some questions on trd supercharging a 04 base auto

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
ken99287

some questions on trd supercharging a 04 base auto

Post by ken99287 »

Hello people, I've been looking all through the forums and still have a few questions that I'd like to get a more definitive answer to.

I read that the manual trd ecu will work fine on an auto matrix. I also read that the vibe man/auto ecu is different... my question is, can I use a manual ecu in my auto vibe(base 04 auto)?

Also, what temp is the recommended TRD thermostat? There is a 160 and a 170. The monkey webpage says with the stock ecu, 160 could throw a check engine light for temps too low. Also, the 160 is $80 and the 170 is $30. If the 170 is ok, I'm thinking to just buy the $10 one from the parts store. Stant 1044 or something.

Also, the kit says not to use any sri or cai, will using a k&n sri with the trd ecu work? Will it help at all?

The kit also recommends spark plug upgrades. Denso or ngk plus. Is this necessary and which do you think is better?

Also what are your thoughts on installing motor mount inserts?

Does anyone have a current dose for the 2.3" pulley? I read that it doesn't increase boost, but makes boost faster. It couldn't hurt, could it?

I just bought the setup used and I'm excited and nervous about the project. It doesn't look difficult, but there are 18 pages of instruction! Is there any advice/suggestions for me before I dive into this?

Thank you all for your time and forgive me if some of this information is already scattered throughout the forums.

By the way, this is what I'm thinking.

Base 04 auto stock. Trd supercharger kit with 5th injector and trd ecu + 170° Stant thermostat + k&n sri + recommended ngk plugs. Think it will be ok?
Tight is tight, too tight is broke.
ken99287

Re: some questions on trd supercharging a 04 base auto

Post by ken99287 »

I'm preparing to install the thing tomorrow. Can anyone post a picture of what the fuel line tool looks like?

Also, if I'm using the trd ecu with no other gauges or anything, how can I tell if the trd ecu is working right? How can I be sure the 5th injector it's firing?
DiveNut

Post by DiveNut »

Will try to answer a few questions. Disclaimer - I am not a 1zz Guru LOL :D
ken99287 wrote:Hello people, I've been looking all through the forums and still have a few questions that I'd like to get a more definitive answer to.

I read that the manual trd ecu will work fine on an auto matrix. I also read that the vibe man/auto ecu is different... my question is, can I use a manual ecu in my auto vibe(base 04 auto)? I do not believe the Manual Tranny ECU is the same as the Auto

Also, what temp is the recommended TRD thermostat? There is a 160 and a 170. The monkey webpage says with the stock ecu, 160 could throw a check engine light for temps too low. Also, the 160 is $80 and the 170 is $30. If the 170 is ok, I'm thinking to just buy the $10 one from the parts store. Stant 1044 or something. 160-170 should both be fine. The heat that SC creates will certainly keep your 1zz in the correct operating temp range.

Also, the kit says not to use any sri or cai, will using a k&n sri with the trd ecu work? Will it help at all?

I used an Injen CAI with no problem. Not sure of gains, but it increased the volume of the blower whine. Note: It ran waaaaay rich on the dyno w/the stock box, so I was not concerned with a lean burn situation.

The kit also recommends spark plug upgrades. Denso or ngk plus. Is this necessary and which do you think is better? I did NGK and yes, you need to use the correct range plugs

Also what are your thoughts on installing motor mount inserts? Never felt the need for them, but I'm sure others would state otherwise

Does anyone have a current dose for the 2.3" pulley? I read that it doesn't increase boost, but makes boost faster. It couldn't hurt, could it? Sold my URD 2.3" to a member. Do not believe anyone is producing them now.

I just bought the setup used and I'm excited and nervous about the project. It doesn't look difficult, but there are 18 pages of instruction! Is there any advice/suggestions for me before I dive into this? Take your time, slow and steady. Check all fuel connections for leaks. Ensure good SC - to - Block seal

Thank you all for your time and forgive me if some of this information is already scattered throughout the forums.

By the way, this is what I'm thinking.

Base 04 auto stock. Trd supercharger kit with 5th injector and trd ecu + 170° Stant thermostat + k&n sri + recommended ngk plugs. Think it will be ok?
Yep! :mrgreen: Warning Boost is addicting P.S Get a boost gauge (the left center Air Vent makes a great, stock lookingc mounting point) And get a Trans Cooler..Your transmission will thank you!
Bare Bones Base, Abyss 2004 Vibe, Debadged, Auto, ABS, GM Performance Supercharger, Injen CAI, 2.3" URD Pulley, Unichip,Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler SOLD

1972 Plymouth Duster 340 (Strip/Street Project)
ken99287

Post by ken99287 »

Thank you very much, sir. That reminds me! I just installed the thing today but forgot to install the plugs! They're in the back!!
DiveNut

Post by DiveNut »

ken99287 wrote:Thank you very much, sir. That reminds me! I just installed the thing today but forgot to install the plugs! They're in the back!!

LOL...Congrats on the install!
Bare Bones Base, Abyss 2004 Vibe, Debadged, Auto, ABS, GM Performance Supercharger, Injen CAI, 2.3" URD Pulley, Unichip,Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler SOLD

1972 Plymouth Duster 340 (Strip/Street Project)
sgary

Post by sgary »

What specific plugs are recommended for use with the supercharger?, I just put in new Denso iridium (same as original plugs) last spring, I have a line on a supercharger setup, and want to make sure I put in the appropriate plugs if the current ones are not sufficient.

Very low miles since the last plug change as this vibe stays in the garage most of the time and is only out in nice weather.

-Steve
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

sgary wrote:What specific plugs are recommended for use with the supercharger?, I just put in new Denso iridium (same as original plugs) last spring, I have a line on a supercharger setup, and want to make sure I put in the appropriate plugs if the current ones are not sufficient.

Very low miles since the last plug change as this vibe stays in the garage most of the time and is only out in nice weather.

-Steve
two steps colder is the rule IIRC. don't forget the thermostat, at least 170, preferred is 160. mine is the 170, but I use meth (the proper way).