No initial acceleration on a 2009 AWD, and high RPMs.

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Kate158

No initial acceleration on a 2009 AWD, and high RPMs.

Post by Kate158 »

So I got this car about six months ago (no maintenance info; no way to contact the original owner), and since the cold weather has started, I've been having acceleration issues.

I am not cold-starting the car. I wait at least fifteen minutes for the engine to warm up. I've cold-started it once or twice, and it did not seem to make a difference.

The problems are only initial. Usually, once I've gotten above 45 mph for a few minutes, the car's golden. If I start while going down a hill, or on a flat surface, It's good. If I brake to a stop, it will have a problem picking up speed—but only if I do it within the first mile or so of my drive. If I brake after a few miles, the car speeds right away from it.

Usually, it's not bad. It'll pick up speed if I keep on the gas, and then be good after it hits about 50 mph. Last night, however, I was starting up a long hill, and I was losing speed. I went from 20 mph to 6 mph, at 4x RPMs.

Transmission fluid is burnt and nasty. I have a filter, and we're going to change the fluid today. Fingers crossed it doesn't clog it.

The code reader says that the car has a p0420 code, and the check engine light, vsc light, and trac light are all on or flashing (as is the flat tire light?) I've read that this is most likely to be the upstream o2 sensor, but I would prefer not to buy a $50 part, and then find out I need a new catalytic converter instead. So has anyone experienced anything like this?

I am not mechanically literate, so format any answers like you're writing a "for dummies" book, please (My father'll be helping/supervising. He's pretty decent with cars, but he's not a mechanic).

Please help and thank you very much for any help you can provide.

EDT: Having now checked the transmission fluid properly (as in, according to the pontiac manual, w/gear-shifting and warm engine rather than cold) the transmission fluid is low. You can laugh; it was pretty stupid. I'll see if adding more fixes the problem.

Updates pending, because some other idiot might find himself in the same straits.
zbyers

Re: No initial acceleration on a 2009 AWD, and high RPMs.

Post by zbyers »

On the 09-10 Vibes, when one light is on-- be it the CEL, VSC, TRAC, ABS, etc. the whole darn Christmas tree lights up.

P0420 is unlikely to be the o2 sensor. The code itself tells you the o2 sensor is working, since it is reading that your converter is below efficient levels.

Usually that code would be for that catalytic converter itself. I have no idea of one that would work on a 09 Vibe or the AWD. If you have a fancy code reader ($10 bluetooth code reader, paired with $5 TorquePro android app) you can check your o2 sensors. If they make nice "waves," they are fine.

Having low fluid would cause some of the symptoms your experiencing. Hopefully replacing the fluid/filter would solve your issue.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
350kVibe

Post by 350kVibe »

I concur with Mr. Zbyers. The code would refer to the O2 sensor, and the lack of get-up-and-go means that the sensor is doing it's job and you've likely got a stuffed cat. :shock:

Same thing happened in my first TWO Pontiacs. :roll:
2009 Vibe GT
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Hopefully the low tranny fluid will fix the initial acceleration problems. When I first read your post, I thought maybe the torque converter, but after you mentioned the low fluid, I remembered having a car that behaved the same due to low fluid, so I hope that's all it takes to fix that problem. A related question is if its low, where did it go?

I think the P0420 is a separate issue. My Vibes' P0420s were from bad cats
jolt

Post by jolt »

Your tranny filter many be plugged up and restricting the flow of fluid when the fluid is cold and thick hence the high RPM and no go. Hopefully you have not damaged the transmission by trying to drive it this way. When was the last time you changed the transmission filter and fluid? It could be something else too.
Kate158

Post by Kate158 »

I update slowly, but I eventually update.

So, thanks for the help above. It was very informative and I enjoyed reading it. (Months ago....)

Transmission fluid fixed the problem. There was a very fast leak (I was losing maybe a pint every twelve hours or so) and it could not be located. (We could see splashes of fluid hitting the floor when the car moved onto and off of the wheel chocks, but we could not see any dripping when the car was still). I bought fluid and scheduled an appointment. Figured a mechanic could get under the car a little more comfortably than I can. I went through a gallon of fluid. Five days later (two days before the car was scheduled to meet the mechanic) the leak stopped, and I was left with too much fluid in the car.

I did a partial change, and left it be. The car has since *stopped* making a strange grinding noise at 35-45 mph, that it had been making since I purchased the car. If anyone can shed light on that, I'm curious.