Help with Seat Belt (seatbelt) receiver...keeps disconnecting!! YIKES!!

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
mg93108

Help with Seat Belt (seatbelt) receiver...keeps disconnecting!! YIKES!!

Post by mg93108 »

Hi fellow Viber's
I'm still pretty new here and I have to say that this is a very nice forum group :-)
My wife's Vibe has a very serious issue with the seatbelt "receiver".
When you put the seatbelt in the receiver slot it "sometimes" stays connected, and sometimes it immediately disconnects, and sometimes it stays connected for a while before deciding that it is going to disconnect.
Needless to say, this is very unsafe.
Is this a known issue?
How should I fix this?
Thanks so much for your help!!!
andrewclaus

Re: Help with Seat Belt (seatbelt) receiver...keeps disconnecting!! YIKES!!

Post by andrewclaus »

First I'd determine if the problem is with the tab or the slot. You should be able to reach the passenger side and see how it works. My money would be on the driver side slot being dirty or worn. It might be filled with spilled cola and chip crumbs. If so, remove, clean, dry and lubricate. I'd be tempted to put in the ultrasonic cleaner at the shop, but be ready to buy a new one if switch contacts get ruined. It looks like it would be $40-50 well spent, to get rid of the "yike" factor.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I second andrew. Probably a dirty received. Lots of patience and some lube to clean it, and it should work like new again.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Very likely a housekeeping problem like the others suggest! I too would occasionally have a problem with the belt latching BUT mainly due to too much covering on the seats. You see, I'm a refrigeration mechanic (similar to auto mechanic OR any other type of mechanic where we get real dirty) and it is common for me to sit on towels/blankets or any other fabric to avoid trashing the original seat covers. Sometimes the fabric gets sucked into the latch when fastening the belt. I've had it where it didn't latch and had it where I couldn't get it to release. Solution is to keep EVERYTHING away from these belt latches!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"