Keyfob retrofit

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
03basevibesalsa

Keyfob retrofit

Post by 03basevibesalsa »

I've already asked on facebook if something like this would be worth it, so I'm going to ask here how hard it would be

I did some searching and found someone back in 2014 who was looking to add remote keyless entry to their vibe, but they already had power locks. I don't have power locks, so I believe I'd need to find an actuator before putting in an rke system. Where would I find the parts, and would it be particularly difficult to install a system myself from something like compustar? Also hoping for remote start, would that be particularly difficult to install myself? Would I be better off just getting it installed professionally so I know it'll work? And with my manual lock doors, would it be possible to get a lock/unlock button on the interior panel to work with the PDL or would that be way too complicated? 03 base
2003 base 4 speed auto FWD

If it ain't broken, don't attempt to fix it and in turn end up breaking it
joatmon

Re: Keyfob retrofit

Post by joatmon »

Hey odysseus4 ;)

My first vibe had manual locks, and I thought about adding them, but never did, so I do not know first hand how involved a task it is.

It comes up here from time to time, two approaches are to either scrounge the factory parts from junkyards, or get an aftermarket kit.
viewtopic.php?t=34345 is one previous thread about it.

If you get an aftermarket kit, be sure to get one that works with the cable type locks on the Vibe, as opposed to rod type locks on other cars. the hatch, however, is a rod type.

I am ignorant and of no value whatsoever when it comes to remote start
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

One of the guys on the GV Facebook group DID put power locks in his manual locks vehicle. He had to run a bunch of wiring, mount actuators and all of that fun stuff. From the sounds of it, it was not a very fun project.

There are a few on GV who have installed remote start too. I don't believe it's overly difficult, but 99% of the crap you do is under the drivers foot-well so you gotta be a human contortionist. My 07 came with remote start. But the fob was broken. :(
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
03basevibesalsa

Post by 03basevibesalsa »

What I've been thinking, since my wiring skills aren't amazing at the moment, is once I have the means (I'll hopefully be starting a job soon), I'll get the power locks and such put in, maybe power windows but probably not, and then I'll go and get a remote start/keyless system professionally installed, I've seen plenty of ads on marketplace for the system I want for a pro install would run around 300 bucks. I would do it myself, but better spending the money to make sure it's done right by someone who knows what they're doing than save some money and do it myself, an 18 year old that isn't even competent with soldering
2003 base 4 speed auto FWD

If it ain't broken, don't attempt to fix it and in turn end up breaking it