Hardwired Dash Cam...which fuse?

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
sunshy

Hardwired Dash Cam...which fuse?

Post by sunshy »

I've hard-wired a dash cam to my 08 vibe, but I am not getting any power to it. The idea was to wire it to a fuse that is perpetually powered as I wanted to record video while the car was off and parked. The directions say: "maximum rating is to be no more than 20 amps."

Not sure if it could be the cable or what. But can anyone suggest which fuse to piggy-back off of that is a "permanent live" fuse would power the cam? Here is the diagram:

SlammedNiss

Re: Hardwired Dash Cam...which fuse?

Post by SlammedNiss »

sunshy wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:56 am I've hard-wired a dash cam to my 08 vibe, but I am not getting any power to it. The idea was to wire it to a fuse that is perpetually powered as I wanted to record video while the car was off and parked. The directions say: "maximum rating is to be no more than 20 amps."

Not sure if it could be the cable or what. But can anyone suggest which fuse to piggy-back off of that is a "permanent live" fuse would power the cam? Here is the diagram:

Anything that works with the key off would work. So, tailight, brakelight, domelight, etc. I wired mine t-tapped to the radio harness, but you'd have to pull the radio to do that.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
sunshy

Post by sunshy »

Thank you for the response. I noticed the black wire (ground?) came loose from the screw I attached it to, so I wonder if that was the problem.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I'd use the P/POINT fuse.

on 03-04's, this fuse powers a 12V power outlet in the bottom of the console between the front seats. The wiring is there in an 08, the outlet is not. This wire gets power from the PPOINT fuse, which has power all the time, however, it is run through a relay above the glove box that only closes when the key is in acc or on. Doesn't matter, because that fuse has power all the time, which is what you want. BOnus is that since the 08 doesn't have that power outlet in the console, the fuse normally powers absolutely nothing on an 08, so if your dash cam trips the fuse, you don't lose anything else that you might miss, such as lights or radio
sunshy

Post by sunshy »

Ooh, good idea. Thanks for the suggestion. Would be nice to have it on it's own fuse. Good info to know.