Assembling Street Basis Z Coilovers?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
DopeVibeGT

Assembling Street Basis Z Coilovers?

Post by DopeVibeGT »

My shocks and struts are shot (With over 300k on them, lowered most of it's life)and im replacing them with the Tein Street Basis Z Coilovers. Im not reusing the old factory mounts. I bought new Moog K90330 strut mounts. Now, I am assuming with these, I still need the strut dust seals or no? The assembly guide included with the coilovers show the seal but wasnt sure with the Moog mounts. GM part # 88970152 which I cant find anywhere but the Toyota version # 90303-22002 I can get.
Can anyone help with this? Thanks. 8-)
Pictures of my ride!!'03 Vibe GTMy AED GA!Work in progress
zbyers

Re: Assembling Street Basis Z Coilovers?

Post by zbyers »

Yes, those rubber seal thingys between the top hat and the spring itself are needed. Keeps the vehicle from making all sorts of crazy popping and banging noises if they were metal against metal. Toyota version should suffice.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
DopeVibeGT

Post by DopeVibeGT »

zbyers wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:42 am Yes, those rubber seal thingys between the top hat and the spring itself are needed. Keeps the vehicle from making all sorts of crazy popping and banging noises if they were metal against metal. Toyota version should suffice.
Yeah, found them and have the coilovers assembled. Now to get them on the car. Cant wait because the factory shocks are so bad, they bottom on the bump stop if i hit a sudden bump. Thanks. 8-)
DopeVibeGT

Post by DopeVibeGT »

Ok, they say not to use an impact wrench on the top nut, which makes sense. Dont want to damage the insides. But, how do you actually tighten it then? Theres no place to put another wrench to stop it from spinning. :?

Update: Solved! For others wondering about this, use the adjuster wrench that comes with the coilovers to hold the top spring plate in place. 8-)