Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
joatmon

Re: (moongdss)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by moongdss »Is the pre-existing wiring for this socket already run through a fuse? Can anyone tell me which fuse? Thankies!! The power comes from the 15 Amp P/POINT fuse, which is in the hard to access under dash fuse panel. If you're having a problem where the power to the pre-existing wiring isn't powered, then it could be a blown P/POINT fuse, or it could be the CIG fuse. The CIG fuse drives a relay that connects the P/POINT fuse to the pre-existing wiring
ehoff121

Re: Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console

Post by ehoff121 »

Just added the 12V socket to my 2005 AWD using the following parts ordered from http://www.toyotapart.com/:82166-01010 Wire, Console Box $9.65 -- This connects the socket to the wiring under the console85530-06010 Socket Assembly, Power Plug $14.08 -- The socket, which fits into the cover85535-02031 Cover Power Outlet $4.62 -- It's gray with the warning sticker inside, just like the photo in the first post.Took less than 20 minutes.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Thanks for the write up guys! I will be ordering these parts tomorrow to do this install in the 08 Frosty.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
prathman

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by prathman »

Or you can head over to Radio Shack and get a 12V outlet for about $8. Their's needs a touch of filing to make it fit the opening in the bottom of the console. But that only takes a minute and then its a perfect fit and comes with a connector that clamps to the +12 wire that's already under the console. Also includes the cover but without the warning sticker.I put one of these into each of our Vibes.
ou.grizzly

Re: (prathman)

Post by ou.grizzly »

That is a great deal, yet I am not very good at wiring. But plug-n-play is a different story. I just ordered the parts from North Ridge Toyota in California. Free shipping and no tax to Michigan. Great service and prices!http://www.northridgetoyotaparts.comI am also going to try to contact the parts manager Erik later on to see if they would become a vendor/support here. I think it is a great opportunity for this site and them.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
knaffie

Post by knaffie »

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I used these wires to power the heated seats I put in this weekend. Worked out perfect. Because the wires are already fused, I didn't even have to add a fuse that would have required tearing out the console to change.
Derf

Post by Derf »

Great topic. Knowing the power plug was already their and what fuse sources the circuit, made this easy.

Here is a video showing the install:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMFvGZERHVw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Used NAPA auxillary power source Part 782-1635 about $8.00, make sure to use the plastic cap in the kit.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
Derf

Post by Derf »

Update: bought the factory 12v plug that Joatmon had listed on Genvibe. Put the factory plug in the console (fit much better than the generic aftermarket) took the aftermarket plug and put in on the rear of the console. In hindsight,.. what a PIA :o The concept is easy, but took a lot longer than anticipated due to working around the rear retractable cup holder. The depth is very minimal which required removing the power tabs on the aftermarket cig receptacle, shortening the threaded barrel at the top, creating custom spacers to get the depth, and soldering the power connections to keep the mount shallow. Took about two hours with a grinder, Dremel tool, and a 1" step drill bit. If I didn't need the car the next day, I would have created a better spacer to match the console. On the bright side, the Smart phone Zombies :? that sit in the back can quit asking me to plug their charger in up front. The only downside, the 12v dash cig receptacle, console receptacle, rear receptacle and power inverter are all on the same fuse?

Finished result:

Looking from bottom toward top, note how the cig receptacle just clears the retracted cup holder:
Last edited by Derf on Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Looks like a lot of work, but also like you did a good job
Derf wrote:The only downside, the 12v dash cig receptacle, console receptacle, rear receptacle and power inverter are all on the same fuse.
The 12V dash cig is on the CIG fuse, the power inverter is on the INV fuse, and the center console outlet is on the P/POINT fuse, so you'll probably be ok.
DTeck

Post by DTeck »

I just ordered the parts to do this from the nearest Toyoda dealer.
DTeck

Post by DTeck »

I just preformed this mod and it was simple plug and play. Looks like it came from the factory with the second charger. I don't see why anyone wouldn't preform this mod.
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

I'd do it if I thought anyone would ever actually use it...
Dopecracka

Post by Dopecracka »

I was able to find an 03 Matrix center console from my local junkyard and it had the parts ready to go for this install. I would recommend this to anyone else as it upgrades your arm rest as well :)
Maroon 05 Single-Tone Vibe. Kansas.
c918

Post by c918 »

Dopecracka wrote:I was able to find an 03 Matrix center console from my local junkyard and it had the parts ready to go for this install. I would recommend this to anyone else as it upgrades your arm rest as well :)

Me too cost me just $12 for the socket and armrest
lph4life

Post by lph4life »

Hey all, new to the forum but have been following. Will post details of the 2006 vibe Soon.
I’m curious on adding the socket to the middle console. I have taken the console apart and have located the wiring.

The socket that I have has both a negative and positive wire. Would (or should) I be able to crimp the positive to positive and negative to negative? Or is it not that simple.

Here is the socket I have.

https://www.amazon.ca/uxcell®-Charger-C ... B00EZJBELQ

Sammy
2006 Vibe
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

lph4life wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:20 am Hey all, new to the forum but have been following. Will post details of the 2006 vibe Soon.
I’m curious on adding the socket to the middle console. I have taken the console apart and have located the wiring.

The socket that I have has both a negative and positive wire. Would (or should) I be able to crimp the positive to positive and negative to negative? Or is it not that simple.

Here is the socket I have.

https://www.amazon.ca/uxcell®-Charger-C ... B00EZJBELQ

Sammy
2006 Vibe
You could, but honestly, for the cost of walking through a yard, you could just snag the correct one that is plug and play. If you feel so inclined to cut the wires, I would at least use some spade connectors or something so that it could still be removable. If you don't do that, you'd be cutting the wires nearly any time you want to remove the center console.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe