Wrong Way Driver Takes my Cousin

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
Whelan

Wrong Way Driver Takes my Cousin

Post by Whelan »

Just be cautious, never know who your sharing the road with.
http://naugatuck.patch.com/articles/bea ... d-on-crash
A 24-year-old Beacon Falls man who was involved in a car accident on Route 8 in Naugatuck Saturday night has died.

William J. Baer Jr. was pronounced dead Sunday at Waterbury Hospital, according to the hospital’s nursing supervisor.

Baer was the driver of a car that was traveling in the southbound lane of Route 8 just north of Exit 27 in Naugatuck when it was struck head-on by a van. Police said the van’s driver, 35-year-old Edmundo Mendieta of New Haven, was driving the wrong way on the highway – he was headed northbound in the southbound lane.

Baer’s lone passenger, 22-year-old Sara Chmielewski of Stratford, was listed in critical condition at Waterbury Hospital as of Sunday afternoon.

Mendieta was taken to Saint Mary’s Hospital in Waterbury and was listed in stable condition as of Sunday afternoon, according to nursing supervisor at that hospital.

Mendieta was operating a white 2003 Chevrolet van when it collided at 10 p.m. with a blue 2008 Honda Accord that Baer was driving.

A preliminary state police report did not indicate whether any of the three were wearing seatbelts.

No charges had been filed as of Sunday as the accident remains under investigation. A state police accident reconstruction team is expected to fully examine the details of the incident.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Farmington will conduct an autopsy on Baer either Monday or Tuesday.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
mkowdley
Site Admin

Re: Wrong Way Driver Takes my Cousin

Post by mkowdley »

photos can only be described as horrific; sorry for your loss.
trb

Post by trb »

That is just tragic. I do feel for your loss. We had a good friend die in a similar accident several years ago; her husband was in a car next to her and saw the whole thing. I wish we could put the drive in theater style spike strips on all exit ramps to cut the tires of all wrong way drivers or something.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Another unnecessary loss of life :cry: This type of incident has happened way too often in my neck of the woods. Just last month a car full of BGSU female students were happily on their way to Detroit metro airport for a spring break trip. They NEVER made it and three of the four young ladies were killed instantly from a wrong way driver on I-75 :evil: Then a couple weeks later on the same road, I-75, a female driver was going the wrong way BUT was caught and had the nerve to plead "no contest" when she was obviously guilty of driving the wrong way. Also a few years ago, some drunk man was traveling northbound on I-280 in the southbound lanes and took out a complete family of FIVE just before the Michigan state line. Will this ever end? Unfortunately NO. :x
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Sorry for you loss Adam :cry:
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
kostby

Post by kostby »

So sorry for your loss of your cousin.

Vehicles with greater mass always have an advantage versus those with less mass, regardless of safety features.
Those laws of physics can't be repealed.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
crazytrain

Post by crazytrain »

Oh my. So sorry. My condolences to you and your family.
2006 Stealth Vibe <-- Current
2010 Subaru Forester <-- Wife's Current
I miss my 1992 Saturn SC2 - drove it for 12 years
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

(removed) Adam, that is horrible.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Terribly sorry about your loss. Simply tragic. That crash is just... outlandish.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Absolutely terrible -- I'm sorry for your loss. :(
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Truely Sad! God Bless your family.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

So sad. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Adam.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
86foxgt

Post by 86foxgt »

I am very sorry for your loss..
Daily-2003 Vibe Gt - Injen CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Tein lowering springs, Stage 2 Spec Clutch
Garage Queen- 1986 Mustang Gt - Turboed 5.0L
2003 Modded Honda Ruckus (was stolen) http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 96&t=58310
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I am very sorry for your loss. I'm going to stick my neck out here - risking being accused of prejudice etc. - but here in Ohio I have seen a lot of problems of this sort with illegal immigrants. Some were just not familiar with our freeway system etc., others were intoxicated. The federal government does not seem too interested in directly addressing the problem. They opt to take the easy way out by pressuring anyone who happens to hire the illegals. Then the feds complain when the states try to fill the gap. This might not be the case here. Of course there are many other "wrong way" incidents with U.S. residents, drunk or sober.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

RIP

Whelan, prayers for you and your family.
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
jimincalif

Post by jimincalif »

Oh my. I am so sorry. My thoughts are prayers are with you and your family.
"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill---------------------------------Who is John Galt?2 Vibes, 03GT & 07 base (kids drive)1993 Lexus LS4001980 Fiat Spider
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

My condolences to your family
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~