Rear seatback lock broken

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
Mark

Rear seatback lock broken

Post by Mark »

The driver side rear seat on my 04 won't latch in the upright position, and it feels like the release rod may be broken or disconnected. Has anyone here done any work on the back seats? How hard is it to get to the latch mechanism?

Or am I better off trying to find a seat back in a junk yard? Is the Matrix rear seat the exact same as the Vibe?
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
zbyers

Re: Rear seatback lock broken

Post by zbyers »

Matrix rear seat is the same.

As far as I know, that back panel should come off pretty easily. I've had a few cars where it was pretty loose, likely from someone catching the edges when sliding stuff on the seatback.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks zbyers, I'll check it out once it warms up a bit here. It was below 0 yesterday and not much better today, and nothing good can happen when you start trying to pry on plastic parts when it's this cold.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

a couple of threads about rear seat backs are
https://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=32894
https://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=10001

but neither are all that helpful for your problem

I attached parts of the matrix manual about rear seat back, hopefully they'll give some insight
Attachments
w040001.pdf
rear seat back overhaul
(24.99 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
conponen.pdf
rear seat back components
(53.46 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks joatmon, I did see the first thread but missed the second. Once it warms up some I'll take another look. I've found a few parts diagrams that show the pieces but not in the detail you provided. The last couple times I've checked the local u-pull-it yard didn't have any Vibes, but maybe I'll get lucky and find a Matrix.
Mark

Post by Mark »

The fix turned out to be easier than I expected. Pop off the two hinge covers, remove two small screws, the two T-25 screws in the center of the seat back, and the two 12mm hex head hinge bolts. Once the two bolts are out the seat back drops a bit and you can slide the plastic cover forward a half inch or so and remove it. Then there are some small metal rings that hold the seat fabric to the frame that you need to remove. I replaced them with zip ties. Once all that's done you have access to the latch. I was able to move the latch with a screwdriver and the release worked but was sticky, so I sprayed the latch with WD40 until it moved freely and put it all back together. And now my seat back latches in the upright position again.

Thanks all for the tips and links, you got me pointed in the right direction.