Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
GMJAP

Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console

Post by GMJAP »

I've always felt a bit gipped that the 05 doesn't come with the center console 12v outlet. So, the other weekend, I pulled up my 2005 center console to see if, as speculated by several GenVibe members, they left in the 12v socket wiring even though the US 05's don't have the plug.Sure enough, the wiring & connector for the 12v socket was still there. So I got the socket parts for the 03/04 off gmpartsdirect.com and added a feature that should have never been taken out!A)First, I pulled up the felt bottoms at the front and inside the center console, and removed the four hex bolts. With the bolts removed, the whole console piece can be lifted out.(pull up the parking break lever to make this easier)B)The arrow shows the connector that plugs into the wiring coming off the 12v socket on 03 and 04 models. It clips to the plastic harnessunderneath it to keep it in place.C)Below are the parts I used:1) Socket cover & sleeve, GM part # 889715142) Power Socket, GM part & 889715153) I couldn't find the mating connector to the GM one, so I picked up a pair of power connectors from Radio Shack, part # 274-222.4) To connect to the power socket blade connectors, I needed a couple of quick-disconnect lugs. The 2 tabs on the socket are different sizes, so I got a one for a 0.250" tab (red) and one for a 0.187" tab (blue)(Reminder that it's always recommended to disconnect the battery negative cable before doing electrical work, or at least pull the appropriate fuse)D)I cut off the wires from the factory connector and replaced it with one of the Radio shack connectors. The other RS connector I wired with about 8-10" of wire to the quick-disconnect lugs.Because the RS connectors don't clip into the plastic harness like the factory did to keep them in place, I used a cable tie around the harness and connectors.On the original connector, the White/Black wire is ground, the Blue/White wire is +12V. The RS connectors and lugs need to be connected so the Wh/Bk wire connects to the larger lug and tab, and the Bl/Wh positive wire connected to the smaller lug and tab.Note that on the +12v socket, the larger tab says "12V", even though it should be connected to gound.E)I put the socket in the cover/sleeve, which clips into the hole in the bottom of the console. Connect the lugs over the proper tabs.F)Put the console back in and it's done!

Attached files
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
GMJAP

Re: Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console (GMJAP)

Post by GMJAP »

post for pic 2

Attached files
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

post for pic 3

Attached files
Geo

Post by Geo »

BADGER PRIDE
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Nice write up and good news that the wiring is still there. It really was pretty lame of the to drop that, expecially if the wiring is still there.Good Job!
binary

Re: Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console

Post by binary »

With more '05s on the road every day - and joining up here - this is one of the more simple, but useful mods. It's perfect for a cell phone or pda charging port... or 12v cooler. Bump this post - Maybe make it a sticky just because it's got perfect step by step instructions. Way to go!
Toasted7

Re: Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console (binary)

Post by Toasted7 »

Wow, I'm impressed with this post. I picked up the parts I need at the Ohio meet this weekend (freebie from tnpartsguy... thanx!) and I'll be doing this "mod" next weekend. Thanx for the great post!!!
VMFIC of Cincinnati Scikotics Cincinnati Scikotics sponsored by: KerryScion.com My other ride is your mom
Josh

Post by Josh »

Called Toyota yesterday...With a little digging they found this P/N82166-01010-Wire $16.26This is SUPPOSED to be the harness from the chassis wiring harness to the 12vdc socket.Here are the P/N and prices for the socket and cover.85530-06010 socket $22.3485535-02031 cover $7.39
GMJAP

Re: Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console (Josh)

Post by GMJAP »

Great find!Interesting pricing. The GMPartsDirect pricing for the socket & cover is $14 and $12. I guess get the socket from GM and the cover & wiring from Toyota?
Dj_kulture

Post by Dj_kulture »

If you do this mod, is the socket always on, or switched on?If it is switched on... can you use the same mod in this thread..http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=6403to bypass the relay with a jumper to keep the NEW rear socket always on?I guess what i am asking, is there still the relay for this circuit behind the glove box? is it the same as the above thread... Also what fuse does this connect to? How much do you think would be too much current draw... I'm thinking about adding a 2 or 3 way 12v socket splitter and mounting near the top of the thing... -Jason '05 Vibe (base)
2005 Base, A/T, Neptune (monochrome), STOCK (for now)
GMJAP

Re: Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console (Dj_kulture)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by Dj_kulture »If you do this mod, is the socket always on, or switched on?It's swtiched with ignitionQuote, originally posted by Dj_kulture »If it is switched on... can you use the same mod in this thread..http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=6403to bypass the relay with a jumper to keep the NEW rear socket always on?I guess what i am asking, is there still the relay for this circuit behind the glove box? is it the same as the above thread... Yes, the relay is still there, and this mod is applicable to 05 Vibes.Quote, originally posted by Dj_kulture »Also what fuse does this connect to? How much do you think would be too much current draw... I'm thinking about adding a 2 or 3 way 12v socket splitter and mounting near the top of the thing... Argh.. I forget the name of the fuse, but I'm pretty sure it's a 15 Amp fuse.More important than the fuse, I think, is the wiring. The chassis wiring for that socket is 20-some AWG, I believe. I definitely would never pull more than a couple Amps from that, and would recommend you keep it to 1 Amp max.
joatmon

Re: Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console (Josh)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by Josh »Called Toyota yesterday...With a little digging they found this P/N82166-01010-Wire $16.26This is SUPPOSED to be the harness from the chassis wiring harness to the 12vdc socket.someone I know just bought an 05 Vibe, and I thought this socket would be a good welcome to vibedom gift, so when I ordered this wiring adapter, they told me after my order there were three more of them in the US. For what that's worth.
GMJAP

Re: Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console (joatmon)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »someone I know just bought an 05 Vibe, and I thought this socket would be a good welcome to vibedom gift, so when I ordered this wiring adapter, they told me after my order there were three more of them in the US. For what that's worth.Hmmm... Well, let us know if it's the right part when you get it, anyway.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by Dj_kulture »Also what fuse does this connect to? How much do you think would be too much current draw... I'm thinking about adding a 2 or 3 way 12v socket splitter and mounting near the top of the thing... The cigarette lighter and the radio are powered by the 15A "CIG" fuse. I can verify this because I blew it by plugging in a heavy load to the cigarette lighter and it took out the radio power with it. THe 12V outlet in the console between the seats is powered by the 15A P/POINT fuse.The fuse block up under the left side of the dash is a pain to get to, so I hope you don't blow one of them.
Dj_kulture

Post by Dj_kulture »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »THe 12V outlet in the console between the seats is powered by the 15A P/POINT fuse.The fuse block up under the left side of the dash is a pain to get to, so I hope you don't blow one of them.Does that fuse power anything else? or just that p/Point.. and if so... then they actually installed a fuse, to some wires that go NOWHERE? Seems really dumb to have everything there, except for the powerpoint.
tentdirt

Post by tentdirt »

Looks like a great mod (although i dont know why it was ever discontinued in the '05s).Does anyone know if this: http://www.radioshack.com/prod...-1556would work??? I'm getting hard pressed for power access between the cell phone charger, gps power, ipod charger... not to mention i already have snuck some power from the back of the lighter for the hardwired fm modulator...thanks,brooke
2005 vibe base *4speed automatic.....*moon & tunes package.....*power group package*monotone package.....*17" wheels.....*exhaust tip.....*hand-made cargo liner*garmin gps navigation
Dj_kulture

Re: Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console (tentdirt)

Post by Dj_kulture »

BROOKE.. I'd say you are a prime candidate for this mod. (note: I plan on doing it, but haven't yet)...But based on what others have said in this thread, the power that would be sent to the console power point is on a different power bus than the one used in the dash... So you wouldn't be taxing the same fuse that you already have your XM direct FM box on and ... i'm guessing your cell charger, or some other plug in in the dash....The Rat-Shack socket should work, but it doens't look like the best quality, and looking in the console there is already a spot for it... so you wouldn't really need the black plastic that comes with that... I'm going to wal-mart tonight to check out their selection. I don't think I need to spend the 15, and 14 bucks for the parts from the dealer... also... you might want to consider what i am thinking about... just tapping into those wires located under the console, but instead of installing just one socket, running the wires into the bottom of the console and putting in a 2 or 3 socket box.. (i've seen these at wal-mart or any autoparts store).Another thought... if you also do the relay bypass mod so that the power point stays on with the swtich off.. you could also put a simple switch and LED in line with the circuit so you can cut it on and off independent of the car's ACC, and also you'd have the indicator light to let you know if it is on or not.This will most likely be my first major mod on the Vibe.
Dj_kulture

Post by Dj_kulture »

ok! I did it today.. no real major problems.. and did it for UNDER 5 bucks.At walmart they have the Casco Aux. 12v Power source, came with the socket, back sleeve, a brace (which i tossed), terminals on wires, and splicing clips... I had to extend the GND wire to get it to stay on...cost about $4.87first mod, 1 week from Date of purchase.And it is so much better having a clean dash.. I can even leave my cell in the cell holder and run the power charger up to it and close the console... much cleaner look, no wires haning around the shifter.PEACE...out to the bahamas and key west... see ya'll next week!
the_nite_owl

Post by the_nite_owl »

I bought a Matrix center console on eBay.It had the extra compartment armrest bringing it up higher which is what I bought it for, but it also had the 12v accessory outlet. It plugged right into the existing harness of my 2005 AWD Vibe and I am a happy camper for two reasons now.Damned cheap thing to eliminate from the car though. You would think the relay costs more than the outlet yet all the wiring is still there.If they were not ready to change the wiring yet they should have included that cheap accessory outlet until they were.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by GMJAP »Hmmm... Well, let us know if it's the right part when you get it, anyway.It was exactly the same as the one my 03
Digger

Post by Digger »

I got one at pep boy's
2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"
Digger

Re: Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console (binary)

Post by Digger »

Did mine today for under 10 bucks
2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"
binary

Post by binary »

Darn it - someone make this a sticky post!I installed mine when I did my major console modding - which included hardwiring my XM radio to the cubby in front of the cup holders, adding an LED inside the console, hardwiring electrical for the XM, LED, and outlet to the existing wiring.Yeah - someone make this a sticky!
binary

Post by binary »

Hey, thanks - I've been busy, so I haven't been here in a while.
tahoan

Post by tahoan »

You rock!I read the owners manual, and it tells you not to plug anything into the cigarette lighter, but to use the Accessory Power Outlet. I turned to that page which read that this was located in the center console. It does not indicate that is an option. This lead me to believe it was standard equip, and I didn't look. When I realized it wasn't included, I felt a little cheated. I do have a 2005, and my manual is for a 2005) I'm not too handy and this will help make sure I do it right. Do you happen to know if you can make the outlet run full time. If you start charging your phone and stop the car to run into the store, it starts a new charging cycle each time you stop the car, so it is bad for the phone battery. If not, you have already made my day with this information.
GMJAP

Re: Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console (tahoan)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by tahoan »Do you happen to know if you can make the outlet run full time. If you start charging your phone and stop the car to run into the store, it starts a new charging cycle each time you stop the car, so it is bad for the phone battery. If not, you have already made my day with this information. Glad you found it helpful!Joatmon has a great post on how to do this (make it on full time). It applies to the 2005 as well; the relay is still there in the same place:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=6403
willawanca

What about 06s?

Post by willawanca »

I was wondering if the wiring is still there in the '06s? I just got my vibe, and would love to have this added outlet. But i don't want to tear up the console to find that it's not there.
GMJAP

Re: What about 06s? (willawanca)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by willawanca »I was wondering if the wiring is still there in the '06s? I just got my vibe, and would love to have this added outlet. But i don't want to tear up the console to find that it's not there.Don't know. We're dependent on some helpful 2006 owner to check..... which could be you. (You don't have to "tear up" the console. Just 4 screws and it lifts easily. You wouldn't need to lift it all the way out to check for the wiring.)
binary

Re: What about 06s? (willawanca)

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by willawanca »I was wondering if the wiring is still there in the '06s? I just got my vibe, and would love to have this added outlet. But i don't want to tear up the console to find that it's not there.Tear up? 4 x 10mm bolts... that's it - it lifts right out. Be a contributor and find out for us! if you have a ratchet and an extension - you could have it out and back in, less than 5 minutes.
tcblvs1

Re: What about 06s? (binary)

Post by tcblvs1 »

i just purchased an 06 and i bleieve its unchanged.i see the clip and all the wiring appears the same.i am going to try to upload a pic of what i found .how do u add a pic?

Attached files
GMJAP

Re: What about 06s? (tcblvs1)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by tcblvs1 »i just purchased an 06 and i bleieve its unchanged.i see the clip and all the wiring appears the same.i am going to try to upload a pic of what i found .how do u add a pic?Thanks for posting! Good to know for 2006 owners.
pickpart

Post by pickpart »

Excellent post. Thanks for finding those bolts under the felt. This was a very easy add on. I personally bought my lighter kit from Walmart. $2.99. They also had the spade connectors needed to make the electrical connection.
binary

Post by binary »

There is also a seperate fuse for this outlet, the dash mounted 12v doesn't share the same circuit.And they are an absolute behotch to change. However, I found the plastic fuse puller in the underhood fusebox very helpful - thanks Pontiac or Toyota!
brbo

Re: Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console (pickpart)

Post by brbo »

Just an FYI - I've been looking on E-bay for the Center Console armreast from a previous version,, and to install the lighter assembly,, Thought about it on my way home today - why I don't I try an Import Wrecker,, Found an almost new console - pulled the plug with all the original OEM wiring and the lid with the extra compartment for less than what Toyota/GM wants for just the socket plug,,, R&R,, GM Wiring Harness Number - 82166-01010 (Toy# out of a Vibe Console)GM Socket Assembly- 88971514GM Cover Assembly- 88971515Cheers,B -'06AWD
GMJAP

Re: Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console (brbo)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by brbo »Just an FYI - I've been looking on E-bay for the Center Console armreast from a previous version,, and to install the lighter assembly,, Thought about it on my way home today - why I don't I try an Import Wrecker,, Found an almost new console - pulled the plug with all the original OEM wiring and the lid with the extra compartment for less than what Toyota/GM wants for just the socket plug,,, R&R,, GM Wiring Harness Number - 82166-01010 (Toy# out of a Vibe Console)GM Socket Assembly- 85530-06010GM Cover Assembly- 85535-02031Cheers,B -'06AWDGreat idea!However, those part numbers are Toyota, not GM.
brbo

Post by brbo »

You're correct,, I've edited them,, I guess my point was the number on the harness that came from an '03 Vibe had the Toy# attached to it,, and Toy wanted Retail CDN $33 when I called today,,Very happy with the Armrest, just being that much higher make it usable,,Cheers,B -'06AWD
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by brbo »Just an FYI - I've been looking on E-bay for the Center Console armreast from a previous version,, and to install the lighter assembly,, Thought about it on my way home today - why I don't I try an Import Wrecker,, Found an almost new console - pulled the plug with all the original OEM wiring and the lid with the extra compartment for less than what Toyota/GM wants for just the socket plug,,, R&R,, you should check with francismm to see if he is still looking for a rear cup holder in http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=20160
brbo

Post by brbo »

Unfortunately the actual cup holder isn't worth the envolope to mail in,, it's been damaged,, B -'06AWD
Crimsyn

Post by Crimsyn »

My first post! Thanks for the info. I just picked up a 2006 Vibe & this post made adding the socket simple.
zionzr2

Re: Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console (Crimsyn)

Post by zionzr2 »

Quote, originally posted by Crimsyn »My first post! Thanks for the info. I just picked up a 2006 Vibe & this post made adding the socket simple.Awesome! And Welcome to our Vibedom!!!Dont forget we LOVE pics!!
kunkstyle

Post by kunkstyle »

Thanks a lot! Now not only can I get my Sirius plugged in where it doesn't clutter up the dash, but I can stop dropping my change down the empty hole.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
waveresponder

Post by waveresponder »

i finally added the center console outlet.....i wanted the taller armrest as well....i have an '07...ended up ordering an older console from Pams Auto i think it was....anyways...completly forgetting about the outlet and only focusing on getting to taller armrest...i was happy when it finally arrived in the mail with the original outlet plug still in the console....so i took a look to see if it could just plug in and yes it does!...now i dont have to worry about turning my scanner on and off anymore..since now it just comes on whenever i turn the ignition switch on....being that the outlet plug for the scanner has a on/off switch on it...yayyyyy!
Whelan

Re: Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console (tahoan)

Post by Whelan »

What's odd is my Trix comes with that 12V in the center console.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
joatmon

Re: Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console (Whelan)

Post by joatmon »

In Vibes, it was lost in the 2005 decontentment, along with the roof rack criossbars and the upper storage center console lid. However, the 115V AC inverter and air conditioning can be optional on some matrixes, but are standard on all Vibes. (mentioned that so vibers don't feel bad, or trixers don't go gettin all uppity on us )
p8md

Post by p8md »

If anyone is wondering... The clip and wiring is identical to the pictures on the 2008. I just added a $7 outlet to the compartment and wired an FM modulator under the console.
asburydan

Re: Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console (Josh) PARTS QUESTION

Post by asburydan »

I was able to order the wiring harness (82166-0601010), the socket (85530-06010) and the cover (855-02031) today from an area Toyota dealer so I can add a 12V socket to my '05 Vibe center console. From all that is written in this forum, I am assuming those 3 parts are all I will need (plus the good directions found here). Confirmation or additions? Thanks.
asburydan - moved from Vibe to 5th Mustang.
kunkstyle

Re: Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console (Josh) PARTS QUESTION (asburydan)

Post by kunkstyle »

Correct, that's all you need.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
asburydan

Re: Adding +12V socket to 2005 Center Console (kunkstyle)

Post by asburydan »

Thanks for the affirmation. Here is what my '05 looks like by replacing dealer emblem with "1.8 L" plus adding black Pontiac arrowhead overlay and black PONTIAC letters overlay.

Attached files
asburydan - moved from Vibe to 5th Mustang.
ClunkClunk

Post by ClunkClunk »

Success with a $5 Wallymart socket, and a few extra lengths of wire. Thanks for the writeup.
2008 Frosty two tone (and 3 other Vibes)
moongdss

Post by moongdss »

Is the pre-existing wiring for this socket already run through a fuse? Can anyone tell me which fuse? Thankies!!
Pandora the 2006 Pontiac Salsa Vibe, 17"wheelsMods: tint, "Pandora" windshield decal, front badge skull overlay, rainguards, hoodguard, Projectorz headlite covers, black painted grills, FIAMM dual-tone horns, black grafxwerks overlays, redouts, Genvibe decals, splashguards, scangaugeII, 12v console outlet, DRL interrupt and I turned off that @#$% seat-belt beep! upcoming: red interior LEDs