P0171 code

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
BlueVibe05

P0171 code

Post by BlueVibe05 »

P0171 code was fixed by removing and basic cleaning of fuel injectors. However it took several months and other 'remedies' to finally bring me to discover my 'fix' of the P0171 code on my 2005 Pontiac Vibe - base, 192,000 miles. These other 'remedies' may have helped in fixing the p0171 code but cleaning the fuel injectors is what finally turned off the CEL on the dash. Ten months of trying to figure out the fix and replacing MAF, Intake Manifold gasket, Throttle body screen /gasket, O2 sensor(s), replacing spark plugs, fuel pump and filter(of inside gas tank fuel assemblage) and cleaning the whole gas /fuel system with Seafoam, all may have helped the vehicle but still vehicle had problems with idle and starting problems by the ten month period. I was ready to give up when one more research of code P0171 pointed to 'fuel injectors' specifically... and not MAF or intake gasket. So I took out the injectors and discovered they were all dirty so I did a quick clean wipe of them and put them back in. After driving around the car and a few cycles of operation, the code was gone! I'm ordering some new fuel injectors ( Denso 23250-0D050) to replace the old, 190,000 miles, used ones. Hope this helps others with same problem. Good luck!
BTW- Fuel Pump (w/filter sock included in kit) # Denso 950-0202 ; Fuel Pump Regulator # Denso 23280-21010 . Parts #'s are from my original parts off my 2005 Pontiac Vibe, 1.8L, base (... which also could be the Toyota Maxrix).
zbyers

Re: P0171 code

Post by zbyers »

P0171 means you're running lean...Either too much air, or not enough fuel. The top three causes of this are the intake manifold gasket, a vacuum leak, or a slightly plugged injector. Just as an FYI it is RARELY the MAF...You'd be getting a totally different set of codes if the MAF were bad.

Glad to hear you have it fixed!
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
jolt

Re: P0171 code

Post by jolt »

I guess that should tell you how good Seafoam works at cleaning up fuel injectors. Bad and/or poor grades of gasoline that do not have injector cleaner in them will cause this to happen over time. Injectors also wear out over time too. Testing the items you replaced could have saved you some money instead of just replacing them but that's your choice. Codes give general areas that are causing a problem and never tell you what part is bad. So many people think that you just plug a reader in and it tells you what part is bad.... which is very misleading as more troubleshooting and testing is required to find which part is bad. Never as easy as people think it is and almost impossible to do if you do not have the proper testing equipment/tools. If you do not test then you are just guessing and like Clint Eastwood said.... Do you feel lucky?

At least you got it fixed, good job and way to keep at it. No body learns anything by giving up. Most people that post on forums give up and take it to a dealer after they swap out a part or two and their luck runs out.