moonroof weatherstrip replace

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
ebiv2003

moonroof weatherstrip replace

Post by ebiv2003 »

2003 vibe over 200k miles mostly stored outside. I know moonroof has drain tube system because seal concept is flawed but watching the leak rate with garden hose makes me wonder if a replacement weatherstrip might improve matters? my seal shows no damage but wonder if UV exposure over years could have compromised seal even more. Has anyone tried replacing this weatherstrip and seen any improvement with water resistance? if so is replacement simple like removing the 4 glass frame screws? or are any tricks required. I have Toyota part number 63251-02020 which looks legit. thanks for any ideas.
zbyers

Re: moonroof weatherstrip replace

Post by zbyers »

The same sunroof seal/weatherstrip is used for the 03-08 matrix. I haven't a clue how to replace the weatherstripping though.

You could try taking compressed air/air compressor, and blow it down the drains. The drains tend to get clogged, especially if you slide the roof open often.

By design, sunroof seals are water tight.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
maggarjt

Re: moonroof weatherstrip replace

Post by maggarjt »

FYI I had leaking in the A-pillars and took it to a body shop to get windshield crack fixed. They cleaned the drain tubes and it kep happening.

I opened up the sunroof and found a hole in the frame that guides the sunroof. it just isnt long enough. I used gasket maker to fill in the spot and let it dry. It isn't always the tubes.