Matrix XRS Steering Wheel Swap!

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
Vibester04

Matrix XRS Steering Wheel Swap!

Post by Vibester04 »

Recently, I had the chance at a complete steering wheel/airbag from a crashed XRS Matrix for $100. This is going to be a written guide at removing/installing the new wheel.

First and foremost, whenever airbags are in the mix, power MUST be disconnected for your safety. Disconnect the positive battery terminal and turn headlights on (to bleed residual voltage) for minimum of 1 minute.

Things you'll need:
- New Wheel
- Original (or GM Replacement) airbag
- Original (or replacement) Vibe Specific cruise switch
- 10mm wrench or socket/ratchet
- Torx T30 bit with 1/4" drive ratchet
- 3/4" Socket on 4" extension & 1/2" Drive ratchet
- Small flat blade screwdriver

Find a Torx T30 bit and ratchet to remove the two bolts, located behind and down from the 2 side spokes. Once they've been loosened they will NOT come all the way out. Play with them until they snap into the plastic case surrounding the wheel. This will allow the airbag to (easily) slide out. DO NOT FORCE IT!!!

This is the step at which I noticed the first difference. A Matrix airbag will NOT work, the detonators are different (4 wires & white plug on Vibe, 2 Wires & black on Matrix). Original airbag must be used, but works. There will be two plugs with yellow caps on the detonator. Carefully use a small flat blade screwdriver to pop them outward (away from) the plugs. They will then pull out and allow for removal. This method is easier than trying to unplug from the clockspring. Grab a paint pen OR sharpie to mark the top of the steering shaft.

Now, the steering wheel can be unbolted. a 3/4" socket on a 3-4" extension will work fine. Snap the nut loose, but don't remove it yet (will require a fair bit of oomph). Now, anchor your feet behind the pedals (on solid floorboard) and pull towards you. You should not require a puller to remove the wheel. Once loose, remove the nut and slide the wheel off.

Another notable difference is the cruise switch. The Toyota one again has a different plug, thus will not work and must be swapped with the one from your original wheel. Two phillips screws secure it. Once it's installed in the new wheel, you can begin re-install.

The center of the new wheel is easy enough to distinguish with no airbag, do your best to align it with your mark. It will be quite obvious if it is off-center (at least 5* between notches). Once it's on and lightly snugged onto the shaft, replace the nut. I will find a torque spec, but these cars aren't transport trucks or anything particularily "Shaky," So just VERY tight will do. Stop tightening when effort to continue becomes significant. You should be able to turn the entire steering system with your ratchet on the nut. (DISCLAIMER: I am NOT responsible for finding a torque spec, though I will try., any injury or damage as a result of this thread is NOT my responsibility!!!)

With the steering nut torqued, plug the cruise switch into the clockspring, and the original airbag into their color coded wires, and push the yellow caps back in. Replace the airbag. The bottom has a lip that holds it into the wheel, align the bottom first, then slide it in the rest of the way. Tighten the two Torx screws sufficiently (until they stop turning, there is no 'spec')

That is it! The entire job took me less than 30 minutes, and improved the feel of my Vibe to that of the GT. I didn't snap pictures, but this guide should help!
zbyers

Re: Matrix XRS Steering Wheel Swap!

Post by zbyers »

Excellent info. If you want to disassemble and reassemble while taking some pictures, we'd love that ;)
Vibrologist
might even be able to add this to his great "How-To" thread.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe