getting rid of groundhog (residential area)

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
PopeyeFAFL

getting rid of groundhog (residential area)

Post by PopeyeFAFL »

Does anyone know how to get rid of a groundhog which is drilling hole in my back yard (maybe also hiding under the yard shed).Since this is residential area, please don't give me the typical: "shot the *******" response.Also a trap will probably kill all the neighbor's cats before the groundhog.Thanks in advance.
keithvibe

Re: getting rid of groundhog (PopeyeFAFL)

Post by keithvibe »

get a large double door... I use the same one to catch rabbits and squerls around my house.http://www.havahart.com/store/.../1050You can find them cheaper than from the manufactor though. don't pay 80bucks... i think i got mine for 40... It don't kill the animal... it's a live trap. so if you do catch the cat... you could set it free ORRRRRRRRR take it for a road trip and set it free HAHAHA
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Raven

Re: getting rid of groundhog (keithvibe)

Post by Raven »

Bait the trap with a large poutine.
Herb

Post by Herb »

If killing is what you want to do, check out the Rodenator Prohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2umEFHeo6mwhttp ... rodenator/
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
joholste

Re: getting rid of groundhog (Herb)

Post by joholste »

is that thing for real?? I think it looks cool
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
808 Vibes

Re: getting rid of groundhog (joholste)

Post by 808 Vibes »

My dogs said they'd be on the next flight over. "The only good vermint is...dead vermint"-Carl the Groundskeeper
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
Herb

Re: getting rid of groundhog (joholste)

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by joholste »is that thing for real?? I think it looks coolYeah, it's real, looks like alot of fun to use, but it's expensive
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
Renthorin

Post by Renthorin »

I have a problem with ground squirrels digging holes where I train my dogs. Can't have a dog stepping in while running and snapping a leg....so...I shoot them when I see them with subsonic rounds. Yes, you can't do this so here is the other thing I do:There is a product that you light and drop into the hole. It fills the tunnels and burrow with gas and they die. http://www.biconet.com/critter....htmlThere are several different brands on the market. Just don't use them under your house as the stink might seep inside.
Sputnik

Re: getting rid of groundhog (Raven)

Post by Sputnik »

Quote, originally posted by Raven »Bait the trap with a large poutine. LOL... but I doubt you'd get groundhogs - you'd end up with hungry people eating that! Speaking of which, I haven't had a poutine in a looong time... I could go for one right about now.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
PopeyeFAFL

Re: getting rid of groundhog (Raven)

Post by PopeyeFAFL »

Quote, originally posted by Raven »Bait the trap with a large poutine. I want to catch it, not KILL it, LOLJe veux l'attrapé, pas lui faire subir une mort atroce, LOL
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Yes I agree with you, catch and release!!!! They are just doing or being hogs, no reason to put lead in it. I caught two at my house before using a trap similar to the one above. My neighbor also has two cats and both did not get caught. Although catching one of those would be nice since I HATE people with out door cats! Cats belong inside and once they are out, they become everyone else's cat! Very rude! Our cats stays indoors...Anyway, back to the trap. I caught the first one within minutes of putting it out. The trap paid for itself but I think my city does not want people doing their own trapping. I am not sure if my city catches and releases but I took the chance and drove the little guys to a well wooded area and released both.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

I remember seeing a while back tha t out in Easter Colorado this guy had a converted Sewer Vaccum truck to safelly and humanely suck the praire-dogs right out of the ground and into the containment bin to be hauled of to somplace else.
PopeyeFAFL

Re: getting rid of groundhog (ToolGuy)

Post by PopeyeFAFL »

To ToolguyThanks for the info.Once caught, do they make a big mess in the cage ("Pee" Scent, etc.) during the short trip to the wooded area, any precaution to take (cover the cage with a blanket?, drive with window open?). What do you used for bait?I also have an indoor only cat, but I sometime give food to one of my neighbor cat and I see always the same 4 or 5 cats around.I will see if my city, take care of this, otherwise a cage might be useful (might be used, more than once anyway).Some sites that I visited mentioned to avoid putting your scent to the cage by wearing latex glove and even suggest to have the cage in an unlock position for a day or two and then activate the mechanism (I don't really see the point, once it is caught, it is caught).
PopeyeFAFL

Post by PopeyeFAFL »

Quote, originally posted by ToolGuy »Yes I agree with you, catch and release!!!! They are just doing or being hogs, no reason to put led in it.Actually, putting "LED" in it, could be useful, I will see it in the dark, LOLOk, ok, I should not quit my day job to became a stand-up comic, I got it.
Herb

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by PopeyeFAFL »To ToolguySome sites that I visited mentioned to avoid putting your scent to the cage by wearing latex glove and even suggest to have the cage in an unlock position for a day or two and then activate the mechanism (I don't really see the point, once it is caught, it is caught).This proceedure is known as 'prebaiting'Sometimes when an established animal is in your area, it may become suspicious of anything new. If it finds it can get a free meal it will return. So the idea in this instance is to place your bait near the trap to see if it will go for it. Then put the bait in the trap and bang you got it.You might want to check with local authorities regarding re-locating the animal. You might be introducing it to an area that never had them and cause a new problem altogether.The trap above is large enough to catch a raccoon, just to give you a perspective. You can get smaller ones that only have an opening on one end and should be fine for squirrels, ground hogs etc. If you get one that's too big, they might be able to get between the wires and escape.
PopeyeFAFL

Re: getting rid of groundhog (Herb)

Post by PopeyeFAFL »

Quote, originally posted by Herb »This proceedure is known as 'prebaiting'Sometimes when an established animal is in your area, it may become suspicious of anything new. If it finds it can get a free meal it will return. So the idea in this instance is to place your bait near the trap to see if it will go for it. Then put the bait in the trap and bang you got it.You might want to check with local authorities regarding re-locating the animal. You might be introducing it to an area that never had them and cause a new problem altogether.Ok, I got it now, slowly attract it within the cage.In my case, I will release it in an area, where I saw plenty while doing cycling (noticed it more, near road boarder).Someone mentioned (in another forum, not here), that groundhog will urinate a lot (distance spray?, scent? in a wire cage), I don't know if it is true and what kind of precaution should I take for not ruining my Vibe baggage compartment, even for a short 15 - 20 minutes ride.
sloth

Post by sloth »

It's a rodent, get rid of it so it's not bothering anybody else. Residential area, I'd get/borrow a nice air rifle to get rid of it.
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

My German Shepherd has taken care of two groundhogs on my property. You know how well the Germans and French get along.Doesn't your city have animal control? They should be able to put out a live trap for nothing.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

A nice pelet gun works great in residential areas, much like Renthorin mentioned.. But he's prolly using ,22 shorts..lol..
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

I wish I could help you with that. Here the groundhogs are a "protected" species. It is illegal to kill them or trap them. They have overtaken the local golf course.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Mavrik

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by Mavrik »

I used to flood them out and stand behind the hole with a 2x4...
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
sloth

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by sloth »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe »I wish I could help you with that. Here the groundhogs are a "protected" species. It is illegal to kill them or trap them. They have overtaken the local golf course.This probably won't go over well, but here the ranchers use the triple S rule. Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up.
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

I am the worst speller! Yes an LED would be great to catch it at night!For the hogs, both of mine were very tame and neither get angry or deficated in the car. In fact the one did not want to leave when I opened the cage. When I caught them I put them in the back of the Vibe with a tarp under and over the cage. I literally had to drive them 1/4 mile so the ride did not take long at all.I baited the cage with vegetables since that is what they eat. Cats should not mess with that type of food, but if they do just release the cat of course.For all that are talking about shooting it, in my neighborhood you cannot discharge a firearm so that is not an option. The hogs live outside, we do not but we are talking over all the land and room is running out for them to live off of. I do not know my cities policy if they catch and release but I did not want to see them get destroyed so I took care of it myself... Not sure if the city charges either.
PopeyeFAFL

Re: (K-NINE)

Post by PopeyeFAFL »

Quote, originally posted by K-NINE »My German Shepherd has taken care of two groundhogs on my property. You know how well the Germans and French get along.Doesn't your city have animal control? They should be able to put out a live trap for nothing.Not sure I understand what the French has to do in your German Shepherd joke?Now, I'm told by other living near my place (but not the same small city) that city hall let you borrow a cage and take it back after you catch it (I have to see if ti is true, it will be easier, I will also ask what to they do with the animal? (kill or release it elsewhere).
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

i could always rent you my two dogs... their count right now this summer is 1 bunny and 4 birds... lol would have been 2bunnys but my one dog scared it away while my other one was in stalk mode lol
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
02csnow

Re: (Mavrik)

Post by 02csnow »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »I used to flood them out and stand behind the hole with a 2x4...Ahahahahahahaha I could just picture that in my head.
Bye Bye Vibe.............
KNINE

Re: (02csnow)

Post by KNINE »

It's a good thing PETA doesn't monitor this page.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
Renthorin

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by Renthorin »

22 long actually ;-)I would use .357 mag but it echoes too much.
Sublimewind

Re: (Renthorin)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Renthorin »22 long actually ;-)I would use .357 mag but it echoes too much.I knew it was one or the other...lol... yeah, the 357 makes an awefull mess to... Ever had your hands on a .17 HMR varment rifle? My dad has one and WOW is all I can say... My older brother sunk 2 muskrats at 150-200yd WHILE SWIMMING...lol.. We were just messin with it, shooting a chunk of pressure treated 4x4.. a 22LR makes it in about 1.5", while the 17 blazes right through it...
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Speak of the devil, I got two of them at my house now! Two little guys started to come two weeks ago!Going to set my trap now, will take pic when I catch the first one, stay tuned!
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Here is the first hog, one more to go! Got to release this little guy first though.

Attached files
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

Awwwwww....he's getting meals while in confinement LOL
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
ToolGuy

Re: getting rid of groundhog (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by ToolGuy »

He actually stopped eating once the door closed! LOL!!! And then it was either cute or sad, however you want to look at it but the second hog was right next to the cage looking at the trapped one. Almost as if "hey buddy I would help you if I could".The first one also pooped in the Vibe but I had a tarp down under the cage as I always do so that trapped the poop! Scared the poop right out of him! When I got back from releasing the first my wife pulls up and we see the second hog peek at us from on top our garage roof and then scurry to the other side and down the deck fencing! I was like that is the first time I have seen one climb that high.The trap is baited right now for the second but something tells me this one may take more time to catch as he has approached the trap carefully two times already.
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

Quote, originally posted by ToolGuy »When I got back from releasing the first my wife pulls up and we see the second hog peek at us from on top our garage roof and then scurry to the other side and down the deck fencing! I was like that is the first time I have seen one climb that high.You know what that was, don't you? They had a party in your house while you were out. The guy on the roof was Da Lookout. Squeak once if the Vibe comes back, Squeak twice if it's the cops.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
bull77

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by HawaiiPontiacLover »You know what that was, don't you? They had a party in your house while you were out. The guy on the roof was Da Lookout. Squeak once if the Vibe comes back, Squeak twice if it's the cops. lol --- I didn't think they were so agile
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Well apparently these two hogs were quite the hell raisers! Both were climbing the wooden lattice work on my deck to get to the hanging baskets to eat the flowers! Crazy kids!When I saw them do that I said time to get the traps out!Plus both of them came to the screen door and one pawed at the screen because they could smell the bags of peanuts my wife uses to hand feed the squirrels.Never did catch the other hog yesterday but a squirrel got in and the trap closed of course! He was only in there seconds as I heard it close and ran out to let him out. Scared the poop out of him too!
Renthorin

Post by Renthorin »

My wife told me the other day...."well...we HAD a ground hog in the back looking like he wanted to move in under the deck..."It seems our groundhog deterrent got him before he finished digging.....

Attached files
ToolGuy

Re: getting rid of groundhog (Renthorin)

Post by ToolGuy »

Yep that would do it alright!In my case I caught the other hog last night and released him at the same spot as the first hog. That makes 5 hogs in the 6 years I have lived in my home! So, until the next...
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

So I get home from work today and my wife happened to me home before me. She says guess what I saw today? I said what? Two Groundhogs run across our deck right before you got home! I said what? How could it be? She said yeah and they made a noise as they ran by almost as they were laughing at me! So looks like the trap goes back out and I doubt it was two different as I peeked out our bedroom window and saw one, looked just like to two I trapped. Same size.
Renthorin

Post by Renthorin »

when you catch them use a can of spray paint and run a line down their back or something. That way you will know for certain next time you see one.Plus, the other hogs will make so much fun of the striped ones they will run away to avoid the shame.
ToolGuy

Re: (Renthorin)

Post by ToolGuy »

Yeah that is not a bad idea! Well I caught the one that was still around last night. This time when I let him go I took him over the river and through the woods kind of thing to release him. I saw a Heron in a stream too and thought who would not like to live here, all these woods, plants, a stream, no cars or people... Hope he does not come back as these little guys have some kind of awesome GPS Navigation system. My wife jokingly said should we make a few extra turns to throw him off before we let him go?
michaelgt

Re: (ToolGuy)

Post by michaelgt »

Did you dump them near me? One has dug out the sand next to my house in two different places. Made a huge mess in the flower beds. I flooded the holes, but nothing came out. I set out my live trap, and whatever triggered the trap was able to get out (I think the trap is too small for groundhog, and probably did not drop far enough to catch on the latch to keep it from being pushed up.)So. I may need to resort to another method.
ToolGuy

Re: (michaelgt)

Post by ToolGuy »

They are everywhere!
michaelgt

Post by michaelgt »

I was trying to get my daughter to stay out late with her bow and arrow and pay a bounty. I figure they would be good practice for the state shoot this weekend. However, she said that it would have to have a target on it for her to shoot at. Therefore, if you get anymore in your cage, could you paint a target on them?Thanks
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Just a FYI, live trapping a skunk is BAD BAD news.... trust me on this one...
ToolGuy

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by ToolGuy »

Yeah I cannot imagine a skunk or a Raccoon my my trap. If not the stink, the (removed) would be so crazy I am sure. Than again my wife was at the local feed store, asked the guys about the hogs and one said we just caught a raccoon in the building here. Being an animal lover she asked to see it, so they take her out to a pickup truck and the Raccoon was just sleeping in the trap! The guy was going to release it on his way home but I though that thing would have been a spaz in the cage!
redlava

Post by redlava »

20 gallons of diesel fuel and a match should do the trick. If you were in the country I would suggest finding a friendly farmer with a few pounds of anhydrous ammonia to spray down a few of his holes.