SRS Airbag Codes and "Airbag Sensing and Diagnostic Module" replacement

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
GaryG92

SRS Airbag Codes and "Airbag Sensing and Diagnostic Module" replacement

Post by GaryG92 »

So for as long as I can remember, my airbag readiness light has been on. When I got some recall work done, the dealership told me my Airbag sensing and diagnostic module was bad, but I didn't want to jump the gun and buy into their $600 estimate for the repair.

Today I pulled my airbag codes by jumping the OBD connecting. The codes I got are: 35, 37, 52, 53, and 54.

Does this sound like that sensing and diagnostic module is bad? I found a new GM part on eBay for 1/4 of the price GM quoted me. I might buy it, and I'd probably just change it out myself.

It's located under the shifter, right? What all do I need to remove to get to it?

I've looked in my Chilton's repair manual for all this info, but there's not much on any of the safety system.
Proud Vibe owner as of 6/13/2015
05 Base, 131k miles
Team Lava
Looking forward to many years of good Vibes!
ImUrOBGYN

Re: SRS Airbag Codes and "Airbag Sensing and Diagnostic Module" replacement

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I have found you cant believe half the (removed) they say about the airbags, especially depending on the time frame of your questioning them. They're simply trying to save their asses money/time while this whole airbag recall fiasco continues. Personally, I had zero issues with airbags until I went in for their temp "fix" awhile back. Then my light came on, and they tried to tell me the same (removed). I'll be going back for the new airbag fix soon on the driver's side. If it's not fixed then, they can expect some phone calls to corporate. Guaranteed I pay for nothing when this is over. :twisted: Man, I hate GM (this isn't the only reason by FAR)
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
GaryG92

Post by GaryG92 »

ImUrOBGYN wrote:I have found you cant believe half the (removed) they say about the airbags, especially depending on the time frame of your questioning them. They're simply trying to save their asses money/time while this whole airbag recall fiasco continues. Personally, I had zero issues with airbags until I went in for their temp "fix" awhile back. Then my light came on, and they tried to tell me the same (removed). I'll be going back for the new airbag fix soon on the driver's side. If it's not fixed then, they can expect some phone calls to corporate. Guaranteed I pay for nothing when this is over. :twisted: Man, I hate GM (this isn't the only reason by FAR)
Well I just pulled these codes myself. Seems crazy to have 5 codes. Idk what to do about all of them.
05 Base, 131k miles
Team Lava
GaryG92

Post by GaryG92 »

Got in touch with a company that does a lot of airbag work, module replacement and whatnot. Here's what they say the codes are:

35 - door side impact airbag sensor LH malfunction

37 - front air bag sensor LH malfunction

52 - short to battery power (12 volts) in P airbag or explosive module circuit

53 - open in P airbag or explosive module circuit

54 - open in passenger's airbag or explosive module circuit
05 Base, 131k miles
Team Lava
GaryG92

Post by GaryG92 »

The first time I pulled these codes, I jumped the connector and then turned the car on (not the engine) and it gave me those 5 codes.

I decided to try again today, but instead I turned the car on, waited a little bit, and jumped the connector. This time I only got code 53.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? I just want my airbags to function properly in case something were to happen.
05 Base, 131k miles
Team Lava