What other OEM stereos fit?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
theblurb

What other OEM stereos fit?

Post by theblurb »

Say I wanted to swap out my 2007 Vibe factory stereo with another unit with, ahem, functioning lights. Might another better Toyota or Pontiac stereo of similar vintage fit right in?
SlammedNiss

Re: What other OEM stereos fit?

Post by SlammedNiss »

Pretty much anything that is 1.5 DIN will fit. You'd have to get a different harness though to adapt to the existing wiring.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

For a direct swap, including p-n-p of wires, without an adapter, you're stuck with 03-08 Vibe, and 03-04 Matrix.

However, you can buy cheap double din roads, or even single dins, that have much better features and functional lights. A cheap headunit with bluetooth, aux, USB, can be had for like $50. The wiring adapter is probably $10, and the dash kit is probably $20. For less than $100, you could have a hell of a lot better of a unit.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Yeah I too will be looking into an aftermarket unit soon. Bulbs are starting to go out "intermittently" and a few of the most common buttons are worn to where you don't know what they are anymore. Plus I really want one with a backup camera. Mid-summer/late fall project for the 2004 Vibe GT ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

theblurb wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:38 pm Might another better Toyota or Pontiac stereo of similar vintage fit right in?
GM of the era offered a number of radios that looked the same as the ones in the Vibe, however, there are internal differences. The Vibe was unique, all the others used a "data bus" that tied the radio to the computer, which provided an anti-theft "feature" requiring the radio to match the vehicle VIN somehow. If you get a radio that looks similar from a Chevy, it will be locked out in your vibe.

Its not that hard to replace the burned out lights