Alternator overcharging, over 15V

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
CNYDave

Alternator overcharging, over 15V

Post by CNYDave »

Hello all!

2005 Vibe (not GT not AWD), got a bunch of sensor codes including cam sensor, checked voltages first.
Basically no charging at idle, over 15V at battery with any revs, so fixing that is first I would assume.

But figured I'd check this wasn't just a vibe oddity.

Now the whole 1XX-FE vs 2ZZ-GE engine thing, most definitive I can find (from here) is if NOT a GT, if a base model or AWD, then it's the 1ZZ.
Important at the moment as the autoparts store says I need to know, the alternators for those engines are different.

I called dealer with the VIN as suggested here, most they can come up with is it's a "LV6" engine. 8th digit (from the right) is a '5'.
They also said they only show one alternator (they might have used the VIN not sure) and the GM part number is 88969480.

Any thoughts/reccomendations?

TIA
Dave
zbyers

Re: Alternator overcharging, over 15V

Post by zbyers »

Alternator for all 03-08 Vibes is interchangeable, even if it has a different part number.

You are correct... The 03-06 GT used the 2ZZ engine. All others used the 1ZZ. Generally, most things will be the same, except rear brakes (GT, base, AWD) suspension bits, and the engine related things. Headlights, body panels, front brakes,, interior stuff, etc. are all the same.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
CNYDave

Post by CNYDave »

As a thought,
I was wondering if maybe the 2ZZ had a higher redline, and maybe the alternator for that had a larger pulley to keep it's RPM below some limit.
Jbenrod

Post by Jbenrod »

You need to figure out which engine you have. It's not that difficult and there may be a sticker on your hood that will tell you.

How many miles on this Vibe? Earlier alternator failures have not been a problem on these cars.
2005 Base - 220k
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

If the voltage is over 14.5 V, the regulator circuit in the alternator is faulty. I don't know if it's separately serviceable on this alternator.
CNYDave

Post by CNYDave »

Jbenrod wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:11 pm You need to figure out which engine you have. It's not that difficult and there may be a sticker on your hood that will tell you.

How many miles on this Vibe? Earlier alternator failures have not been a problem on these cars.
Over 200,000 miles.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

It looks like they are serviceable. Here's a parts diagram for my '07: http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/us/200 ... ator#27387

This would be the replacement regulator for mine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-DENSO-TOYO ... 2108408004
CNYDave

Post by CNYDave »

andrewclaus wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:58 pm It looks like they are serviceable. Here's a parts diagram for my '07: http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/us/200 ... ator#27387

This would be the replacement regulator for mine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-DENSO-TOYO ... 2108408004
Cool, thanks, I was considering trying to find just the reg. The bearings seemed a little beat and I could change those too but just spring for a new one.

The charging seems OK but the idle is a little low to relieably not get the battery light at idle, but it might still be learning, I only went a few miles.