"hood seal" ? Is that what I'm looking for?

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
BustedVibe

"hood seal" ? Is that what I'm looking for?

Post by BustedVibe »

Note: this is not about the rear seal for the windshield. This is for the front of the car.

A few years ago after I had to take salvage on my car following a deer collision, one thing that always peeved me off was when the body guy I went to did the hood replacement, he did not salvage the rubber seal for my hood.

I'm not crazy, right? There is supposed to be some rubber weatherstripping type seal across the front of the hood? I've been very paranoid ever since, thinking I am letting more water / road salt etc through the front than the car should be getting. Even feel nervous in car washes for some reason. But I've never been able to find an actual part number or reference to this item.

I've got the two rubber feet and my interior hood liner. That's it.

1) is there supposed to be a rubber seal?
2) if so can someone help me find one
3) any chance this could have caused potential issues with my aftermarket alternator? ( this thread) I was thinking if environmental exposure was an issue, especially due to heavy road salting.

edit: is it this?? That picture looks weird, I mean it looks more like a metal or plastic molded piece than flexible rubber lol

https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-s ... 9aefc71e5e

Re: "hood seal" ? Is that what I'm looking for?

Post by zbyers »

1) Yes, there is a rubber weatherstrip there.
2)www.car-part.com.... You could probably also buy some generic weatherstriping and use the holes and push pins to install it.
3) It's possible if you drove in a torrential downpour, and the liquids were hitting the alternator. Doesn't seem too likely, unless you drive in constant rain, but is possible.
4) There is a master parts listing with reaaallllyyy bad formatting. I don't see the weatherstrip listed. viewtopic.php?t=7865
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
BustedVibe

Post by BustedVibe »

Constant rain, not so much. I mean certainly I've driven the car around in the rain for many hours though. Gone through car washes, etc. I don't think I've ever drowned it tho.

I might look into what you mention and try some generic weather stripping.

Although if anyone could find / give me a good picture of their hood to show what it looks like installed, that might help me a tad.

Post by jolt »

Look at item number 4: https://www.cheapestgmparts.com/v-2005- ... components

Front Seal ; # 88970745 Discontinued

It is also referred to as Radiator Support Seal. It is most likely the same as what was used on a Toyota Matrix.

Here is listing for Toyota Matrix 2004: https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/parts-l ... ?PNC=53381

Towards bottom of this page, look for "Seal, Hood To Radiator Support". There are two options.

This is most likely the seal but that is up to you as I am only guessing as to what model you have so don't blame me if it is wrong: https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toy ... der,,53381
BustedVibe

Post by BustedVibe »

thanks for your efforts. I have an '04 Base FWD/Automatic. unless you meant something else. Pretty certain its 1ZZFE ? I forgot what I did to find that info before, but that's the only other code that sticks out for me

Post by zbyers »

BustedVibe wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:53 pm thanks for your efforts. I have an '04 Base FWD/Automatic. unless you meant something else. Pretty certain its 1ZZFE ? I forgot what I did to find that info before, but that's the only other code that sticks out for me
All 03-08 Vibes will run the same seal/gasket for the hood. So long as your vehicle is in that range, what jolt referenced should suffice.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe