Can someone confirm valve cover gasket?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Post Reply
thejas
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:44 pm

Can someone confirm valve cover gasket?

Post by thejas » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:36 am

Can I use Toyota part 11213-0D040 on my 03 vibe base? Has anyone used the valve cover gasket from Toyota on these? Anyone have the part number for toyota fipg black 103? Can I use the 2 toyota 90210-06013 grommets drive the oem Toyota gasket doesn't come with them? Any help and info appreciated. I'd like to get a digital shop manual on eBay, can anyone recommend a seller or manual type?

zbyers
Posts: 1464
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:12 pm
Location: Sheffield, Pennsylvania

Re: Can someone confirm valve cover gasket?

Post by zbyers » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:14 am

Just pick up the valve cover gasket from your local parts store. Pretty sure the Felpro version comes with the spark plug tube seal grommets. There is no magic in the Toyota version.

For the two dabs of FIPG or RTV that you need doing the valve cover gasket, I'd also say spend the $5 on a small tube at the parts store.

Manual is available for free online to look at.

https://www.madstyle1972.com/Repair/
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW Vanagon DoKa '91 Vanagon,
'04 & '06 CRV, (2) '03 Base, '04 GT, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe

thejas
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Can someone confirm valve cover gasket?

Post by thejas » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:30 am

zbyers wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:14 am
Just pick up the valve cover gasket from your local parts store. Pretty sure the Felpro version comes with the spark plug tube seal grommets. There is no magic in the Toyota version.

For the two dabs of FIPG or RTV that you need doing the valve cover gasket, I'd also say spend the $5 on a small tube at the parts store.

Manual is available for free online to look at.

https://www.madstyle1972.com/Repair/
Thanks for the response. I'm pretty sure my local mechanic (whom I trust) used a fel pro last time and about a year later, I have oil in my spark plug wells again. I read somewhere on here that felpro spark plugs gasket part tends to leak. So I'm inclined to use something different. As for the fpig, I'm thinking permatex black?

zbyers
Posts: 1464
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:12 pm
Location: Sheffield, Pennsylvania

Re: Can someone confirm valve cover gasket?

Post by zbyers » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:59 am

thejas wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:30 am
zbyers wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:14 am
Just pick up the valve cover gasket from your local parts store. Pretty sure the Felpro version comes with the spark plug tube seal grommets. There is no magic in the Toyota version.

For the two dabs of FIPG or RTV that you need doing the valve cover gasket, I'd also say spend the $5 on a small tube at the parts store.

Manual is available for free online to look at.

https://www.madstyle1972.com/Repair/
Thanks for the response. I'm pretty sure my local mechanic (whom I trust) used a fel pro last time and about a year later, I have oil in my spark plug wells again. I read somewhere on here that felpro spark plugs gasket part tends to leak. So I'm inclined to use something different. As for the fpig, I'm thinking permatex black?

if the valve cover gasket didn't come with new spark plug tube seals, then that could be way it's leaking.

Yeah, the black permatex should be the oil resistant one.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW Vanagon DoKa '91 Vanagon,
'04 & '06 CRV, (2) '03 Base, '04 GT, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe

thejas
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Can someone confirm valve cover gasket?

Post by thejas » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:36 am

zbyers wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:59 am
thejas wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:30 am
zbyers wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:14 am
Just pick up the valve cover gasket from your local parts store. Pretty sure the Felpro version comes with the spark plug tube seal grommets. There is no magic in the Toyota version.

For the two dabs of FIPG or RTV that you need doing the valve cover gasket, I'd also say spend the $5 on a small tube at the parts store.

Manual is available for free online to look at.

https://www.madstyle1972.com/Repair/
Thanks for the response. I'm pretty sure my local mechanic (whom I trust) used a fel pro last time and about a year later, I have oil in my spark plug wells again. I read somewhere on here that felpro spark plugs gasket part tends to leak. So I'm inclined to use something different. As for the fpig, I'm thinking permatex black?

if the valve cover gasket didn't come with new spark plug tube seals, then that could be way it's leaking.

Yeah, the black permatex should be the oil resistant one.
I thought the gasket was made that way to have those seals built in on the 1zz? Or are those o rings attached to the gasket not the seals you're speaking of? If it's a separate part, what's the part number?

zbyers
Posts: 1464
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:12 pm
Location: Sheffield, Pennsylvania

Re: Can someone confirm valve cover gasket?

Post by zbyers » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:40 am

thejas wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:36 am
zbyers wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:59 am
thejas wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:30 am


Thanks for the response. I'm pretty sure my local mechanic (whom I trust) used a fel pro last time and about a year later, I have oil in my spark plug wells again. I read somewhere on here that felpro spark plugs gasket part tends to leak. So I'm inclined to use something different. As for the fpig, I'm thinking permatex black?

if the valve cover gasket didn't come with new spark plug tube seals, then that could be way it's leaking.

Yeah, the black permatex should be the oil resistant one.
I thought the gasket was made that way to have those seals built in on the 1zz? Or are those o rings attached to the gasket not the seals you're speaking of? If it's a separate part, what's the part number?
I am pretty sure I have seen them come both ways. Of course, I have a multiple 1zz and 2zz vehicles, and maintain like 15 cars so I could be confused lol
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW Vanagon DoKa '91 Vanagon,
'04 & '06 CRV, (2) '03 Base, '04 GT, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe

thejas
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Can someone confirm valve cover gasket?

Post by thejas » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:07 am

zbyers wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:40 am
thejas wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:36 am
zbyers wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:59 am



if the valve cover gasket didn't come with new spark plug tube seals, then that could be way it's leaking.

Yeah, the black permatex should be the oil resistant one.
I thought the gasket was made that way to have those seals built in on the 1zz? Or are those o rings attached to the gasket not the seals you're speaking of? If it's a separate part, what's the part number?
I am pretty sure I have seen them come both ways. Of course, I have a multiple 1zz and 2zz vehicles, and maintain like 15 cars so I could be confused lol
You're right, they do come both ways. I wonder, since you maintain so many cars, have you ever used the matrix gasket on the vibe 1zz? Should be the same, right?

zbyers
Posts: 1464
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:12 pm
Location: Sheffield, Pennsylvania

Re: Can someone confirm valve cover gasket?

Post by zbyers » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:43 am

No reason for it to be any different.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW Vanagon DoKa '91 Vanagon,
'04 & '06 CRV, (2) '03 Base, '04 GT, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe

thejas
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Can someone confirm valve cover gasket?

Post by thejas » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:18 am

zbyers wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:14 am
Just pick up the valve cover gasket from your local parts store. Pretty sure the Felpro version comes with the spark plug tube seal grommets. There is no magic in the Toyota version.

For the two dabs of FIPG or RTV that you need doing the valve cover gasket, I'd also say spend the $5 on a small tube at the parts store.

Manual is available for free online to look at.

https://www.madstyle1972.com/Repair/
thanks for the link. as it turns out, i already had this on my computer. the problem is, even after searching through the index, i can't find directions on replacing the gasket. can someone tell me the section and pdf number/name?

Post Reply