Time to paint the brake calipers

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
lovemyraffe

Time to paint the brake calipers

Post by lovemyraffe »

Now that I have some new wheels on, I'm sick of looking at the terrible color on the brake calipers and drums. I'm looking for suggestions on color for both the calipers and the drums.I've only listed what I have considered so far. Everything else on my car is Red/Black, so I was thinking to stay with that same scheme. Feel free to add your own opinions and ideas.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Sull

Re: Time to paint the brake calipers (lovemyraffe)

Post by Sull »

Black all round. As said before. who wants to advertise there drums
Tein S-Tech | Tokico HP Struts | Kyowa KR-210 18x7.5 | Kumho Ecsta Spt 225/40/18Magnaflow Cat-Back | K&N Intake | Camcon | Tint 50% Fronts 5% Rear | TWM Short Shifter
BadBrew

Re: Time to paint the brake calipers (lovemyraffe)

Post by BadBrew »

I painted both in red last month and I have the exact same lava red as you. Looks awesome I'll take some pics tomorrow during daylight to give you an idea with my cellphone. I just re-tried my old digital cam and I confirmed it was definitely useless, no more focus on it...
2005 Lava Vibe base Garage
ehoff121

Re: Time to paint the brake calipers (Sull)

Post by ehoff121 »

Quote, originally posted by Sull »Black all round.+1
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by Sull »Black all round. As said before. who wants to advertise there drums I don't really want to paint the drums red. I agree with you. I don't want to advertise that I have drums, but I'm still debating painting the calipers red.Still open for suggestions.
BadBrew

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by BadBrew »

It ain't that bad
2005 Lava Vibe base Garage
KNINE

Re: Time to paint the brake calipers (Sull)

Post by KNINE »

Quote, originally posted by Sull »Black all round. +2
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
tribalman

Re: (BadBrew)

Post by tribalman »

badbrew, that looks good! i actually like the painted drum. i voted paint them both red.
None. Vibe is gone.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

I decided to go black/black. After putting the wheels back on, you can hardly see the paint, but I feel better not showing off the awesome rust color. Again, once the weather clears up a bit, I will clean up the car and take some better pics of my recent mods.Before:After:
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

That looks good... !You should consider doing the rotors too.... I did mine last year with high temp ceramic black and I'll have to re-do them again this year, but they looked good for quite some time... BTW high temp paint isn't needed for the calipers/drums, but the rotors could get rather hot... The paint I used needed to be cured 3 times... at 300/450and 600, I used broil... lol... (this is after 95% of the volatile solvents are way gone.. )
lovemyraffe

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »That looks good... !You should consider doing the rotors too.... I did mine last year with high temp ceramic black and I'll have to re-do them again this year, but they looked good for quite some time... Thanks. I think I'm going to pass on the rotors though. The weather here has been great in the morning, and terrible in the afternoon and it looks to have the same pattern over the next week or so. I really want some good weather so I can go get some new pics.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Yeah, i'm (removed) and it's my "show" car... lol.. (I was talking about)
bodhi_tree777

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

I've thought about painting mine (black front & rear) but I'm having a hard time finding a time where I can just let it sit for 24 hours for the paint to dry. Is this absolutely necessary? Or would a good long overnight do the trick?
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by bodhi_tree777 »I've thought about painting mine (black front & rear) but I'm having a hard time finding a time where I can just let it sit for 24 hours for the paint to dry. Is this absolutely necessary? Or would a good long overnight do the trick?I left mine sitting for about 6 hours. Seemed to come out ok.
Sublimewind

Re: (bodhi_tree777)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by bodhi_tree777 »I've thought about painting mine (black front & rear) but I'm having a hard time finding a time where I can just let it sit for 24 hours for the paint to dry. Is this absolutely necessary? Or would a good long overnight do the trick?No no, I was saying that the paint I once used needed to sit 24hrs... I re-read that and I musta been drinkin a few that night, cause it's part of 304 different thoughts.. lol.. I read it over and over and i'm just like WTH was I thinking.. lol.. What I meant to say is I had a 2 part caliper paint ones I used, it was designed for high temps, I lived in VT and drove the mountains often, so that's what I used then... BUT, for the average Viber, it's not needed at all, the brakes usually won't ever get that hot for that long.. so regular paint should work just fine.. And when I did my rotors, well they can get rather hot, so I used a ceramic "header" paint that I had to cure in the oven... It would hold up to 1500* if need be.. lol.. So yeah, 3 thoughts hppening at once up there.. lol..
splice

Post by splice »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »BTW high temp paint isn't needed for the calipers/drums, but the rotors could get rather hot... After driving on a hot summer day I measured the temps of my car with one of those wireless thermometers. The brakes were hotter than parts of the engine, I guess a rule of thumb would be use high temp paint if you have the money and you're going to stick it.
Amtron

Post by Amtron »

What brand of paint did you use?
lovemyraffe

Re: (Amtron)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by Amtron »What brand of paint did you use?I used Rust-oleum high temp. Nothing too exciting. That's as good as it gets in a small town.
high revin

Post by high revin »

Painted mine black and painted lettering on them smoothed them up first.