Seat cushion - side air bag?

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
Bookworm

Seat cushion - side air bag?

Post by Bookworm »

I have a 2007 Vibe, and I'm needing to replace the seat cushion. It's been compressed so many times due to people getting in and out of the front seat that the seat slopes from a high on the right to a low at the door. So it hurts my back after a while.

Is there actually an air bag in the seat? (Ejector module for those who have Moon and Tunes?)

https://www.gmpartscenter.net/auto-part ... nents-scat

(I have to wonder what uneducated person put 'scat' as the last word in the link for the components page)

Also considering replacing the seat cover, but $280 or so just for the cloth seems a bit steep, especially since it doesn't include the replacement crimp rings. Any ideas of less expensive third party sources? I'm not really picky about the colour, as it's my work vehicle.
vibrologist

Re: Seat cushion - side air bag?

Post by vibrologist »

Have you considered getting a used seat from the junk yard? I bet you will find a serviceable one rather inexpensively. You would have time to take it apart and wash the covers and wash out the foam pads while you still use the old seat. There is a thread somewhere here how to take the seat apart.
Those crimp rings, a.k.a. hog rings, are not expensive at all. I think I saw them in a farm supply store or hardware store.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

vibrologist wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:19 am Have you considered getting a used seat from the junk yard? I bet you will find a serviceable one rather inexpensively. You would have time to take it apart and wash the covers and wash out the foam pads while you still use the old seat. There is a thread somewhere here how to take the seat apart.
Those crimp rings, a.k.a. hog rings, are not expensive at all. I think I saw them in a farm supply store or hardware store.
x2 for this recommendation. If your seat has a tag for the SRS Airbag on it, then you would indeed have the seat airbag. They were not very common on the earlier vibes, but were available.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I've thought about picking up a seat from a yard, yes - mostly for the covers. The cushion will be destroyed, just like this one. I think they just weren't made for someone to sit on them, then turn and get up (flattening it against the bracket for the seat jack), for more than 50k miles.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of another source besides a yard and GM Parts.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

An automotive or boat interior shop should be able to replace the foam with new foam. Also shampooing the seats do wonders to make them look fresh.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT