Trailing arm rust

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
ZZvroom

Trailing arm rust

Post by ZZvroom »

Hi:
I just bought a 2003 GT. It's very clear in all regards but one. The trailing arms are far more rusty than anything else down there, including including FE parts.

Anyone else having this issue? I'm debating the possibility of pulling the arms, hot tanking them and repainting them as some point.
Bookworm

Re: Trailing arm rust

Post by Bookworm »

ZZvroom wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:01 pm Hi:
I just bought a 2003 GT. It's very clear in all regards but one. The trailing arms are far more rusty than anything else down there, including including FE parts.

Anyone else having this issue? I'm debating the possibility of pulling the arms, hot tanking them and repainting them as some point.
If you hot tank, you could do the extra step and parkerize :)
jolt

Re: Trailing arm rust

Post by jolt »

If I was going to do that, I would get them sandblasted and power coated. Hot tank can be different chemicals for different things, know what chemicals are in the hot tank before soaking your parts. A hot tank at a auto machine shop does not remove rust. It is to remove grease, oils, and dirt. If it removed rust, it will also remove metal and you do not want that on machined surfaces. The hot tank may also require removal of all the control arm bushings, which you may want to replace anyways while you have the control arms out. Sandblasting and powered coating would not require the removal of the bushings.