Misc: Window seal/run & bent oil baffle

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
gotreats

Misc: Window seal/run & bent oil baffle

Post by gotreats »

Hi,

Like https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=bDuHwyKiOgo, the window runs/chase on my car are terrible, especially the driver's side. I was able to find the part from a 2004 Corolla (I think 2003 and earlier do not fit my 2005 vibe) at a junkyard for $5. It was the fifth car I looked at it. The four before has bent rubber like what I was trying to replace. It was a simple fix and with soap and water I did not have to remove the window.

Point being--maybe spend $2 or $3 to enter a junkyard and check for matrix/vibe/corollas before spending $60ish(!) on a new part. Total cost for me was $9, $2 for entrance to two junkyards and $5 for the part at the second one.

Also, I noticed like others that at some point during this car's life a mechanic unintentionally bent the oil baffle beneath the cap. I gently cleaned it and pulled it back up using an allen wrench. I think this caused a similar ticking noise as this post references (viewtopic.php?t=45178) but have not driven it quite enough to know for sure.
tpollauf

Re: Misc: Window seal/run & bent oil baffle

Post by tpollauf »

Nice find and suggestion ;) . I too have the same problem with my 2004 Vibe GT but it's very low priority on the list for now. I get wind noise at highway speeds at the drivers door. Just living with it for now. I'll keep in mind what you did if/when I'm out at the junkyards. $85 ish new is a bit on the high side so you did well on your repair!

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
gotreats

Post by gotreats »

Yup -- Mine looked very familiar as well as, in the other top corner, a furled gap that was super annoying; I couldn't listen to the radio on highway speeds.

Anyways, it's a simple fix and requires just pulling off the door cover (two screws).
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Mine also looked like this. Before I sold my old GT w/280k miles, I swapped them out. Problem solved :lol:
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe