Fog lights: correct bulbs and retainer clips

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
nerdydaddyo

Fog lights: correct bulbs and retainer clips

Post by nerdydaddyo »

It's been awhile since I have visited the forums, but as a mechanic, when I see a design flaw and fix it, I have to pass the info along. The fog lights, the retainer clip IS replaceable. It isn't listed as such, but after doing some research, you can use the OFFICIAL GM 11570830 on both left and right. I have reinstalled both fog lights and can assure you that not only is it a perfect proper fit, the clips are of a much better design and quality that will last for years to come.

The bulbs are incorrect from factory. They should NOT be 90 degree angle standard 9006, and here is why. The retainer clips are where you adjust the aim of the fog light. The standard 90 degree bulb blocks that screw. Basically, you would have the worst time adjusting that by removing the bulb and reinserting it to check during adjustment. The CORRECT bulb (again, tried and true) is an XS type, which is the straight connector. I went with the GE 9006XSLL (both sides), a long life bulb that gets the job done. I also have reason to believe that the 90 degree angle bulb was thumping that retainer clip and contributing to the random bulb being blown out.

I have this exact setup in my 2003 Vibe, I'm sure this would apply to the sister Matrix as well. Hopefully this will solve any issues people have encountered with the fog lights as I have.
Me, my Vibe, and the open road...