KYB or Ksport coilovers

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Jtmartin1988

KYB or Ksport coilovers

Post by Jtmartin1988 »

I recently purchased a ‘04 GT and want to replace the suspension as it has around 180,000 miles. Purchased new tires, new clutch. I have several questions. Oh i do have aftermarket oversized alloy wheels. Think they are r17. I assume this would make them harder on any struts i choose. Already have a replacement power steering pump just waiting.

I can get KYB fronts from rock auto for ~220 and i have spring compressors to do the rears.
I have used Monroe’s quickshocks on another car and know they would be too soft. My question is which would you choose?

1. KYB OEM 300 and overhaul the front end.
2. Ksport control coilovers (front spring rate 7, rear 6) for 900 and maybe a rear sway bar.
3. Ksport sport coilovers (front spring rate 8.7, rear 7) for 1200.

I dont know what KYB or oem spring rate is, and i never go to the track, i am considering going with the control coilovers.

I do have young boys and i think the sport coilovers would be too stiff.

Also, i like the ride height adjustments that the coilovers offer as the car does sit higher because of the oversized wheels and man does it have body roll.

Thanks.
zbyers

Re: KYB or Ksport coilovers

Post by zbyers »

KYB supplied the OEM struts, so you can't go wrong there for the closest to OEM ride.

Ksport coilovers are nice for the adjustability if needed.

A rear sway bar (Progress still makes them for the Vibe) would also help.

The Vibes can with 16 or 17 inch rims for 2003-2008. 09+ came with 16, 17, or 18 I believe. The Everything You Need to Know in my signature has a lot of the info on this.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
CraftsmanQuad19

Post by CraftsmanQuad19 »

Does BC racing make a coil for the vibe? The BC coils I’ve seen all have adjustable dampening rates so you can tune it for whatever ride you want, in addition to the usual height adjustment given with coils. Wheel size doesn’t necessarily contribute to worn suspension components, or the ride quality. It has everything to do with the sidewall size
“I don’t do nothing well.” -Keith
jolt

Post by jolt »

If it was me, I would replace the struts and shocks with KYB assembled units and rebuild the suspension to tighten it up like new. New rubber bushings and lower ball joints. You will see a big difference afterwards since your car has 180,000 miles on it. If it still rolls over more then you like after the repairs, then install the rear sway bar that zbyers pointed you to.

To spend all the money on coilovers and not replace the rest of the suspension parts is kind of a waste. A chain is only as good as it's weakest link, and you have many suspension links that have 180,000 miles on them. ;)
Jtmartin1988

Post by Jtmartin1988 »

Jolt- thanks for the good word