Routine Front End Repair

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Milesb

Routine Front End Repair

Post by Milesb »

I have a 2008 Vibe with 132,000 miles on it. I am planning to inspect the front end and replace anything that looks worn out. I plan to look at ball joints, tie rods and sway bars. Do these things generally need to be replaced at 130,000 miles? I am also wondering if/when water pumps tend to go out? I know some cars recommend replacing it at 100,000 miles.
I plan to drive this car to 200,000 miles or more and mind putting some money into it.
andrewclaus

Re: Routine Front End Repair

Post by andrewclaus »

Inspect CV boots and struts, probably the most likely wear items beside brakes.

If it hasn't been aligned recently, I suggest doing that and let the pros inspect the parts for wear. A local shop may give you a free inspection and estimate.

My '07 has 175K miles and I just put in new struts and one wheel bearing. As far as I know and can tell, everything else was original.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

andrewclaus wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:30 am Inspect CV boots and struts, probably the most likely wear items beside brakes.

If it hasn't been aligned recently, I suggest doing that and let the pros inspect the parts for wear. A local shop may give you a free inspection and estimate.

My '07 has 175K miles and I just put in new struts and one wheel bearing. As far as I know and can tell, everything else was original.
I concur. My '07 just rolled 205k, and we haven't replaced anything other than one wheel bearing. I will likely do ball joints and struts soon, if I decide to keep the car.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Transylvania

Post by Transylvania »

I replaced all 4 struts at 160k when purchased the car. At 190k, replaced both outer tie rods and had an alignment. High end tires made all the difference to the ride quality. Also, don't forget the fluids either...