irunan - 2009 Vibe GT

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
irunan

irunan - 2009 Vibe GT

Post by irunan »

Purchased my first Vibe back around the end of April/beginning of May. It's a red 2009 Vibe GT with manual transmission. It was originally special ordered/purchased by a younger, male GM employee in Indiana then sold to an older couple before finding it's way into my hands. I drove from Lowell, IN to Indianapolis, IN just to get this baby! I was previously driving a 1996 Pontiac Firebird, but needed something with more hauling space for a large dog. Ended up with the Vibe because it was roomy, but still kinda fun and sporty.

So far, it has been a great little car--already put about 10k miles on it. It's been a pleasant surprise! This was my first manual trans and it definitely took some time getting used to. Having a little bit of a difficult time adjusting to the small engine as this is my first 4 cyl. and I'm used to cars with a little more power/turbo charged. Hoping there is some way to modify and give it a little more pep?

Definitely interested in modifying a little bit, but not really sure where to begin. I want to get the front bumper and hood repainted before I do anything! I do a lot of road trips and large bugs have really done a number to it...
Attachments
2009 Vibe GT
2009 Vibe GT
2014-04-29 18.53.35.jpg (225.36 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
trb

Re: irunan - 2009 Vibe GT

Post by trb »

Welcome, and nice looking Vibe GT! Lucky you with a manual transmission too. I had a red 2010 GT for 2-1/2 years, but with an automatic so my kids could drive it, and I really enjoyed it, except for the transmission! Too bad I couldn't find a manual red 09-10 GT close to me when I had to replace it in July, so I ended up with an 03 GT instead.

I had the K&N CAI and it gave it a nice growl on acceleration. Carrie on here has a Magnaflow exhaust with her K&N, and it looks really nice. There are a few nice looking 09-10 GTs on here that are lowered too. I really liked the pinstripes on mine since they kind of "smoothed" out the awkward body contour on the front doors.

Good luck with your new Vibe!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe irunan :D You are one extremely lucky Vibe owner. Lucky for a couple reasons. First I need to ask you a personal question. Is this your Vibe VIN ..... 5Y2SN67079Z443908 and would have originally been sold by Ed Martin Buick Pontiac GMC, just outside of Indianapolis? If the answer is yes, then you need to thank me for not buying it 5-1/2 years ago :lol:

Back in the spring of 2009 when I was seriously looking at purchasing the Vibe, I had THREE criteria that had to be met. ONE, it had to be Sport Red Metallic, TWO it had to be the GT trim, and the THIRD (most important BTW) it had to have the 5-spd manual tranny. With my search on I found THREE Vibes which met that criteria. One up in Michigan @ Sellers, one in Indianapolis, and one at the Medina auto mall (Cleveland area). I ended up getting the one from the Medina auto mall, and the rest is History. Enjoy your Vibe. It's one hot looking car and so much fun to drive.

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Great to see another 2nd gen GT owner join :D!
trb wrote:Carrie on here has a Magnaflow exhaust with her K&N, and it looks really nice.
I'm Carrie, and yes, I have the K&N Typhoon short ram air intake (#69-8613TS) with an AEM Brute Force Dryflow air filter (#21-203BF), AEM air filter wrap (#1-4000) and Magnaflow catback exhaust system (#16849) on my 2009 Vibe GT 5-speed automatic. These mods have definitely given the 2.4L a little more oomph, especially on acceleration. The intake adds a nice growl and the catback has a great, deep but mellow sound. It's barely louder than stock until you step on the gas. I'd definitely recommend starting with the intake. It fits great and is super easy to install. I had a local exhaust guy install the catback for me and he only charged me $60.00. He said the fit and quality of it was superb and I am very happy with the sound of it.

Here's a link for the Magnaflow catback exhaust system. This company has the best price and offers free shipping. Be sure to use the link on their homepage to message them about discount codes. I did this and they ended up sending me a code that saved me about $150.00!

eBay is your best bet for ordering the K&N Typhoon short ram air intake.

Check out my Garage thread to see pictures of the intake and exhaust installed.

Definitely be sure and keep us posted if and when you do any mods to your Vibe.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
irunan

Post by irunan »

Sorry for the lapse in activity, it has been a very hectic week. Every time I had half my post typed up, I'd get interrupted! Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I wish every car had a community like this one!

My Vibe has a different VIN than the one you provided and ends in 416305. This one was originally shipped from GM to Stoops Pontiac in Muncie, IN. I knew this one was mine as soon as I drove up to it--I couldn't believe how beautiful it was in person--wouldn't want any color but the red! Paid $10,400 with approx. 68,000 miles on it. I had been wanting a manual car, but I really didn't think I'd end up finding one!

The pinstripe does look nice! I actually like the contouring on the front doors...it's the one towards the back that I am not fond of! I am definitely interested in doing the intake and stuff...will any of that affect the gas mileage?

Unfortunately, I won't be changing much in the near future as I am in between jobs currently. I would like to get the windows tinted first, as I travel with my dog often and I would prefer if people couldn't easily see him inside, plus to help keep the sun out a bit! Lowering is the one thing that is absolutely out of the question simply because I do travel a lot and I do find myself on grass/dirt/gravel roads often...plus, the Pontiac Firebird I had was so low that the front end would scrape the ground on hills...and wasn't good to park in grass!

The one thing I can't get over is...this car gets attention from people--especially hatchback enthusiasts. I thought that would die when I got rid of my Firebird! Hoping it won't be such a cop magnet though.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

irunan wrote:Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I wish every car had a community like this one!

I am definitely interested in doing the intake and stuff...will any of that affect the gas mileage?

Unfortunately, I won't be changing much in the near future as I am in between jobs currently. I would like to get the windows tinted first, as I travel with my dog often and I would prefer if people couldn't easily see him inside, plus to help keep the sun out a bit! Lowering is the one thing that is absolutely out of the question simply because I do travel a lot and I do find myself on grass/dirt/gravel roads often...plus, the Pontiac Firebird I had was so low that the front end would scrape the ground on hills...and wasn't good to park in grass!

The one thing I can't get over is...this car gets attention from people--especially hatchback enthusiasts. I thought that would die when I got rid of my Firebird! Hoping it won't be such a cop magnet though.
GenVibe is definitely the best vehicle enthusiast website on the internet as far as I'm (and I'm sure many others are) concerned! We have a great group of members here. Everyone is really helpful, friendly and positive. I have yet to see any negativity of any sort in the 5 1/2 years I've been a member here. Drastically different from other vehicle enthusiast websites I've been a member of.

Both mine and my mom's Vibes have the K&N intake installed and we have seen a consistent 1-2 MPG increase in our gas mileage. Since I had the Magnaflow catback installed on my Vibe back in July, I have easily seen another 1-2 MPG increase. I have been averaging around 28-29 MPG with 50% city / 50% highway. As long as you take it easy on the gas pedal (which is admittedly hard to do when you first install the intake and / or exhaust :|), you should have no problem increasing your gas mileage with either (or both) installed.

Tinted windows are a must IMO! Not only does it make the Vibe look great (even more so) from the exterior, it also helps keep the interior (and your pooch) cooler and protected from the sun. We have 35% all around on both our Vibes and IMO it's the perfect %. It's dark enough to look good and serve its purposes, but not too dark that it hinders you vision or attracts unwanted attention from authorities.

I drove 2 different lowered Pontiac Sunfires (a Coupe and than a Sedan) before I got my Vibe and what a difference with the Vibe. It rides stiff and sporty like I always wanted my Sunfires too, but you still have a decent amount of ground clearance. Lowered 2nd gen GTs looks absolutely killer, but I wouldn't want to the sacrifice ground clearance, especially since we drive our Vibes in winter.

As long as you don't drive like a crazy person, I wouldn't worry about cops. I had the windows tinted on my Vibe before it was legal to have the front windows tinted in IL and the cops never even looked twice at me. Neither of our Vibes has had a front license plate (which is required in IL) since 2010 and again, cops don't even look twice. I used to get pulled over in my Sunfire Coupe because I had an aftermarket Magnaflow exhaust on it and it was really loud (header back dual outlet exhaust). No worries with the Magnaflow catback on the Vibe. It's barely louder than stock.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
NascarXprt

Post by NascarXprt »

Welcome Fellow Red GT owner! yes it is indeed a blast to drive. i too am a bit jealous you were able to find one with a manual.

My 09 beauty...
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM