Seatbelt Buckle Replacement

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
Danyeln

Seatbelt Buckle Replacement

Post by Danyeln »

I have been lurking here since not long after I got my Vibe, 2003 Base Lava w/ Moons & Tunes, and yes I drove it off the lot, actually the first one that the dealership sold. lol. Y'all have been an amazing source of information over the years as I cling desperately to my baby.

As she ages, small things are wearing out and this week it is my driver side seat belt buckle. I followed all the directions I found about cleaning out the receiver and had no luck there, so I am on to replacing the part. I am having a lot of trouble finding an OEM part at a salvage yard. Right now I am buckling into the passenger side buckle, which works for now but doesn't feel especially safe. I saw an older thread about the safety light plug for the matrix part not fitting correctly so I would rather avoid that one. So my big question is, has anybody had any luck with a no name replacement?
joatmon

Re: Seatbelt Buckle Replacement

Post by joatmon »

I never had to mess with mine.

Maybe https://www.car-part.com would help finding one at a local salvage yard

Then there's ebay, perhaps https://www.ebay.com/itm/164233629888 or a similar listing there would work

kudos for keeping the car alive for so long
Danyeln

Post by Danyeln »

Thanks for he link, still nothing anywhere near local. Ebay did finally dawn on me after I posted my question and I am waiting to hear back on a couple questions before ordering.

Now to find somebody to replace it for me. I try to do most of my own work but I am just not strong enough to loosen those machine tightened bolts.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Some of us here would gladly help you IF we knew your whereabouts :o Update profile for us please :)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Danyeln

Post by Danyeln »

tpollauf wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:27 am Some of us here would gladly help you IF we knew your whereabouts :o Update profile for us please :)
That is a kind offer but I think I have it worked out. A coworker's grandson is a mechanic at a local dealership and says he can do it for me. Now if the Ebay seller will just get back to me. His listing did not specify that the plug for the safety light came attached. I can't imagine it wouldn't but I want to confirm before buying.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Danyeln wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:12 pm
tpollauf wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:27 am Some of us here would gladly help you IF we knew your whereabouts :o Update profile for us please :)
That is a kind offer but I think I have it worked out. A coworker's grandson is a mechanic at a local dealership and says he can do it for me. Now if the Ebay seller will just get back to me. His listing did not specify that the plug for the safety light came attached. I can't imagine it wouldn't but I want to confirm before buying.
If all else fails, I have some OEM ones from an '03 I am parting out... I will be a few hours north of you in a little over a month.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Zen

Post by Zen »

2003 Matrix buckle is identical to the 2003 Pontiac vibe. I just did a replacement as most junk yards don’t sell the seat belt components anymore and eBay was outrageous. Even with shipping the buckle was cheaper than eBay. I ordered from OEM peats quick. Hoping this helps others. The paperwork that came with buckle was actually for Corolla, so that may work also. I can only verify the Matrix for the 2003.