Rear Monroe QuickStruts Installation - HELP!

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
ColonelPanic

Rear Monroe QuickStruts Installation - HELP!

Post by ColonelPanic »

I seem to have found myself into a bit of a situation...

Trying to install a set of rear Monroe QuickStruts ( 171373L/171373R.) So far I only have attempted the right side.

First observation, the Monroes are considerably longer than the old factory units and that is causing me considerable drama trying to get them installed:
quickstruts1.jpg
quickstruts1.jpg (345.53 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
I'm having problems with getting the front stud in the hole and it's next to impossible to get the bottom on the stud there.

The only thing I've been able to do is place a jack under the strut and lift it up, which lets me get both top studs in. But then, the bottom is sitting crooked and will not go on the stud down there.
quickstruts2..jpg
quickstruts2..jpg (137.16 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
I've tried pulling down on the axle to so the bottom stud gets closer to the strut, but it's not enough.

I tried forcing it on with a few whacks of a rubber mallet and got it started, but then it was so crooked and tight all it wanted to do was eat up the threads on the bottom stud.

What's the trick I'm missing here?
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
ColonelPanic

Re: Rear Monroe QuickStruts Installation - HELP!

Post by ColonelPanic »

Aanndddd, I finally got it.

Supported the axle with my larger floor jack. Stuck the strut studs through the top as best as I could. Used my little low profile 1.5 ton jack to go under the strut. Jacked the strut up, got the studs through then just fought with it until I was able to get the bottom stud through. A few good whacks with the rubber mallet and it was finally on.

Oddly enough, the driver's side went on MUCH easier. The original was a bear to get off, however.

Started around 10:00, now it's almost 16:00 and I still need to finish buttoning things up inside. "Quick struts." :lol:

Image Image
jolt

Post by jolt »

Instead of doing one coil over at a time; if you would have taken both off the axle, the axle would have swung down further. That is why the second coil over went on easier then the first one did. You were kind of fighting yourself though the rear solid axle when doing one long coil over and one short coil over. Pulling down on the axle would do very little when the other side of the axle is held up by the short shock. The AWD rear would be different as you would not have a solid axle in the rear. Experience is a great learning tool to add wisdom to your years, provided we can still remember these things when we are old. ;)
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Thanks for the advice and you're exactly right - I was doing a great job at fighting with myself!

It's always a learning experience. Everything worked out fine in the end and save for the front struts being trashed, the ride is quite improved. I'll be tearing into the front struts soon as well, so that will be interesting. :D

Image Image
SSizler

Post by SSizler »

Rock Auto rebates page shows $50 rebate on 2 KYB strut-plus units thru June 30.
I missed out on that rebate, just finished installing my new KYB strut-plus struts last week.
They went on with zero problems.
2003 Vibe Base / Frosty Mono / Moon & Tunes / Auto / 206k mi / Total Loss 1-23
2006 Vibe AWD / Lava Mono / Loaded w/Leather and Sport Pkg / 150k mi
Many other 2 & 4 wheel toys :mrgreen:
40 years with a wonderful woman / 2 adult kids
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I was going to say basically exactly what Jolt did. Glad to hear you got them done. Much smoother ride now?
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

SSizler wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:13 am Rock Auto rebates page shows $50 rebate on 2 KYB strut-plus units thru June 30.
I missed out on that rebate, just finished installing my new KYB strut-plus struts last week.
How's the ride with those? Those are my #1 consideration for the front.

I put KYB shocks on the rear of my Sonic and it gave it a much more "busy" and stiff ride than the softer OEM shocks had when they were new. It handled better than it ever did, but the ride was annoying. I was kind of second guessing my purchase, but over time (and with a different set of tires) it rides better now.

The Vibe doesn't need any help in the riding-rough department, so I was kind of worried about that. :lol:

And yeah zbyers the ride is mostly nice and smooth. Still have the trashed fronts on there, but I'll be changing those out soon. Since I didn't want to take it to get it aligned during lockdown, I left the fronts alone for now.

Image Image
SSizler

Post by SSizler »

ColonelPanic wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:23 pm
SSizler wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:13 am Rock Auto rebates page shows $50 rebate on 2 KYB strut-plus units thru June 30.
How's the ride with those? Those are my #1 consideration for the front.

I put KYB shocks on the rear of my Sonic and it gave it a much more "busy" and stiff ride than the softer OEM shocks had when they were new. It handled better than it ever did, but the ride was annoying. I was kind of second guessing my purchase, but over time (and with a different set of tires) it rides better now.

The Vibe doesn't need any help in the riding-rough department, so I was kind of worried about that. :lol:

And yeah zbyers the ride is mostly nice and smooth. Still have the trashed fronts on there, but I'll be changing those out soon. Since I didn't want to take it to get it aligned during lockdown, I left the fronts alone for now.
I think the ride is nice.
I replaced a noisy wheel bearing and put on new tires also, so can only compare the package deal.
I installed Monroes on the rear first as you did, and thought they were kind of soft / cushy.
I didn't want to lose responsiveness in the front, And the KYBs feel pretty much like the originals did.
I also didn't want to fiddle with the shaft protruding on the Monroe fronts, and think the build quality is a step above the Monroes I put on the rear.
2003 Vibe Base / Frosty Mono / Moon & Tunes / Auto / 206k mi / Total Loss 1-23
2006 Vibe AWD / Lava Mono / Loaded w/Leather and Sport Pkg / 150k mi
Many other 2 & 4 wheel toys :mrgreen:
40 years with a wonderful woman / 2 adult kids
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

SSizler wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:25 pm I think the ride is nice.
I replaced a noisy wheel bearing and put on new tires also, so can only compare the package deal.
I installed Monroes on the rear first as you did, and thought they were kind of soft / cushy.
I didn't want to lose responsiveness in the front, And the KYBs feel pretty much like the originals did.
I also didn't want to fiddle with the shaft protruding on the Monroe fronts, and think the build quality is a step above the Monroes I put on the rear.
Awesome, I appreciate the input. Sounds like the KYB's are the winners here for sure. 8-)

Image Image