Is there a step by step for adjusting valve clearances

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
radioarno

Is there a step by step for adjusting valve clearances

Post by radioarno »

04 vibe, new to me. I have a check engine light that hopefully will be fixed by me replacing the fuel filler neck and the purge valve solenoid on the canister. But I want to do my valves, and wonder why I'm not finding any discussions on here about doing the valves. Its a first gen so the valves need adjusting. I need to know specs and at least a good diagram of where the intake and exhaust valves are and how to open up the top to get to them, etc.
joatmon

Re: Is there a step by step for adjusting valve clearances

Post by joatmon »

One thread about it from a while ago is viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6478 be sure to check out Derf's excellent video on page 2 of that thread

It's a lot easier to check the valve clearances than it is to adjust them. Adjusting requires installing shims, which you have to measure the clearances first in order to know what thickness shims you might need to order. Assuming your 04 is a base, and not a GT, I attached the section from the toyota matrix manual on valve clearance adjustment
Attachments
a040001.pdf
1ZZ valve clearance adjustment
(362.78 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I honestly don't know of many who have adjusted them. Most leave well enough alone if the vehicle is in good working order.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Hmmmm .... just looked over the PDF document showing the lifter adjustment and I would highly recommend NOT doing it at all! As an average backyard mechanic, I wouldn't even attempt this unless the engine was already tore apart. You're asking for trouble. I would suggest a simple test that could determine if the valve clearances are indeed "way off". Perform a simple compression check and if all cylinders look close to normal, then your valves should still be within specs, or close enough to where it is letting in/out enough air. Are you experiencing engine issues with air starvation or suffocation? What leads you to believe that the valve clearances are off?
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I concur. I have been told by numerous mechanics that our VVTi valves are NOT adjustable.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I once had a Honda engine where valve check and adjustment was important, but never on a Toyota engine.

By the way, based on my experience with Honda, if the engine loses compression, it's too late. An experienced mechanic with a good ear can listen to the valve train and get some warning.
radioarno

Post by radioarno »

thanks everyone. I used to do the valves on my honda fit, and made it sing like a fiddle. But if the vibe valves are not adjustable, I'll just leave well enough alone.