Grab Handle above Driver?

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
tnpartsguy

Grab Handle above Driver?

Post by tnpartsguy »

Looking at the Pontiac website, and the Toyota website, both the '05 Vibe and 'trix show a Oh-**** handle above the Driver's seat. I wonder if anyone has added it to theirs? I have the parts to do it now, but I want to make 100% sure the nuts are above the headliner.....
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
ragingfish

Re: Grab Handle above Driver? (tnpartsguy)

Post by ragingfish »

There's no recess in the 03/04 headliner, however, so you would likely have to replace the headliner with an 05 version to make it look right...I do believe the holes were there though...likely for the Voltz...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
tnpartsguy

Re: Grab Handle above Driver? (ragingfish)

Post by tnpartsguy »

No, I have the recess....checked that before I ordered the handle and bolts.....just want to make sure the bolt holes are there...
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Really?I don't think mine does...Anyway, IIRC there are holes there, but i can't say if they're threaded or not...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

Mike. Moonroof. Remember? The non M&T versions do have a recess there for the grab handle, but I haven't peeked above the headliner to see if there's anything to mount it to.
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
ragingfish

Re: (Jahntassa)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by Jahntassa »Mike. Moonroof. Remember? The non M&T versions do have a recess there for the grab handle, but I haven't peeked above the headliner to see if there's anything to mount it to.Go me. Keep forgetting about that moonroof headliner.

2009 PONTIAC G8
joatmon

Re: (ragingfish)

Post by joatmon »

My 2003 M&T headliner appears to have a recess to accomodate a grab handle on the drivers sde, just like the one on the passenger side, but I've never had my headliner out so I have no idea what's behind it.
tnpartsguy

Post by tnpartsguy »

Here i go Guinie Pigging again!!
joatmon

Re: (tnpartsguy)

Post by joatmon »

take and post lots of pics
Baltovibe

Re: (joatmon)

Post by Baltovibe »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »take and post lots of picsThere are 2 forums that have pics of the headliner and roof. These pics are from a moonroof vibe, but show the grab handle holes there, and seem to be threaded. See for yourself:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id ... d?id=12907
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
Carbman

Post by Carbman »

yup the 03-04 has the recess for th oh s@#% handle.
BlueCrush

Re: (tnpartsguy)

Post by BlueCrush »

I like to call it Pioneering!
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
NascarXprt

Re: Grab Handle above Driver? (ragingfish)

Post by NascarXprt »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »There's no recess in the 03/04 headliner, however, so you would likely have to replace the headliner with an 05 version to make it look right...I do believe the holes were there though...likely for the Voltz...there is a recess in the 03/04 vibes i have it in mine.
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
tnpartsguy

Post by tnpartsguy »

Yeah, mine's on now. I have a 4 megapixel camera that JUST came in, so pics will be up ASAP.
Stang2Vibe

Re: (Jahntassa)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Quote, originally posted by Jahntassa »Mike. Moonroof. Remember? The non M&T versions do have a recess there for the grab handle, but I haven't peeked above the headliner to see if there's anything to mount it to.I can back Joat up on this one. My '03 GT with the M&T package does have the recess on the driver's side, but no handle. I never was behind the headliner yet so I don't know what's back there either. I would think that the threaded holes are probably there from the factory, though, as it would just be easier for NUMMI to make all the cars the same way. I wondered why that recess was there but no handle just the other day, then I remembered the right-hand drive Voltz. For such a relatively small production detail, I figured that all Vibes and Voltz's would have been made the same regarding that recess and the theaded holes.I don't think I'll bother to install the driver's handle in mine. If I'm ever in an oh-**** situation, I'm going to have one hand on the wheel and the other on the shifter so I don't think I'd ever use it. I never use the other handles in there as it is. I don't really even know why manufacturers bother to still put these in cars, it seems like such a waste to me. I think that they're just a leftover feature of cars from days long gone. Sort of like transmission humps on the floor that exist in front wheel drive cars.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
cieglo

Post by cieglo »

Quote, originally posted by tnpartsguy »both the '05 Vibe and 'trix show a Oh-**** handle above the Driver's seat. I wonder if anyone has added it to theirs? You shouldn't be grabbing that handle anyway...don't you remember your 2 & 10 training from drivers' ed? Either that or it's 1 fist for the wheel and 1 for the stick... Oh, just saw that Stand already said something like this...
Vibe GT '03, Lava Red 2-tone, 16" wheels, Moon'n'Tunes, Injen CAI, ACT clutch, vented rotors, Tein coil- overs, Grafxwerks decals, lead foot on the gas and white-knuckled fist on the stick & Hankook RS-3 for AutoX http://noraracing.net/
cieglo

Re: (Stang2Vibe)

Post by cieglo »

Quote, originally posted by Stang2Vibe » I think that they're just a leftover feature of cars from days long gone. Sort of like transmission humps on the floor that exist in front wheel drive cars.The hump is to keep the empty soda cans from the passenger seat floor from rolling over under the gas and brake pedals.
Vibe GT '03, Lava Red 2-tone, 16" wheels, Moon'n'Tunes, Injen CAI, ACT clutch, vented rotors, Tein coil- overs, Grafxwerks decals, lead foot on the gas and white-knuckled fist on the stick & Hankook RS-3 for AutoX http://noraracing.net/
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

like stang said, the provision for the driver's handle is probably there to support the now out-of-production Voltz, just like the floor hump is there to support the AWD model. On other cars the "transmission hump" may be to route the exhaust without losing ground clearance. A driver's side handle might come in handy at some times, maybe not in a panic situation.tnpartsguy - any pics yet? and any headroom issues?
tnpartsguy

Post by tnpartsguy »

Got a pic, but no idea how to put it on here. No headroom issues (remember I'm 6'3). I didn't want it to use in a driving situation, I wanted it to be pleasing to the eye. 4 indentions, 3 handles looked silly.

Attached files
chrispbacon

Re:

Post by chrispbacon »

tnpartsguy wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:08 am Got a pic, but no idea how to put it on here. No headroom issues (remember I'm 6'3). I didn't want it to use in a driving situation, I wanted it to be pleasing to the eye. 4 indentions, 3 handles looked silly.

Attached files

Hi there. I am hoping to get a clear answer on this. I have a 03 Vibe with a sunroof. On the front driver's side, I DO have the recess, but there is NO handle currently. You are right (3) handles does look silly. I want to put the handle up there so I can attach a cargo net to all (4) handles.

Does anyone have a pic of behind the headliner? Do you have pics TNPARTSGUY?

If the screw holes exist I will buy the handle and screws today.

Thanks you.

:)
Bookworm

Re: Re:

Post by Bookworm »

chrispbacon wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:57 am
tnpartsguy wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:08 am Got a pic, but no idea how to put it on here. No headroom issues (remember I'm 6'3). I didn't want it to use in a driving situation, I wanted it to be pleasing to the eye. 4 indentions, 3 handles looked silly.

Attached files

Hi there. I am hoping to get a clear answer on this. I have a 03 Vibe with a sunroof. On the front driver's side, I DO have the recess, but there is NO handle currently. You are right (3) handles does look silly. I want to put the handle up there so I can attach a cargo net to all (4) handles.

Does anyone have a pic of behind the headliner? Do you have pics TNPARTSGUY?

If the screw holes exist I will buy the handle and screws today.

Thanks you.

:)
After 14 years, I don't know if he's still around or not.

I think it's deliberate to _not_ have the handle at the driver's side, as it could interfere with mobility or safety. One of the other members might have removed their headliner - I seem to recall someone doing it at some point.
zbyers

Re: Grab Handle above Driver?

Post by zbyers »

My mom's 05 AWD has the oh crap handle above driver's door, as well as the C pillar airbags (also has A pillar and front seat airbags)... none of which were common on the vibe.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
chrispbacon

Post by chrispbacon »

zbyers wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:54 am My mom's 05 AWD has the oh crap handle above driver's door, as well as the C pillar airbags (also has A pillar and front seat airbags)... none of which were common on the vibe.
Hmm. Ok so it should be possible. I'm going to remove the headliner and see what I find. Thanks.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Here's a pic of Herb's 03 GT from viewtopic.php?f=20&t=34974 , a thread about moonroof drains but had some pics of headliner removed

lavaman

Post by lavaman »

I can tell you all with 100% certainty that the threaded holes are behind the recess in a sunroof car. I have added the fourth handle in my 04 & my 05 bases.
My wife's 05 awd with side airbags came with the fourth handle or it was installed by the previous owner