How to remove the cigarette lighter from an 2010

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
Elhuevon

How to remove the cigarette lighter from an 2010

Post by Elhuevon »

Looking for a way to remove the cigarette lighter from the center console. I'm swapping out the entire piece that the cig and power plug sit in but I can't get the cigarette part out.
zbyers

Re: How to remove the cigarette lighter from an 2010

Post by zbyers »

I'm not sure on the 09/10, but on the 03-08 it's kind of a pain. i've broken mine every time i've removed it. :lol: It somehow comes out from the backside, you loosen up all the trim pieces.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
SSizler

Post by SSizler »

i just had my 2003 version out last week. They may or may not be the same.
It is a pain in the a** if you dont take off the trim panel, but can be done.
I used 2 "dental picks" with the offset twists to get behind the two tabs you see from the insde, then gently pulled the lighter body out.
There is also a plastic retainer and a lighter stay as well, so 3 pieces not including the element.
You will need some sort of clip to hold the wires for the socket and light after you unplug them so they dont fall back thru the hole.
I used a pair of hemostats.
The pieces also need to be properly aligned when reinstalling, and the body has to be in the retainer before pushing it back into the stay.
it would be much easier to take the trim plate off on an '03, but the dash looks different on 2nd gen cars.
I had just reassembled the trim plate and didn't want to remove it again, so I did it the hard way. :|
If you are just wanting to replce the bulb for the light forget it.
You will have to purchase a new stay, as the bulb is soldered into the socket and is a one piece bulb / socket part that twists into the stay.
I could not find the bulb seperately from the stay.
I dont smoke or need the lighter, was just trying to get all the bulbs in the car working. :roll:
The stay for a first gen is part number 85515-02041 from various Toyota parts houses.
You can also find the parts on ebay but they are more costly.
Once again, this is all for a 03-08 first gen car.
Good luck!
2003 Vibe Base/ Frosty White Mono/ Total Loss 1-23
2006 Vibe AWD/ Lava Red Mono/ Loaded w/Leather and Sport Pkg/ 150k mi
2006 Vibe Base/ Stealth Gray Mono/ Loaded w/Leather/ 180k mi
40 years with a wonderful woman / 2 adult kids
jolt

Post by jolt »

Here is info in attachments (not in order and not step by step) You should be able to figure out what needs to be done. This is to show plastic clips (that break) and can not be replaced without replace the panel. The upper panel around the radio is on by clips too. Last thing is the PDF file about the outlet and how that is clipped in.

If you need more info, I would suggest you pay for subscription at AlldataDIY as this site has a limit to file size so all info can not be posted. Good luck with the clips as the dealer broke some of mine around the steering column when a air bag recall was done. This is not a 10 minute job.
Attachments
Image5.jpg
Image5.jpg (41.73 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
Image4.jpg
Image4.jpg (55.46 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (53.73 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (49.32 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
Power Outlets.pdf
(365.07 KiB) Downloaded 134 times