Keyless entry remote programming with aftermarket stereo

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
chynaboi90

Keyless entry remote programming with aftermarket stereo

Post by chynaboi90 »

Hey so for weeks now I have been trying to program remotes I got off Amazon with no luck .. I was told they sent the wrong ones from another company as my original did not have a panic button but the new ones do. So I order from that company that told me this just to see . But im wondering if having aftermarket stereo will stop me from programming the remote once it gets here .. I think this cause there was 2 wiring harness in the back of the factory stereo.. a regular head unit harness with lots of wires and a smaller one with only a few... The smaller one is. No longer in use or hooked up ... Car still runs year later no issues untill I decided I want a keyless entry after all .. so if the smaller harness not for the keyless entry what the heck is it for? The factory amp?
zbyers

Re: Keyless entry remote programming with aftermarket stereo

Post by zbyers »

1) The panic button version was offered on the Matrix. So long as you ordered the correct one, it will work on the Vibe fine.
2) Your radio has nothing to do with the key fob.
3) The factory radio uses both of the harnesses you see. Most aftermarket radios only use one of them if you use the correct adapter harness.
4) Do you have OEM power locks? If not, whether it's aftermarket or manual locks, a key fob would not be able to be programmed. If aftermarket power locks, you'd have to figure out whatever brand they are and see if they offer a key fob.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
chynaboi90

Re: Keyless entry remote programming with aftermarket stereo

Post by chynaboi90 »

Yes it's OEM locks . I had a remote when I got the car but it stoped working out of the blue and it seemed like the time I did the after market stero but not 💯 on that. The remote I ordered is OEM so hopefully it works . Find out tomorrow cause that's when it's supposed to be here. Thank you I'm glad that has nothing to do with it .