Strut question

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
TownDrunk

Strut question

Post by TownDrunk »

Hey folks,Well, I'm pretty sure it's time for some new struts. My ride is now filled with bumps and vibrations. I have an 08 Vibe with close to 90k miles on it. Looks like I'm going to be going with the Monroe SensaTrac struts, as I can't seem to find any KYB's that fit my car at an affordable price. I researched Stagg struts, but the reviews on them are awful. My plan is to purchase the strut assembly's, and then take them in to my local mechanic who doesn't charge much for labor. My question is, do I need to purchase anything else with the strut assembly's in order for my new struts to be installed? I've noticed that there are strut mounts you can purchase, but they're nearly as expensive as the struts and I'm on a budget. Sorry for the novice question, I'm not that mechanically inclined!Thanks guys!
vibedrivermatt

Re: Strut question (TownDrunk)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Hello!, I think the monroe struts are good. If you can it's probably a good idea to replace the mounts at 90k miles. I've thought to remember other people saying this is good to do if your replacing struts and are 100k miles or higher. It's only the front mounts that are really expensive. The rear mounts just consitst of a rubber bushing and a metal plate. The front mounts would be more important. The other parts you could replace would be the bellows and bumpers. you may not need these if your orignals are fine. Theres also a part that only goes to the front struts called a dust seal. It may be a small insiginficant part but they can be acquired for about $4 a piece. the dust seal can be found at some toyota parts sites. rockauto is a good place to check out bellows and bumpers as well as front and mounts or you can find a local parts store to get this stuff you can bypass the shipping costs. Id say the most important parts are new top nuts all around. Most new struts will come with these but if not you'll need to get new ones. Goodluck!
TownDrunk

Post by TownDrunk »

Hey Matt. Thanks so much for the response, it was very informative. One other quick question. Do I need to get a mount that is specific to the strut I am purchasing or will any mount work? I've noticed that the Monroe mounts are more expensive than some of the other brands. Thanks!
TONY TAT2

Re: (TownDrunk)

Post by TONY TAT2 »

I put monroe's on my old 97 Achieva & the 93 Grand Am,"""Yes chance the top bushing plates""" along with the strut.You will also need a front end alignment done. If the tie rods have play,change them also as it will save you another alignment charge further down the road.Dont use a tie rod fork,use a clamp,it wont destroy the rubber boot if the rods are still good.
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Quote, originally posted by TownDrunk »Hey Matt. Thanks so much for the response, it was very informative. One other quick question. Do I need to get a mount that is specific to the strut I am purchasing or will any mount work? I've noticed that the Monroe mounts are more expensive than some of the other brands. Thanks!I would think as long as you bought a mount thats specifically made for the vibe it would match the monroe strut for the vibe. I have never replaced mounts myself though so you may wanna ask the strut maker or parts store people if in doubt. Maybe some genvibe people who have replaced mounts will have an answer and will chime in on that.
TONY TAT2

Re: (TONY TAT2)

Post by TONY TAT2 »

4GOT,I did the struts on my old 79 Ford Fairmount Wagon , used Monroes on that also.some videos that may help yahttp://www.ehow.com/video_2327....html
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
ParknVibe

Re: Strut question (TownDrunk)

Post by ParknVibe »

I have mentioned it a few times before... in that the best Monroe struts for the Vibe is the OESpectrum Struts. Monroe does not list a SenaTrac struts for the Vibe anymore. I feel OESpectrum will be a much better strut and shock. And, it will give you a better ride quality.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I need to replace my rear struts. I utilized the magical power of Google to see what parts would also need to replaced, but I want to make sure that I've got everything.So far:http://catalog.monroe.com/cata...CTIVEh ... ...CTIVEIs there anything I'm missing? Is there anything else around there that should be replaced at the same time?
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
TownDrunk

Post by TownDrunk »

Hey guys. Well, I put the new struts on and the car handles like a dream. However, I've now ran into a problem. I used the original dust boots, and now they've completely fallen off. So now I'm left with a dilemma. Do I take them a part again and put on new dust boots, or do I continue to drive it without the dust boots on?How important exactly are the dust boots? The rubber was completely torn a part a week after putting on the new struts.Thanks in advance for your replies.
schnurmac

Post by schnurmac »

I'll just say this. Dirt dust and water are your enemy. Thats why they are called dust boots. They are not for looks. Dirt will ruin the piston over time. Kind of like sanding it and pitting it. There is a reason why the rod is shinny.
Wife's 2003 Pontiac VibeJVC KD HDR1Polk mids and tweets.Kicker 350w Mono amp.10" Infinity Sub.
TownDrunk

Re: Strut question

Post by TownDrunk »

Here's an update. I started to get a popping noise from my front end last week, whenever I make a sharp turn. I took the car in today and they told me that the front struts have collapsed. I just put them on in February! Unbelievable. They had to put the car up on the rack to get the struts to drop. They're recommending that I replace the struts, but is that necessary if they were able to get them to drop?
TownDrunk

Post by TownDrunk »

By the way, the popping noise has stopped since they did whatever they did. The car also rides fine. This is the first time I've ever heard of a strut collapse, yet they were able to get them to "drop." So I'm not sure if I should replace them out again, like they recommend, or if the dealer is just trying to get some cash out of me.
trb

Post by trb »

The struts should have a warranty, right? I had some Monroe struts go bad on my Mustang years ago. The shop that put them in swapped them out and all I had to pay for was the labor. They got the replacement struts for free. Luckily I had a lifetime alignment so they didn't try to get me for that too.

If they act up again, then I would start thinking about replacing them.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
TownDrunk

Post by TownDrunk »

My question is can a strut collapse and then later be "dropped down," and test to be ok? That's what the tech put on my invoice. Front strut collapse while testing the front end. Had to rack to drop struts. Tested front suspension again. OK.

The guy in the front was the one who added the recommendation to replace front struts. So I'm a bit confused on the matter.
CharlesinGA

Post by CharlesinGA »

If you are saying that the strut stayed stuck in the compressed condition and would not extend even with the car on the lift (wheels hanging free) and then they were able to get them to extend, then you have something bad wrong with the struts, as the coil spring should have caused it to fully extend.

Charles