Towing car from Boston to LA

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
jmvvibeowner

Towing car from Boston to LA

Post by jmvvibeowner »

Hello. I'm planning on moving from Boston to Los Angeles soon and a mechanic I talked to told me that if I tow my car on a tow dolly behind our moving truck it will cause some suspension issues on the car. He didn't go into detail but he suggested shipping my car or putting it on a vehicle trailer and towing it. Well I don't have the money to ship it and not sure I want to have that much behind me towing.

Does anyone know if towing my car on the dolly will cause problems for my car? It is a kia forte. Any good feedback you can give me will be appreciated. I'm moving in a couple of weeks and don't want to get to LA and find out I've got car problems and a big bill to fix them. I'll be driving 8 hrs a day and stopping to sleep every night. Has anyone done a move like this where they towed their car (two wheels, not four on the road) ?
SlammedNiss

Re: Towing car from Boston to LA

Post by SlammedNiss »

Im no expert by any means, so take this with a grain of salt. But how is towing a car on a dolly any different than driving down the road on it's own? Yea, you're slightly shifting the weight of the car towards the back, but only slightly. So I couldn't imagine that harming anything suspension wise.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
jmvvibeowner

Post by jmvvibeowner »

Well, I know I was thinking the same thing. Not sure if he thinks I'll be driving over all kinds of potholes or bad roads. I'm going to ask for a better explanation of what he said.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

RVers do this a lot. I looked at some RV forums and the only drawback I saw mentioned is very slight nonuniform wear on tires. Nothing about suspension risk.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

You'll be fine to using a car dolly, if the car is FWD, to tow it cross country. We have towed many vehicles either on a dolly or on all four wheels (drive shaft removed if RWD or in neutral if standard). If it's AWD, you definitely want it on a car hauler.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
jmvvibeowner

Post by jmvvibeowner »

ok, Thank you all for your input. I didn't think that sounded right.