of paint are missing. My son's is also bad BUT not to the extent of what you seem to have. How many miles/km's of road abuse did this Vibe see so far? Are you the original owner? Give us more info. Bottom line, either live with it for now OR repaint it :?
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
dabro15

Post by dabro15 »

Okay thanks for the responses guys. My father bought the car brand new (never abused it lol), and I bought it off of him a couple months ago. It just passed 100k miles a couple weeks ago. It sucks because the car was and still is garage kept, so the rest of the paint is still fresh looking. Most of the miles are from highway use. I guess I will have to go with repainting it. Thanks again for your input.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Ouch :(! Seeing that makes me glad my 2009 GT is not one of the dark colors :|.

As everyone else said, having it re-painted is pretty much your only option. Hopefully the re-paint will hold up better. Best of luck getting it taken care of. Keep us updated on what you do with it, etc.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

What about that plastic film paint protectant stuff, to go on top of the new paint? It's that stuff that's similar to a bra...argh, can't really remember much about it.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

lannvouivre wrote:What about that plastic film paint protectant stuff, to go on top of the new paint? It's that stuff that's similar to a bra...argh, can't really remember much about it.
Lamin-X makes a clear film protectant, great to keep paint in shape but the damage has been done. If the bumper was repainted or a new bumper was bought the Lamin-x will protect it very well. http://www.lamin-x.com/Pontiac-Vibe-s/633.htm
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

my 45,000 mile '10 looks very similar. cheap, cheap paint...
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
trb

Post by trb »

Painting would be your best option. I had a couple of quotes for mine, since it actually has a few screw holes in it (PO installed fog/driving lights) and the bottom edge on the front and sides is all scraped away from running up on curbs from him parking. The quotes were about $300, which I thought was extremely good for the work involved in removing the cover, filling, sanding, priming, painting and clear coating it, and reinstalling it.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

Another option is to replace the bumper cover every year or two like me.

In 2010, some moron cut his turn too tight and hit my front end while I waited for a traffic light!

Two days before Christmas last year (2012) one of Santa's reindeer jumped in front of me and broke the plastic front end!

Thank goodness for insurance. :D
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

I had to have a new bumper put on mine after a small accident. The paint the shop used was much better as it has very few chips in it now and is cracking slightly in one of the corners. I have almost 107,000 miles and my hood by far looks worse than my bumper.