Power Locks installation

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
odysseus4

Power Locks installation

Post by odysseus4 »

Hey all, unsure where to put this so I'm going with here

I asked in the facebook group recently about a power lock actuator retrofit, maybe taking a junk sacrificial vibe or matrix, putting it's actuators panels all that in mine, and seeing how that would go, and it was recommended to me to get an aftermarket kit instead, specifically one from A1 Electric. After doing some browsing I found that this would be the kit for a vibe https://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/me ... _Code=W02C

I'm going to be ordering those somewhat soon, but before I do, I want to know, how easy of an install would it likely be? What sort of specialized tools would I need? I've never done one of these before, I'm assuming it's not a particularly difficult job, would it be better to try and find a professional for peace of mind?

Also, I'll be getting a singular lock switch that I'll be locating next to the coin holder near the mirror control panel, on the left side of the steering wheel where many have the liftglass release button. I haven't been able to find a hatch release kit on A1, despite them saying "Kits are available for 2 and 4 doors and an extra actuator can get you going in 5 doors." Did they simply mean get a 5th actuator, like this? https://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/me ... _Code=W16F And if so, would I have to wire that into the rest of the system, or would I be able to give it it's own switch? which would be better?

I won't be getting a keyless system from A1, as I'll likely be getting a keyless/remote start system installed afterwards from Compustar, specifically an FT-7200S-CONT. If anyone has any experience with that system, installing or simply using, feedback would be very appreciated

Thanks in advance
Account change

2003 Salsa Base 4 speed, 161k kilometers, JVC KW-X840BTS
dcjredline

Re: Power Locks installation

Post by dcjredline »

Ive been installing mobile electronics since about 1992 and since 1996 Professionally and I had the chance to buy my daughter a Vibe without power locks but wouldnt do it cause there is no way I would spend my time installing a kit like this instead of just waiting and finding her one with power locks. My time is much more valuable to me than the 5-8 hours this would probably take to do it correctly.

Just know, you are in for a big job. Back in the early 2000s when cars still didnt come with power locks more commonly I must have installed 1-2 of these type kits a month. You can probably do it yourself if you are pretty handy. Its just a lot of time for power locks... Id say get a single actuator for just your door unless you always have passengers and do the remote start keyless at the same time itll just be easier.
odysseus4

Post by odysseus4 »

Would it be simpler (and more worthwhile in terms of peace of mind) to just ask whoever is installing my remote start (because I'm gonna get a professional installation) to install the locks while they're at it? I'd probably provide the parts, I'd just want them to install them
Account change

SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

odysseus4 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:01 pm Would it be simpler (and more worthwhile in terms of peace of mind) to just ask whoever is installing my remote start (because I'm gonna get a professional installation) to install the locks while they're at it? I'd probably provide the parts, I'd just want them to install them
1. if you don't know how, yes, it would be easier to have somebody else do it. But, it likely won't be cheap.
2. they (more-than-likely) won't use any parts you provide simply for liability reasons.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
dcjredline

Post by dcjredline »

You are probably looking at $300-400 just for the power locks. Then $150-300 for the remote start but probably closer to the $150 cause there is no need for bypass modules.
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

dcjredline wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:06 pm You are probably looking at $300-400 just for the power locks. Then $150-300 for the remote start but probably closer to the $150 cause there is no need for bypass modules.
What year did they start adding transponder keys in the Vibe? I think they added that in a Matrix in 2005. I didnt see him say what year his Vibe was. Even then, if he looks around, he can find deals for them installed thru Best Buy. They just had a 2-way Compustar on sale for $265 installed, including the bypass. Local shops (always support local small business if you can!!) might be cheaper.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
dcjredline

Post by dcjredline »

SlammedNiss wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:53 pm
dcjredline wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:06 pm You are probably looking at $300-400 just for the power locks. Then $150-300 for the remote start but probably closer to the $150 cause there is no need for bypass modules.
What year did they start adding transponder keys in the Vibe? I think they added that in a Matrix in 2005. I didnt see him say what year his Vibe was. Even then, if he looks around, he can find deals for them installed thru Best Buy. They just had a 2-way Compustar on sale for $265 installed, including the bypass. Local shops (always support local small business if you can!!) might be cheaper.
I dont know that answer but my 08 doesnt have one and I have not seen one with an immobilizer in NY.
odysseus4

Post by odysseus4 »

SlammedNiss wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:53 pm
I've got an 03, and I've seen alot of advertisements on FB marketplace for compustar systems for like 340. I'd have to ask a quote tho. I think 03s did have keyless entry, it's mentioned in the owners manual, but I don't even have power locks so obviously I don't have that
Account change

joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Its been a month but if you haven't bought anything yet, it might be worth reaching out to seanx35 to see if the 04 Vibe he's parting out in https://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 46&t=47602 has the power package
odysseus4

Post by odysseus4 »

joatmon wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:51 pm Its been a month but if you haven't bought anything yet, it might be worth reaching out to seanx35 to see if the 04 Vibe he's parting out in https://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 46&t=47602 has the power package
Yeah I'm planning on eventually getting an aftermarket kit professionally installed, at a very reputable local shop with some spal actuators. They quoted me 750 for all 4 doors plus 200 for the hatch, but also just 480 for just the front doors. They could also add a keyless entry system for like 370 (these prices are in Canadian dollars btw)
Account change