STUCK WHEELS & BROKEN STUDS

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
pperrone

STUCK WHEELS & BROKEN STUDS

Post by pperrone »

I have not been on here for quite sometime, but I need some help/suggestions!

On our '05 base vibe, the wheels are STUCK to the hubs! Had three new tires put on, not 4 because I am missing a stud on the front left. So after getting the car back I decided I would just move a new tire to that position myself and the old tire to a position with all 5 studs and get it replaced the next day. ;)

However the car had another plan! Tried to remove the left rear (with new tire) but the wheel is stuck, tried to loosen it with a rubber mallet, did not budge! Remember they JUST put it on an hour ago. Fine, move to the front of the car, just swap left for right... Tried removing the left front first (old tire and broken stud), again did not come off with a rubber mallet. "I give up!" Putting the wheel nuts back on, ANOTHER STUD SNAPS OFF!!!!! :x My Dad suggested that they were torqued too much and that I should take it back to them to use the correct torque speck.

So, now what do I do?!?!?!
Pete'05 Stock Salsa
zbyers

Re: STUCK WHEELS & BROKEN STUDS

Post by zbyers »

If you donkey kick the wheel, it should come off. Another option is to loosen the lug nuts, lower the car slightly so the tire is on the ground, but the car is still supported by the jack, then rock the car and it should separate.

Or go back to that shop and make them do it.

Here is how to replace the wheel studs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=472sHzB8if8
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Pep Boys wouldn't let me out of their shop to drive home with a broken stud. They discovered it when they went to put some Akebonos on my HET. The owner called the shop that did the most recent (within the last 2 days) tire rotation and explained the situation and that they needed to compensate me. Pep Boys put on the new stud and I went back to the shop that broke it and they handed me cash and an apology. Of course they used an impact gun and over torqued them, but more likely, they stripped the threads as those guns just power through the motion which is why all lug nuts should be put on by hand, not by an a power tool.
pperrone

Post by pperrone »

Caretaker wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:59 am Pep Boys wouldn't let me out of their shop to drive home with a broken stud. They discovered it when they went to put some Akebonos on my HET. The owner called the shop that did the most recent (within the last 2 days) tire rotation and explained the situation and that they needed to compensate me. Pep Boys put on the new stud and I went back to the shop that broke it and they handed me cash and an apology. Of course they used an impact gun and over torqued them, but more likely, they stripped the threads as those guns just power through the motion which is why all lug nuts should be put on by hand, not by an a power tool.
I think that I have one on another wheel that has cross threads as well. I was considering just replacing ALL the studs on all wheels.
Pete'05 Stock Salsa
jolt

Post by jolt »

Be sure to clean all rust from hubs and backs of rims also. You may want to put a little paint on them after cleaning the rust off.