Cabin Filter Source Update

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Water boy

Cabin Filter Source Update

Post by Water boy »

Did a quick search and didn't find anybody posting their source for the cabin filter....recently. Those I did find were no longer valid on the internet.

So, the best I could find today (P/N 800038P) was at Rockauto.
$3.62 (USD) x 4 each = 14.48 + shipping 8.87 = 23.35 (5.84ea)

I did find it for 85 cents but I would have to buy 200 of them.

On a side note, I wish there was a folder/thread that part numbers could be listed and people could post price etc.
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
ColonelPanic

Re: Cabin Filter Source Update

Post by ColonelPanic »

I've gone through many TYC 800038P's from Rock Auto - they're cheap enough that I didn't mind swapping in the spring and again in the fall. I took them up on a buy 4 get 1 free special a few years ago, not sure if they still run those.

Currently, I'm trying out a Fram Fresh Breeze CF10374. Found it for ~$15 on Amazon and it qualifies for Prime shipping. Seems to work fine. Too bad it can't help the smell of the air coming from the vents thanks to whatever is growing inside the evaporator...
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

They're only $18-20 from a store like Advance Auto Parts. Little cheaper if you order online, but the guys at the store appreciate it if you stop in and buy it like that.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

KITT222 wrote: but the guys at the store appreciate it if you stop in and buy it like that.
That's adorable, you must have friendlier people there. :D

Can't say I have had a similar experience here. Alas, my computer and mailbox give me far less grief. Human interaction, pfft - who needs it? :lol:

Image Image
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

We too have been using FRAM Fresh Breeze cabin air filters (#CF10285) for a couple years now. FRAM is always offering $3.00 off mail-in rebates on them, so I buy two of them at either Farm & Fleet or Walmart and then send in the rebates and get $6.00 back, so the filters end up being $15.00 or less a piece after the rebates. Not a big deal for something I only change every 15,000 miles (approximately a year and a half for our Vibes). I use a vaccum on them at every oil change, so they never have a chance to get too nasty.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

ColonelPanic wrote: That's adorable, you must have friendlier people there. :D
I'd say they don't get any friendlier (and knowledgeable) than Nick :D Nice sales tactic there Nick !!!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

There should be more like Nick then. ;) It's disappointing when you walk into a place and feel like you're an inconvenience to them. :cry:

Image Image
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

It's not rule one of sales, but it's up there: don't be a (word that might get censored)

It's just being nice and servicing customers in a timely manner (y'know, the job I'm paid to do) that keeps people happy and coming back.
PonchoGT

Post by PonchoGT »

I purchase mine on ebay for around $13.00. Free shipping, too.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=N ... 2749.l2658
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

vibenvy wrote:We too have been using FRAM Fresh Breeze cabin air filters (#CF10285) for a couple years now. FRAM is always offering $3.00 off mail-in rebates on them, so I buy two of them at either Farm & Fleet or Walmart and then send in the rebates and get $6.00 back, so the filters end up being $15.00 or less a piece after the rebates. Not a big deal for something I only change every 15,000 miles (approximately a year and a half for our Vibes). I use a vaccum on them at every oil change, so they never have a chance to get too nasty.
Amazon has the Frams for $12 on subscribe and save, and then the $3rebate after that
Not sure if Fram will honor the amazon receipt so we shall see. If they do, I call and complain and threaten to leave awful feedback and maybe then send me some free coupons (corporate would be diff than the rebate processor)

The oil filter and air filter are also cheap on subscribe and save and have $2 rebates
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

ColonelPanic wrote:Currently, I'm trying out a Fram Fresh Breeze CF10374. Found it for ~$15 on Amazon and it qualifies for Prime shipping. Seems to work fine. Too bad it can't help the smell of the air coming from the vents thanks to whatever is growing inside the evaporator...
You need to try an evaporator cleaner product.
You can find them online or even at the dealer. Basically a nice smelling cleaner and often a germicidal that you spray in the fresh air intake (easy access by taking out the filter and running the house through the blower housing. Some spray it in the vents to and let it sit and run down. The product eventually runs out the evaporator tube.

You could try running the vent, take out the air filter, and spray lysol in for a good while as it gets sucked in, then let it sit. It might gunk up the blower motor though if you use a lot.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Thanks! I've gone through this on 2 Vibes over the last decade and some change. I've tried all manner of household disinfectant products but never the one product specifically meant for the task. Usually I can get by with taking out the cabin filter, spraying lysol/etc into the opening and also removing the cowl trim and doing the same there has helped. And making sure to always switch off the A/C and crank the fan for a few minutes prior to arriving to my destination to help things dry out. Next time I have to do this I'll be looking for the stuff meant to clean this out.

Surprisingly I haven't had any problems since my last attempt to clean things out back in the fall. Cool that you bumped the post up as now I realize it's about time for a new filter - thanks for the reminder. ;) $12.26 now at Amazon.

Image Image
mktrat

Post by mktrat »

So I finally cleaned my cabin filter (still need to replace it). I never thought about it until recently when I found you guys!!

106k on the original filter is enough. Anyway the AC seems to be working much better now!!

And I do love me some Amazon so I'll probably order from them. Thanks again!
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I've just been buying the Fram from Amazon for a while now but decided to check what other options were out there. Found one on Amazon I haven't seen before, so I thought I'd add this one to the list:

It's $8.35 with Prime shipping (right now there is also a 20% coupon.) $6.68 for a filter with the carbon stuff is a pretty good price I'd say.

Fits perfectly and so far is working just as well as the $30 filters I used to buy (way back when there were no other options!)

Image Image
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Image  Image
Fatalmasterpiece

Post by Fatalmasterpiece »

Bought this for $8.50 (price went up to $9.32 for some reason). I'm happy with it, works fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080 ... UTF8&psc=1