Best Way to Protect/Restore Different Parts?

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
chrispbacon

Best Way to Protect/Restore Different Parts?

Post by chrispbacon »

I want to protect/restore different parts of rubber, plastic, or metal on the exterior of my Vibe and I'm not sure what to use? So for example:
  • Bottom Window Seal - I believe this is rubber but I'm not sure what to put on it? Also, for some reason, there's like white stuff on it that won't come out? I believe this might be paint but I'm not sure.

Roof Rails Base - I'm not sure but I think this is metal or plastic?

Windshield Perimeter - I think this is rubber too?

Sun Roof Gasket/Trim - I also think this is rubber? Not sure?

Inner Door Weather Seal - Also think this is rubber?
I read somewhere else that people use dielectric grease to protect some parts. Just not sure what to use where or what they are made of. Any insight would be very helpful. I've attached pics for clarity.
Attachments
20190324_164847.jpg
20190324_164847.jpg (98.17 KiB) Viewed 6084 times
20190324_164830.jpg
20190324_164830.jpg (43.05 KiB) Viewed 6084 times
20190324_164823.jpg
20190324_164823.jpg (45.54 KiB) Viewed 6084 times
20190324_164803.jpg
20190324_164803.jpg (50.42 KiB) Viewed 6084 times
Caretaker

Re: Best Way to Protect/Restore Different Parts?

Post by Caretaker »

once our nearest star dries out the rubber and it begins to get a crusty hardness, I don't think much can be done. I use Mcguiar's Back to Black with some success; but the sun always wins.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

There is a youtube channel on detailing that may be of interest to you:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SweetProjectCars
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
jolt

Post by jolt »

It is the UV that does rubber in. You what to find something that has a lot of UV blocker in it. I have used Meguiar's M5716SP Marine/RV Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner & Protectant in the past; https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Marine- ... B0000AY4YJ . 303 products are also good for this purpose ; https://www.amazon.com/303-vinyl-protec ... 20Products . Do not use interior UV protection products for the outside rubber parts. Most of the interior stuff is water based, while the exterior UV protection stuff is oil based. On the outside, the water based protection will wash off.

I pour the liquid into a small dish or cup, after shaking the spray bottle, and apply the liquid to the rubber with a small foam painting brush. That way I have a lot better control of where the liquid is going. Spraying this stuff on just makes a mess all over the place. By bushing the stuff on, I can get nice even coverage of the rubber. I leave it on over night and then wipe or buff the next day as most of it will be gone and the rubber parts will get maxim amount of the product soaked in. The foam paint bushes are cheap at the hardware store and work very well for this application.
chrispbacon

Post by chrispbacon »

Thank youh for all your suggestions. i read up on 303 folling your advise and everywhere i looked it had phenkmenal reviews so I just order a bottle. Apparantly it treats and restores plastic amd rubber. This is perfect.And thank you for the project sweet cars channel link. did not know about it but awesome chamnel. they had one video explaining how 303 extends tire life. mucb appreciated.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

303 is fantastic stuff. There's also a version with a sponge applicator that makes quick work of applying it to weatherstripping. Link
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

geez, my cars have gotten so old that my car washes now consist of waiting for a storm and then going out (before the florida sun evaporates the water) with a bath towel and wiping them down, followed by a soft microfiber cloth to shine up the windows. For decades prior, I used to do something similar after a heavy wet snow during cold winters. I'd get rid of all the salt and slush by rubbing the wet snow off with a cloth and a bucket of warm water to keep my fingers from frostbite.
lemieuxhelm

Post by lemieuxhelm »

Do not use interior UV protection products for the outside rubber parts. Most of the interior stuff is water based, while the exterior UV protection stuff is oil based. click here
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I just used Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish for my headlights. I have used the 3M and Meguires headlight resto kits and I got equal results without any sanding with the mothers polish. Do y a Youtube search on it. Done in minutes ! Just follow up with a clear coat or some sort of UV protection. You wont be disappointed.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
lexicon

Post by lexicon »

Honda's best silicone is used by many successfully on all rubber seals on the car. Been using this for my cars.
Read the reviews in amazon

search by name Genuine Honda 08798-9013 Silicone Grease
2005 VibeAutomaticStockNon AWD125 hp model