Which Wireless Router

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
MotoAce51

Which Wireless Router

Post by MotoAce51 »

My router took a crap and I don't know much about them so Iam looking for someone to point me in the right direction.Things Connected to Router:Xbox 3602-3 LaptopsPrinterTVBluerayAnd who knows what else.I like the new features that allow you to hook up the external to transfer files. Right now I am looking at:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NE...08844a ... Ci...25056
2004 Vibe Base- Injen CAI, 10,000K HID's, Projector Retrofit W/ Angel Eyes, Billet Grilles, Kicker KX6.5 Components, Helix TB Spacer, Pioneer Premier HU
lovemyraffe

Re: Which Wireless Router (MotoAce51)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Cisco Lynksis
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
MotoAce51

Re: Which Wireless Router (lovemyraffe)

Post by MotoAce51 »

Why?
2004 Vibe Base- Injen CAI, 10,000K HID's, Projector Retrofit W/ Angel Eyes, Billet Grilles, Kicker KX6.5 Components, Helix TB Spacer, Pioneer Premier HU
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Cisco-Linksys are normally very solid products. Netgear and Belkin will bite you. I also would suggest Asus. I found them to be very cheap and very solid (I've reflashed a $40 router with DD-WRT and now it's a $200 Router, VPN, Firewall)
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
keithvibe

Re: (Salsa Guy)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Salsa Guy »Cisco-Linksys are normally very solid products. Netgear and Belkin will bite you. I also would suggest Asus. I found them to be very cheap and very solid (I've reflashed a $40 router with DD-WRT and now it's a $200 Router, VPN, Firewall)show off... I've run a netgear router now for over 5years and it's never failed me.Belikin... trash...
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

^^You are the few that can keep a gear going that long. When it finally dies buy a Cisco...LOL
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
psiu

Post by psiu »

Couple questions:How many of your devices are connected wirelessly vs wired?How many of the wireless devices are G vs N?How many of the wired devices are Gb capable?What is the speed you get from your ISP?How many (and what size) file transfers do you do within your network?
MotoAce51

Post by MotoAce51 »

Only wired devices are TV and Blueray. TV can be wireless but the router is sitting under it so whats the point. I know my laptop is N other than that I have no idea. I think my wifes is G. Not sure.Right now I did a speed test (7:08pm) and Down Speed is 12.96Mbps - Up speed 0.98MbpsAs for transfers, I am just trying to transfer Movies and Music without needing to plug in the laptop.
tribalman

Post by tribalman »

from your list i choose neither. linksys ones tend to be overly simple for me. i've had a few of them and they are ok for plug and go. Netgear is the same, i also work with them at work as people call in. personally, i like d-link. i have a wireless n with gigabit forced into wireless n mode only and my main server computer with ethernet set to gigabit only. i also have a 2nd router daisy chained so all the other non-wireless n devices(aka. everyone else in the family except me) can connect and for all the other non-gigabit devices to connect to.i would recommend getting a dual band wireless n router with gigabit. will allow any wireless n devices to connect at those speeds and the xbox and any others to use wireless g. also, gigabit for file transfers to/from a network attached hdd is a MUST.
None. Vibe is gone.
tribalman

Re: Which Wireless Router (tribalman)

Post by tribalman »

also, avoid anything with "gaming" in the name. they claim to have advanced QOS (quality of service) to make sure you are getting the fastest speeds possible, but they tend to work like crap, require a TON of packet forwarding, and are overpriced.here is one of this site's multi router reviews/tests: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardwa...est/1 or if you have an old computer you were thinking of throwing away: http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2...ter/1
None. Vibe is gone.
keithvibe

Re: Which Wireless Router (tribalman)

Post by keithvibe »

^^ those posts are from 2007 and 2008... there has to be some newer reviews.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

You are getting and will get opinions on what is best. You need to decide but consider that a wired hookup is the fastest way to transmit high quantities of information. Wireless is great and easy but wired is actually better. If you can transfer this huge files with a wire, you'll be better off.I have FIOS internet so I use the FIOS provided router. I also have an Apple Airport Extreme in the house as a 2nd system and I use an Apple Airport Express for sending music to my audio system wirelessly.They all of their quirks, no one item is perfect and while they excel at one task they can be a real pain in the (removed) for another!Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

My first choice would be an Apple Airport, but I have a fully functional Cisco Lynksis that has been working for years. When/if that craps out, Apple Airport will be choice.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
CoreyX64

Post by CoreyX64 »

I deal with network infrastructures and workstation connections on a daily basis whether it be at home, school, and work. While each scenario uses entirely different forms of gateways, I can expand upon the "home" section due to the fact that I seem to go through routers like toilet paper, so I've had experience with various brands. I'll briefly describe my experiences with each to help you. While you will likely get various and sometimes contradictory responses, the most important factor (above product reviews) is evaluating your needs, specifically regarding bandwidth. It sounds like multimedia is a widespread demand in your home, so I could not recommend anything lower than a wireless N router with gigabit Ethernet. This is purely for optimal performance however. Technically speaking, any router will work. But if your spending The money on a new one, you might as well make your investment worth it.Brands I've used: Zoom- only for DSL customers. Very solid and dependable router/modem combo. however, I host my own server from home, and this model would not let me forward web port 80 to the server. I had to get rid of it. Also, it hated anything apple, but I don't have anything apple but a single iPod. Not a big deal.Belkin- had a wireless N with the USB port for file storage. (discontinued model) slow USB file transfer aside, this was probably my most dependable one of all. I only ever had to reboot it maybe once or 2x over the course of several months. net was very fast, and local network sharing among workstations was flawless. This includes streaming media (WMP shared music libraries) I don't have any game consoles besides wii, but that always worked so I can't really speak of anything significant there. while i believe that belkin firmware is terrible, it's workable. get in, set things up, and your good to go. You shouldnt have to mess with it too much. Never had a single one die yet.Netgear- I have mixed feelings about these, and it is model dependent. I have personally used a netgear DGN3500 and DGN3300. (both DSL specific) while netgear's firmware is feature rich, my experiences prove it to be unstable. however, this is not the case with older models. the non-DSL sibling, WNR3400 is generally stable and sustains a very fast connection. It all depends on your bandwidth consumption and how much network traffic it is controlling at any given point. (for example, I managed to brick the DGN3500 simply by downloading massive software images (8GB+) consistently over a 36 hour period; rare, unlikely situation)Encore- off brand, basic network devices. They are cheap (picked it up at newegg for 24 bucks) but so far communication-wise I have had no problems at all with it.D-link- worst possible firmware to work with. Not user friendly. Network performance is good says people I have set these up for. Cannot speak from personal experience besides the bad firmware interfaces.like someone before said, try not to buy into all of that gaming Mumbo jumbo. Quality of service (QoS) is QoS- no catch phrase will change that from router to router. Since multimedia and file transfer seems to be a central part of your network, make sure whatever router you decide to get (in store or online) supports at least N300 (wireless N @ 300mbps) and gigabit Ethernet. Wire up as much as you possibly can, and with cat5E or Cat6. (not cat5) These cable types are capable of gigabit speeds (1GBps or sometimes referred to as 10/100/1000) which will dramatically improve media performance across any network. Assuming most of this equipment is relatively new, they should already be equipped with gigabit Ethernet controllers, so speed should be no problem at all.My 2cCheers,-Corey-
~Corey~
jimincalif

Post by jimincalif »

I replaced our failing and aggravating Netgear with a Linksys E1200 a few months ago and have been very pleased. It just works, day in and day out. And it has great coverage throughout the house. Over Thxgiving with all the kids and relatives here I counted 4 laptops, 2 iPods, 1 Kindle, 4 smartphones, 1 iPad, 1 Android tablet and one Wii all connected to it at once. No issues.
"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill---------------------------------Who is John Galt?2 Vibes, 03GT & 07 base (kids drive)1993 Lexus LS4001980 Fiat Spider
psiu

Post by psiu »

Sounds like an N dual band wireless router would be the best for you right now.That being said...I run an older wireless-G Linksys WRT54GL but it only services 2 laptops and a phone. Everything else is on a Gb wired network. Nice to watch things transfer at 30-50 MB/s.
jake75

Re: (psiu)

Post by jake75 »

Staples here has the Cisco Valetplus router on closeout for $49. The USB stick to use for a computer without a wireless card was $10.Might be available on-line from Staples or others.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
DeClerq

Re: (jake75)

Post by DeClerq »

I use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Medialin...r=8-1 I've got a PS3, Wii, Directv DVR and TV all running wirelessly off it. Works like a charm.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring'04 Vibe - M&T, Power Package, Protection Package