Noise from wheel after new rotors and brakes

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
ecchristian

Noise from wheel after new rotors and brakes

Post by ecchristian »

Hey y’all, so I changed my front rotors and brakes for the first time and now there’s a noise that my right front wheel makes while I’m driving, I can hear it every rotation of the wheel it’s almost a whirling noise. The noise goes away if I press on the brakes at all which makes me think it’s something internal and not just my splash guard rubbing the tire. Anyone had a similar thing happen or have a good guess on what it might be? I got new tire rods and wheel bearings no more than 8 months ago so I don’t think it’s a bearing making the noise but it sounds almost similar to that issue.
vibrologist

Re: Noise from wheel after new rotors and brakes

Post by vibrologist »

Most likely the pads are keeping in contact with the rotor. Did you clean and lubricate the sliders?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
ecchristian

Post by ecchristian »

I’m not sure what the sliders are which makes me think I probably did not lol

Also I pulled a u turn to the left this morning leaving my house and I really felt like something was touching over there on my right wheel. Not sure if this helps with your diagnosis but it seems to exaggerate the noise/vibration when I’m turning hard
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Did you remove all of the tools you used? are the caliper mounting bolts tightened up? are the wheels torqued down? best bet is to tear back into it.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
ecchristian

Post by ecchristian »

I didn’t use a torque wrench just kinda tightened things are much as I could with my socket so maybe that’s an issue? I’m definitely going to open it back up this weekend and just reassemble. I know I got some grease on the rotor and there was a lot of leaves and dirt in the driveway so maybe somehow that’s causing it? I feel like I don’t have the brake pad brackets in all the way or something is loose and clipping the wheel each rotation.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I didn’t use a torque wrench just kinda tightened things are much as I could with my socket so maybe that’s an issue?
Yes, that could be.

Let me suggest watching some Youtubes on doing brake jobs preferably on Vibes and Matrix and Corolla. You will see what the sliders are and what stuff to use for lubrication.

Harbour Freight is selling very inexpensive torque wrenches. you can also get one on loan by a parts store.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I suggest, if this is your first brake job, that you get a pro to check your work. At least someone in the neighborhood who would come over for a few beers. The guy who taught me stressed the importance of getting brakes done right--If you mess up engine work, the car doesn't start. If you mess up brake work, the car doesn't stop. I'll never forget that great advice, over forty years later.
ecchristian

Post by ecchristian »

I just watched a couple videos of guys doing a brake and rotor replacement on vibes and I did everything they did except lubricating the push pin and I used a socket wrench instead of a torque wrench. I’m not sure if either of those are the thing making the noise but they could be. The noise almost sounds like a splash guard rubbing up against the tire but like I said it gets exaggerated when I turn left and it doesn’t happen if I’m pushing the brakes at all. I’m gonna go back and take off the right tire and check to make sure there’s nothing wrong in there’s
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

ecchristian wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:05 amThe noise almost sounds like a splash guard rubbing up against the tire but like I said it gets exaggerated when I turn left and it doesn’t happen if I’m pushing the brakes at all. I’m gonna go back and take off the right tire and check to make sure there’s nothing wrong in there’s.
It very well could be the wheel well liner/splash guard making the noise. The push pins that hold it up in the top are notorious for coming out and causing it to rub. I'd check those, or the one under the car that connects to the front bumper cover and that wheel well liner.

As other suggested, I'd quickly borrow a torque wrench from a parts store to torque your wheels when you're done. You don't want them flying off while you drive, or being on too tight next time you go to take it off.

When you get a chance, if you update your profile and add your general location, that'll help others in the event they can ever swing by to provide assistance if you need.

And if you're in the area, we are doing a GenVibe Meet in June in Bradford, PA. Check my signature for info.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

As other suggested, I'd quickly borrow a torque wrench from a parts store to torque your wheels when you're done. You don't want them flying off while you drive, or being on too tight next time you go to take it off.
By the way: alloy wheels must be torqued a second time after about 100 to 150 miles of driving. Steel wheels are good with one round of torquing.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

If you didn't lube the slides and pins with brake lubricant (just buy the large tube. It'll last for 30 years), the pads will have a hard time moving away from the rotor - I'd look at that first. It'll also let you look at everything else as you disassemble the brakes for cleaning and lubing.

The rotor shield can be bent by accident sometimes.

I wouldn't worry excessively about the torque. I've been doing brakes for (crap, it's really been thirty years?) and 'just past snug' generally locks everything up adequately on disc brakes. Drum brakes are more picky, but even there, I've mostly just used 'snug' and for the critical pieces, a beam torque wrench.

That said, I have _two_ click torque wrenches - one 3/8", the other 1/2". Harbor freight's torque wrenches go on sale regularly, and they're perfectly adequate for a shade tree mechanic - so there's no excuse for not using them, especially if you're not a frequent flyer at the parts counter :)